Breast Reduction Went Well...Except My Nipple is Going to Fall OFF! - West Bloomfield, MI

I've had large breasts my entire adult life. Same...

I've had large breasts my entire adult life. Same story as most women; back problems, difficulty exercising, constantly uncomfortable. I researched surgeons and chose a well recommended, board certified plastic surgeon. I had the procedure done 3 weeks ago. The procedure itself was fine. Minimal pain, significant bruising and swelling, nothing too major except my nipple turned black and is in the process of FALLING RIGHT OFF!

Within 24 hours after surgery I noticed that my right nipple looked a bit purple. I called the surgeon and a nurse answered the call. She mentioned that the doctor had noticed a discoloration during the procedure (which no one told me or my husband about). I was told to place cold compresses on the right side (it was very swollen). That seemed to help with the swelling, but in the course of a few hours my nipple became even darker.

I called the surgeon back later in the evening and spoke directly to him. He mentioned that he removed a significant amount of tissue on my right side and that he "thought this might happen." Long story short, after several post ops the surgeon told me there is nothing that he can do. It basically looks like a big black scab that is going to peel off.
Also, there was a random cut on the left side of my breast. Up high, not near any incisions. No mention of this by the surgeon again. I'm frustrated and upset. I didn't realize that this was a possible side effect and it makes we wonder if my surgeon screwed up. :/
I don't smoke, I'm young, healthy, and exercise (I completed the Insanity workout a few weeks ago). The shape of my breasts is great and the reduced weight is wonderful. The procedure was still worth it, but I obviously wish my nipple was intact. I'm scared and nervous about what's going to happen and what it will look like when it does fall off.

Post-Op

I had a post op yesterday and the surgeon reiterated that the nipple will fall off. He stated that he didn't want to debride it because he didn't know how deep the wound is. So basically, I just have to deal with this until the scab falls off in 2-3 weeks. It's gross and annoying that the healing process is taking much longer, but it is what it is. My husband is sick of me talking about it, so I'll just come on here if I need support. :) Thanks everyone for your kind words. It really makes me feel better since this isn't something you can casually bring up in many conversations. Haha.

Still Healing

I've had several post ops with my surgeon since my last post. He is confident that everything will heal within 2-3 months. After that, I plan on getting a tattoo on the nipple area. It doesn't hurt, but the affected area is getting larger. The doctor wasn't concerned about that at my last visit although it freaked me right out. It looks terrible right now and I'm having a lot of emotional distress about it, however, I know that in time it will be fine. Thank you everyone for your support. I'm planning on continuing to post throughout my healing post so that I can help anyone else who goes through this.

Still going through a thoroughly disgusting healing process.

The healing process for losing a nipple is gross. And emotionally tough. It's hard to look at everyday. I know the end result will be fine, but right now it looks horrible. I'm including some additional photos so if anyone else goes through this they will know what to expect. That's been the hardest thing for me. Not knowing if what I"m going through is normal. My doctor has been very helpful in explaining things to me, but it's still scary and unsettling to see my body going through this And it was obviously not what I expected to happen going into this procedure. The surgeon says I have about 6 more weeks to heal completely.

LROhio - thank you for posting pictures. I too think that the not knowing if something is normal or if there is a problem is just the worst! I can completely understand your freaking out, it looks awful! (meant in a kind supportive way). Your other breast looks beautiful and I hope after your other breast heals and you get a tatoo you love them both. (Are you going wit a nipple looking tatoo or just go with flow and get something totally different?)
Hello. Omg I had my surgery 5 weeks ago and was told to take a shower the second week. Well when I did I noticed my nipples started coming up and peeling away until my flesh appeared. Now for 3 weeks I have had to put antibiotic cream on the wound and just wear shorts bra and feel helpless until further notice. This looks totally gross and although I love the shape of my breast I can't enjoy them because of my areolas falling off. How long do I have to wait on complete healing? Also in now feeling itching and burning sensations in that area...It's this normal?
Hello janaesanay I'm goin through the same thing you goin through it is so stressing for me...did your doctor say he or she can fix it
Hi. He just said we have to let the skin come back then depending how it looks we can tattoo my areola around the nipple to make it look natural. I am convinced it is nothing he can do. How long ago have you had your surgery?
I jus had it on May 22 and my doctor was telling me that he going to redo my nipple but I don't see how from the looks of it it might be artificial and I don't want that be he said it's not goin to be artificial if I would of knew this was goin to happen I would have never done it everyday I have to put cream on it and have a bandage over it
He also told me that my nipple is under the scalp but I don't believe it
Yes! Omg I was told to let it run its course! Have you showered any further and let any water hit it? I'm so scared that I just wrote around it and clean it that way. I'm so afraid to have to start the process again.
Ya I started showering like 3 days after the surgery he gave me some silvadene cream to out on it but it's not working I jus want him to fix this and stop giving me the run around
I am using that same cream. Girl how long have you been going thru this now?
I noticed my nipple looked purple the second day of my surgery I asked the doctor do it supposed to look like that he said ya everything ok but like on the 28th of may a piece of my areola came off and I started using that cream
So now it look real bad he jus keep telling me that he want the scalp to fall off I'm like hell shit jus take it off and fix it
Yup same thing happened to me. So I have been going to my doctor for the past 4 weeks and using the cream everyday and changing my dressings on the nipple area. My nipples are still attached....it's the areolas around it that have my flesh just out. It looks so gross I have been so depressed. He seems to think it all started from an allergic reaction from the tape that was around the nipple when I came out of surgery. It's so sad. I just want to see real progress because it's moving slowly and I feel so help less
I probably still have my nipple but I can't tell cus it a piece of sore that's in the way he told me I'm not goin to loose my nipple so I'm goin by his word ya its the areola that look bad it's like a big hole on one side and it's so irritating cus it itch so bad
He told me that the reason it's like that is because he had to take out more tissue
Under my breast it's open flesh to u can see the white meat I'm like what the hell
Yup on my right breast I'm having that too! It started from being a blister then it peeled off and exposed my flesh. So I can't even enjoy my new nicely shaped breast smh
I'm jus tired of wearing this bandage I have to sleep with a surgical bra they gave me to hold it in place and it's irritating he was telling me not to b around smoke cus it will slow the healing process
Hi, so sorry! Going through what I believe you did... but my surgeon is calling it a superficial loss...what the heck....same thing right? I'm not mad at him, I realized its a risk, but same as with you no one mentioned lost circulation post op until day two! ?! He says its a partial loss... meaning what...I'm sure your mind was rinning with these questions too.. my nipple is not black black there's still pink but its kinda rubbing off... I just want an answer. Beating around the bush for two weeks is killing me!! Any new pics?
Hi. Thanks for sharing! I am going through this same thing right now. It's scary! How are you doing now? What does it look like now? Thanks!!
It looks ok now. Lots of scar tissue, but overall I would say my results are ok. I think I'll be getting a tattoo to cover some of the scarring. It was really hard to go through the whole healing process and not know what to expect. Feel free to ask me any questions!
Hi, I just want to let you know that you will get through this. Just lean on the Lord. He will get you through. I will pray for you.
It happened to me when i was 17. I had really urge breast...and my right nipple died and had to be removed. The surgery points opened and i had half of my breast in flesh for almost 4 months. As you, i was healthy, no smoker and no other health issues. 7 months after the reduction, i had to get my surgery re-done with make the scars look less horrible and to reconstruct the nipple. After all this time, now im 31 years old, i still have some menthal issues about it... i never told about it with my friends, i feel not so confident to be naked in front of guys...i actually I never had a boyfriend and I just have night stands with some guys im sure I wont ever see them again, because i feel ashamed and i think nobody is going to love me that way. Im sorry to say those things, but i hope your husband can support you more on this journey...and nowdays the technology is great, im pretty sure you'll be able to fix it in the better way possible. A big hug, wish you the best.
I to am going through what you are going through, I just had surgery two weeks ago and my right nipple died also, I live here in Michigan. I'm scared an sick about this hole thing, my husband won't even look at me now. I cry when I see myself my stitches open up under my other breast and it is a mess also, I'm in a lot of pain and been to the ER three times in the past week.. I would like to talk more to you just not out in the open like this. My email is .. K.bear08@hotmail.com if you could help me throughout this by talking to me that would be great.. Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing your story.. K.bear 08
Hello, LR! How are you? I hope you're doing better and your nipple has healed. I'm praying for you and I know it will look good after it's healed!
I'm so sorry you went through this, it's scary not knowing what will happen next but you do have great shaped boobs and they will heal and you will come through this. You've done really well and been very strong. I really wish your surgeon was more supportive, I don't understand why he can't explain what the other cut is?! Have you asked any RS doctors for their advice?