3 Hours in and I'm Glad I Did It. -Washington, DC

I'm 29 and in good shape (body and face), but in...

I'm 29 and in good shape (body and face), but in the last 2-3 year lines around my mouth [nasolabial lines] have been starting to form. I don't really have folds, maybe very mild ones, but the lines made me feel like I looked older than I should. A weird bout with adult onset acne and tons of medication I think perhaps prematurely aged my face, but just the shape of my face--where lines naturally crease on me and not others--plus that fact that I smile all the time is likely to blame as well as just...time. Anyway, I finally decided to give juvederm a try and talked with my dermatologist about it for over a year. I was so nervous before the procedure after reading some horror stories, but my doctor told me the chances of the really bad side-effects happening (like necrosis, etc) were extremely low. So, I sucked it up and we went forward. After the numbing gel they'd put on my face an hour before I barely felt a thing (more like a needle being lightly dragged against my skin than anything). I had Juvederm ultra xc so it had lidocain in it. She didn't need a full syringe and kept checking with me if I liked the look. It's so subtle and right now my smile doesn't appear to be altered. They gave me ice packs and sent me home. I started icing in the car and have been doing so on and off for the last 2.5 hours. There's a little discoloration--it's slightly lighter where the line would be and maybe a little yellow which makes me think I might eventually get some bruising. Other than that and the tiniest pinprick size marks that I think I can cover with makeup there's no sign that anything was done. I started taking arnica yesterday and I should have stopped drinking caffeine and alcohol before hand, but I didn't. I'm also applying arnica gel which my doc recommended and was conveniently available for less than $7 in the pharmacy downstairs. Right now I'm very pleased, but I'm reserving judgement until I see how things develop over the next week. I will post before and during and after pictures later. I hope this helps some other men and women out there considering this procedure. For me, I'm doing it as preventative care (the same reason I use retin-a) I don't want to look 22 forever, but I want to age as gracefully as modern technology and my budget will allow ;)

"but I want to age as gracefully as modern technology and my budget will allow ;)" Hahaha, love this line! I am on the same page!

So glad to hear that all turned out well. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures! That is always so much fun. :)

I would love it if you would start a retin-a review as well. I want to hear about how all of your age resisting techniques are working!

Just over 2 weeks

So, I did bruise on one side--it gradually appeared over four hours--but was able to cover it with makeup (my boyfriend didn't even notice). Now, two weeks in and I really couldn't be happier. Honestly, I kind of wish I'd done it earlier. It's a really subtle change in terms of the folds because they weren't that bad. The most surprising thing to me was that the actual lines around my mouth (which appeared after I smiled a lot) diminished! I mean, they are basically gone and I didn't think filler would do anything for them.

I can feel the product a little when I make a certain face, but only I can tell it's there. I'm super pleased with the results and feel good that the product has positive side effects like increasing collagen production. I feel like I'm not just throwing away such a large amount of money on vanity, but investing in the future of my skin. I will post pics soon!

Thanks, Megan! I should do a retin review, but I've been on again off again with it and so many different brands it'd be tough. Overall, I'd say the retin micro is great once you get over the dry skin period and learn how often you can apply it. I do every other night and use it with a steroid cream. The next day my skin always glows!

What you wrote above would make a great start to a review. I was all over the place when I started retin-a too, most of my reviews I leave as "undecided" until I know for sure, then I just journal about how my progress is going, the changes I've made, etc. I think its helpful for people to hear the entire process, so if you ever decide you are up for it, feel free to start one. You can always change your Worth It Rating, so you aren't making a huge commitment to telling everyone it was or was not worth it. :)

6 months and still going strong.

It's still there although it's diminished a little (I think). My favorite part is that I can smile away all night long those parenthesis lines that used to kind of set in aren’t there or are faint and disappear quickly. I will definitely get a "refill" when the time comes.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Washington DC Dermatologist

I really can't say enough positive things about Dr. Chang. She just really knows her craft and cares deeply about her patients. Going to see her the first time was one of the best decisions I've made in the last 4 years. I was nervous that there was no "book" of before and after pictures for patients she's injected, but her reputation and 11 years of experience were enough to put me at ease. I'd recommend her to anyone with any skin issues or who wants to make sure that they don't have any skin issues in the future. Also, all the people who work at Integrated on K street are great; the ladies up front are always super helpful and friendly and seem to take real pride in doing their jobs well. It's a rare combination of qualities that makes this office the best I think I've ever been to.