Waste of Money and Painful!

I've always had thin lips and while in for Fraxel...

I've always had thin lips and while in for Fraxel treatment, I was sold on the use of Juvederm to plump up my lips. The same numbing cream that was used for my face was also put on my lips. In the normal action of swallowing and moving my lips, some of the cream got into my mouth and I could feel the numbing cream acting on the interior of my mouth as well as my throat which was an uncomfortable feeling.

When the Fraxel (Restore) was finished, I was brought to another room and sat in a comfortable reclining leather chair and the Dr. began applying the Juvederm. The pain was worse than I had anticipated and I could not keep tears from escaping my eyes. The Dr. offered to anesthetize my lips but at the same time suggested it would be better not to, so I told him to keep going.

He stuck me perhaps 18 times, top and bottom lips and massaged the filler into place. The result was ok, but I will never do it again, due tot he extreme pain I experienced.

My lips also were heavily black and blue for 10 days post treatment and I was very self-conscious about that, as lipstick didn't cover it well. No one at the PS center had told me recovery would take so long or that the treatment would make my lips so ugly looking for so many days.

I suggest anyone considering this treatment think twice is you have a low pain threshold or bruise easily.

He didn't think it was necessary to use an anesthetic, even after seeing the intense pain I was experiencing.

I had Juvederm done three days ago and immediately saw a bruise in the bottom right side of my lip. And the bruise trickled down past the bottom of my lip....looks like a big bad cold sore. Anyway, I'm not suprised it happened, it's all a part of the process. The nurse said it might be a reaction to the lidocaine but I've had lidocaine in my lips before (i had the mini-lip done) so its definitely not lidocaine. I'll bet the needle hit a blood vessel. I have to go get some bromelain, I can only eat so much pineapple in one day! I'm also filming a commercial in less than a week so I really need to speed up the healing!
Had juvederm injected in my nose to mouth line and it caused severe bruising, especially under my eye, though I didn't have the filler put there. Can anyone comment on why this happened.One side of my face is still swollen and it's been 5 days.
i recently had juvaderm injected into my lips and was severely bruised not only on my upper lips but over the lip...looks like a hitler black mustache. i was not warned of this. took pictures six days later and sent them to the dr. responsible for this. she would not refund me. i am and RN and seriously, with wll the damage she caused, i should really be reimbursed!
ummm...i have juvaderm all the time without having to use a dental block. looks and sounds like you unfortunately had a newbie injecting you.
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. When I inject lips, I numb patients with both a cream and a nerve block similar to what you receive at the dentist. It makes the lip injection virtually pain free. You should ask for a dental block next time. The lips are very vascular and bruise easily even in the very best hands. Your bruising is not unexpected. The doctor could have warned you of the bruising risks. Some feel that taking Arnica Montana and Bromelien (herbal remedies) can help with bruising. You may want to try it before your next injection. YOu should also be off aspirin, motrin, advil or any anti-inflammatory for at least two weeks prior to injection. High dose vitamin E, vitamin A, St John's wort, Flax Oil and Omega 3 fatty acid supplements also increase bruising risk. Hopefully your result is worth the suffering. Juvederm ultra plus lasts 9 months in my lips when adequately filled. I do think it is the best lip filler currently available. I have tried pretty much everything. I always bruise but with Arnica Montana, it seems to go away faster. Better luck next time.
I agree. Having your lips augmented should not have been a horrible experience. It all lies with the care and competance of the person doing the injecting. I would insist on a dental block next time, and don't take no for an answer. I have Restylane about once a year and always get a block. My experiences have all been good ones, and I really am averse to pain!
Sounds like you had an awful doctor! And, I would think doing it at the same time as the laser wouldn't help either, I know they say it's ok, but your face is going thru enough with the laser as is. Should have time to heal first! That doctor should have used the dental block for sure! No idea why not! And, most doctors aren't great at it anyway, I did tons of research, for a year first, and found a doctor that puts it in a different area than most do(he give speeches all over america, he's amazing!) Most lip enhancements don't show a big difference, unless they use a lot of filler, which is totally wrong! It's where the doctor puts it that makes the biggest difference. In only 1cc my very thin lined lips went to perfect big and beautiful lips. Dr. Cruise in Newport, amazing. Sorry to hear your horrible results!!! Oh, and the first time I got it, it did bruise for a week, the second and third time(year apart each) didn't hardly at all, maybe my lips got used to it? Good luck!!!
I totally disagree, I think your lips have a nice subtle plump and shape to them now, especially if you had a really thin upper lip. Look how pretty your cupids bow is now. You absolutely must have a dental block for this procedure. I cant imagine having it done without it. You would have to scrape me off the ceiling. I hope the final result makes you happy.
wow, how long after the injections is this picture taken?? I don't know what your lips looked like before but hate to say I do not see any evidence of having Juvederm done?? I had it with dental block, it didn't really hurt but my results lasted a few months....sorry for your pain and not so great results :-(