Know Before You Go - West Palm Beach, FL

I was having eyelid surgery to improve my droopy...

I was having eyelid surgery to improve my droopy eyes and decided why not go ahead and get a facelift while I was at it. Big mistake. The facelift turned out to be more invasive and severe than I had thought or imagined it would be. Nothing went wrong really, but it was so intense. I just want anyone thinking about having this surgery to realize that half of the backs of your ears are cut into, as well as the edge of the front of your ears and the rim of the back of your neck. This is very, very painful. It is not a superficial cut, it is a deep cut from which they pull the muscle. Then they cut the excess muscle before they stitch you up. The day after my surgery I felt I was being chocked. I had to take off the elastic bandage. The bones on the front of my neck felt crushed. The first week was pure torture. My face was numb and swollen, the sides of my face felt unnatural and hard. I had to sleep in a sitting position for weeks. My neck, shoulders and back were under a lot of stress. Pain pills were the only relief. When I finally took a look at the back of my ears and neck, I was freaked out, my husband jokingly called me Frankenwoman. It was funny, but true there were so many stitches he lost count. He took pictures and I was incredulous. I couldn't believe I had done this to myself. I touched the stitches and they felt like barb wire. After the stitches came out the following week I was expecting a great relief, but there was none. The tightness, numbness and stiffness were still there. I am now in my fifth week post op. yes, it has improved. There is still significant numbness on the sides of my face and under my chin. Had I known then what I know now, no I wouldn't have done it. I feel that the suffering I went through and yet have to go through just wasn't worth this pain and discomfort. I may have turned the clock back, but this suffering has aged me.
Dr.E

My Doctor is a sweetheart. A very gentle and caring man.

So sorry you've had a rough time of it! I truly hope that in time you will find this worth it. Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with others.
Gee, My surgery is scheduled in 3 weeks (eye lids, browlift, mini lift, and chin lipo) and just when I was feeling pretty confident that it would not be horrible - then I see your review - Ouch!! Thanks for your honesty, and I hope you do feel it was worth it in the end.
Classic, I had everything you're going to have done plus more. I'm 4 weeks post and I'm very, very happy I had it done. We all go through the "what did I do?" moments, it's normal. I never had any pain, just some discomfort. You'll be fine :)
You will be fine. Everyone heals in their own time. Some have an easier time, others more difficult, but in the long term, overwhelmingly, the people on here say they are happy with the results.
well I had my surgery a week ago, and I must say I am one of the unlucky ones - pain was way more than "discomfort" both ears constant throbbing and burning. Finally started to subside after day 3. Both ears are still very painful to touch and still many bruises around neck.Both eyes severely bruised but has diminished a lot .
You will be happy in the end you did it. Clearly, you must have wanted to see some "updating" of your face and while, not fun during the recovery, most everyone on here says it was worth it. That is after the fact and once they are well. LOL
Hang it there, it'll be worth it in the end. I had mine done 4 weeks ago and am experiencing the same things you are but some friends here on RS give me pep talks. (((Hugs)))