never again!!! - Washington, DC

I had been using trays and gels from my usual...

I had been using trays and gels from my usual dentist for years anytime I wanted to freshen up my smile (get my teeth a little whiter). Every 6 months I would do the trays for about an hour a night for three nights and it worked great. However I lost my trays during a move. Around this time I saw a coupon for zoom online (from a different dentist) so I decided to give it a try.

The dentist's office explained the procedure and then gave me four 15 minute doses of the ultraviolet light. I felt no pain during the procedure except there were some painful "zingers" during the last minute which were pretty intense, but i endured it.

I asked to see a mirror after they finished and I was VERY dissatisfied. The teeth only went up a couple of shades, but the whitening was not even across my teeth. Only the front part seemed to get white. I smiled and the sides and part of the bottom of my teeth were still yellow. I was tired after being there for 2 hours and wanted to go home. On my way home my teeth really started to hurt so I stopped and got some aspirin (which did no good). My teeth hurt til I fell asleep around midnight. They still hurt the next morning until around noon.

This process seemed very unnatural to me. The pain was A LOT more than I expected and the results were not good. Thank goodness I did not pay full price for this ($600). Maybe they just did not know what they were doing, but I will never let anyone do this to me again. I will go back to my original dentist and get him to make me some more trays. That worked beautifully for me, my teeth were all one color and there was no pain. No more zoom for me!

I question whether the procedure was done properly.

Hi norm,

Other community members have mentioned they needed to go in more than once to see full results. Did you go back and ask the dentist about that? The pain is called zingers, I'm sorry they did not tell you about them, maybe you could have at least expected it, or at least been prepared. I'm glad you have an alternative to have your teeth whitened. Why did you not go to your original dentists for the procedure? Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt