Rhinoplasty, Deviated Septum, Turbinate Reduction Surgery - Washington, DC

For medical reasons, I had my septum straightened...

For medical reasons, I had my septum straightened and my turbinates reduced. I also opted to have a rhinoplasty. I ended up having a closed rhinoplasty, although I was warned that the surgery could be open, if needed, once I got to the OR. The surgery was fairly easy. I experienced a headache and nausea right after surgery. After surgery, splints were left in my nose as well, packing. The packing was removed 24 h after surgery.

The splints were left for 1 week after surgery. They caused me to be extremely congested. I went in to see Dr. Chaboki, before my one week post-op appointment, and he cleared up the mucous that was making me congested. Pain was minimal and I ended up taking a few over-the-counter tylenols during the whole week. I bruised very minimally (nearly unnoticeable). Before and right after surgery, I watched my diet very carefully avoiding excess salt. I also took lots of vitamin C (no idea if this did anything). I followed Dr. Chaboki's advice about post-care and had no issues.

After my splints were removed, my nose was extremely swollen. On the recommendation of Dr. Chaboki, I started to take Arnica montana (orally and topically). This helped reduce my swelling, I believe. I continued to take it for 2-months after surgery. For me, the biggest issue with healing was my breathing. The air was going into my nose cold and creating a burning sensation. I found that instead of elevating my head back, elevating it forward helped (possibly to increase the blood flow?). I also used saline spray very frequently to help alleviate the symptoms. My nose continued to feel cold and burn for several months after surgery. The healing has been slow, but I can see the progress. I am approximately 6-months post-op now and have residual cold and burning sensations. I only use the saline spray as needed.
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

I only visited Dr. Chaboki. I never saw any other surgeons, even though he encouraged me to do so. I felt at ease with Dr. Chaboki. Before my procedure, I was looking for someone who had a conservative approach to surgery and who wasn't going to give me a nose, like every other nose. Dr. Chaboki met my expectations and I felt that I didn't need to look any further. He is also a trained ENT physician, so in addition to his facial plastic surgery expertise, he has a solid understanding of the medical needs related to the nose. This was another draw to Dr. Chaboki. Dr. Chaboki is a very calm and attentive physician. His work is meticulous and he is extremely skilled. I had a lot of work done on my nose and nobody recognized that I had done anything different to my face. I believe that this is the hallmark of an excellent surgeon. While waiting in pre-op, several of his staff members came and told me about their /or their family member's experiences with Dr. Chaboki's work. They were all impressed by his skill, especially to use closed surgical techniques.

Thank you for sharing your experience on RealSelf! I'm glad you're pleased with your results.

do you have pics? glad you are well. I plan on taking tons of vit c to aid healing and both types of arnica, thnx for great tips!