Half the Man I Used to Be - Washington, DC

In 2011, I weighed 540 lbs. with high blood...

In 2011, I weighed 540 lbs. with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and pre-diabetic. I have lost over 300lbs in 2 years and n longer am threatened by my previous health conditions. Before I couldn't walk a city block without resting but now I have discovered a life where I eat healthier and I walk 8-10 miles daily. I am very passionate about speaking about my weight loss success with others.

Joseph Afram

Internet research

Hey It was nice meeting you in support group.My surgery is next week and I can't wait:)

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

Congratulations on your weight loss, that's such a great achievement! You look awesome in your before/after photos, you've obviously put a lot of hard work and effort into losing the weight!

Did you find it difficult post-op, to change your diet and stop eating all of the things you ate before the surgery?

Hello Kirsty and Realself, Thank you for providing us weight loss patients a forum to be able to share our experiences with others and to also help those of us that have had some success to share that with others. Thank you for your compliments, yes my surgery was only the beginning and I learned quickly that there is so much more to losing the weight and changing to a much healthier lifestyle. And to answer your question about the difficultly of changing my diet. Honestly, before my surgery I attended more than a few support meetings that were provided by my surgeon's office that included many of his patients that were either preparing for surgery or in some cases, patients that had been a few years post op. There were more than a few people at those meetings that were more than happy to share their experiences with me and my surgeon's office also had a nutritionist at those meetings that was there to help with any questions I would have about food choices. Due to my life long history of really bad food choices that left me just 2 years ago a 540 lb man, I thought that there would be no way to shut off the enormous appetite I had. But, the surgery forced me to change. I could no longer eat all the sweets and greasy foods that I loved. I not only changed the foods that I was eating, but a new "very active" version of me was born. Furthermore, the 540 lb man that struggled to walk a block or 2, got motivated to move. I now walk 15,000 to 20,000 steps daily, along with a healthier diet of foods. Yes, it was a struggle in the very beginning, but with my girlfriend Liz's support, my surgeon's offices support and the surgery itself, I found new "reborn" me that wanted to eat healthier, and wanted to stay active.

Thanks for you update. I'm so glad your enjoying being a part of RealSelf. It's very important that people going through this journey have a support system and can share their story. I know your journey will be an inspiration to the other community members who come to RealSelf.

You've really made a positive change to your life and it shows. It sounds like you enjoy life much more now! It's not an easy journey and even with the surgery, it takes a lot of hard work, but you've shown just what all of that hard work can achieve!

I'm so proud of all your dedication, commitment and achievement. Keep up the good work! Love you!

You've both done so well!

Thanks! I think we work well on our weight loss because we support each other and keep each other in check. A great support system is key to our success.

Well it's definitely worked, you both should be proud! Keep up the good work, your stories are an inspration to the other community members!