Fraxel Dual (1927) Got Rid of my Melasma with One Treatment! - Washington D.C.

It's been four days since I opted to have...

It's been four days since I opted to have Fraxel Dual (1927) on my face for stubborn melasma. I am truly amazed - although I have to say I was a nervous wreck before hand because of all the unhappy people who have tried Fraxel. My colleague recommended her doctor, who did Fraxel on her five times (although not the new Fraxel Dual), and he came highly praised for his skill.

Some background on me: I'm half German/half Palestinian with light olive skin. I've gone through two pregnancies, and developed melasma with my first pregnancy on both sides of my nose and on my upper lip, with some on my forehead and temples.

I've tried Kligman's formula, 2 and 4% hydroquinone, Triluma, Retin-A (which I've used anyway since I was 19 for acne), a series of microdermabrasions, a series of chemical peels, a series of IPL treatments, you name it. I found that the IPL did lift some of the melanin and that, coupled with using Triluma for a year (forget about using it for 6 weeks - you need far longer to see results, and my doctor confirmed it), did lighten my melasma enough for my husband to notice. But it still really REALLY bugged me - my make-up never really covered it - well, I don't need to go into why I hated my melasma, because you wouldn't be reading this if you didn't suffer the same problem.

I'm 41 years old, and I have to say that my skin had also been looking tired and dull, with some freckling. I spent some time at the beach as a teenager, but since I was 18 I have used sunblock judiciously, so I think my skin, from a wrinkling standpoint, is in good shape. But my color was dull and I just looked gray, even though I'm a huge face scrub fan.

When I made an appointment with the doctor, he suggested the new Fraxel Dual with the new 1927 wavelength that specifically targets hyperpigmentation.

I had the procedure done last Friday. They put some numbing cream on my face, and the procedure was not too bad from a pain standpoint. The doctor did it himself, and he took his time to explain everything to me. Immediately afterward my skin actually looked better (for me) because that slight sunburned/ruddy look is something I hadn't had in a while.

Saturday was still okay - your skin literally feels like sandpaper - but Sunday my skin started to slough in some areas, and I knew I wasn't allowed to touch it. So I basically looked like I had some lumpy sand on my face that I couldn't wait to rub off. I washed twice a day with Cetaphil only, and then followed that with Aquaphor. I also noticed that if I rubbed Aquaphor on my face during the peeling stage BEFORE I washed my face (my peeling really set in Monday evening, so the third day after the procedure), the grease literally lifted off the dead skin cells like eraser bits. Well, it is now Tuesday, and my skin is PERFECT!!! I can't believe it, the melasma is as good as gone!

I will go in one more time for my upper lip in six weeks, because the skin is thicker, and there is some deeper pigment there, but I never thought it would work this well. My skin is rosy, refreshed, so much brighter - everyone says there is something different and that I look really good, but they can't tell what it is. And my husband said I looked younger and less tired, which is also what my colleague said. My pores have really tightened as well. It was like doing an IPL treatment, but so much more powerful. And yet I didn't feel like it really "burned" my skin the way other people describe some lasers do.

I would say go to a doctor who knows what they're doing - don't get it done at a spa or by a clinician. The provider is most important!!! If you have melasma or dull, blotchy skin and haven't tried Fraxel Dual with the 1927 wavelength, you really should research a good, experienced (preferably someone who teaches the technique) physician and make an appointment.

Updated on Mar 23, 2010

Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

I just had fraxel dual on 1927 today - I had bleph surgery (upper and lower) plus a mini lift last year - I do fillers and botox - I am very fair blue eyed European descent. I decided to get fraxel dual to deal with some fine lines under eyes and along cheeks, plus large pores and feathering around mouth corners. the whole procedure was very smooth - didn't feel pain (a 3 on a scale of 10) Face is red and only a tiny bit swollen. I'm more concerned with a brownish coloured tan ring around my left eye where the eye protector sat - the right eye doesn't have this mark. I sent photos to the laser specialist and she said it looks normal and this is just how these things heal (note - the Right Eye does not have the semi-circle!) I'm upset that I now have ruined my eye with a permanent brown tan circle! I don't know what to do! So upset!
Hi Anon, I'm italian and was born in rome,i don't have dark skin.
This is the 3rd day post my fraxel restore dual 1927 treatment and the brown skin is shedding from all over my face and i can see the fresh pink new skin coming through,there is a beautiful fresh glow in the skin underneath,its very exciting,stay tuned!
Would you mind letting us know what your ethnicity is? It seems that darker skin individuals scar or hyper-pigment more than fair skin people.
Thanks for posting your initial results.It sounds like everything is going as expected. I'm sure you're going to be happy with the final results. With respect to the hyper-pigmentation on my face, I began using Lustra-Ultra Hydoroquinone 4% shortly after I posted on this site. My doctor gave me a sample to see how I would do with it and unlike the Triluma, it worked without irritating my skin. I began using it 3 weeks ago, every other night, and the areas have all but cleared up. What remains of the hyperpigmentation looks like a few freckles. I've also begun to use retinol .025% which has helped to exfoliate and increase cell reproduction. Subsequently, I've decided not to proceed with laser treatment for now. Thanks for your posts and best wishes.
Hi anon..

i have started using lustra-ultra 1 month ago...it did work on some spots but i had these hyperpigmentation spots since 10 yrs.. they are appearing a bit more darker so i am debating whether to continue using this product. Does the cream make them look darker initially and then make them lighter.. did you observe anything like that????

any response.. i would appreciate..

Thanks
I'm no doctor, but maybe the skin surrounding the spots is lightening as well, throwing your dark areas into sharper relief. I would definitely give it time.
Yes. I noticed there were areas which appear to be getting lighter at first, but than, seem to darken slightly again. Notwithstanding, the pigmentation looks lighter than before in general. I think the combination of Retin A(1%), and periodic use of lustra, has helped to fade the pigmentation to some extent. Wish I could say something more encouraging, but that's where things are for now. I'll post again if I find anything else that works better, Best wishes.
Thanks.. i would go check with my doctor and then continue using it. Thanks again for your response.
Today is 2 days post my fraxel restore dual 1927 treatment and my skin has turned very brown and the swelling has gone right down but there is still a little under the eyes and jaw,i have flaking skin on my jawline and it feels very dry itchy but not to unpleasant,it looks like i've just come back from the snow and had some sun because of the white circles around my eyes,very happy so far.
I had the fraxel retore dual 1927 laser on friday(yesterday)and am very happy so far,i had the numbing gel applied one hour before and during the treatment i didn't experience any pain at all but you can feel some warmth on your skin,after the treatment my face was slightly red and swollen under the eyes and the jawline and i noticed when i arrived home the swelling had increased a little,i applied dermaveen moisturizer and felt quite happy and content as the doctor had advised me before hand on what to expect,i had some acne scaring on both sides of my jaw,the left side had one deep scar and right side one not as deep, the doctor did a few extra pass's on the scared area's,that's why my jawline had extra swelling,the doctor also used the fraxel on my neck because i had red and brown pigmention on both sides,its about 27 hours after the treatment and i'm very surprised on how well my skin looks,the swelling has gone down quite alot and my skin has turned brown,its flaking on both sides of the jaw where the scaring was,i cant see any scaring at all now but will have to wait till all the swelling goes down and see how the scared area looks,both sides of my neck have also turned brown and i'm feeling very content at this stage,so far so good,i look forward to seeing the results in the next couple of days.
Thanks for the update. I wish my skin could tolerate Triluma. My skin begins to get red and inflamed shortly after the second or third application. I'll speak with the doctor again to share my concerns. Thanks again.
OMG, I go to the same doctor but for fillers. He recently recommended Fraxel 1927 for my hyper-pigmentation. I trust him and have confidence in his skills. However, I am very concerned that I may be one of those individuals whose skin will re-act by creating more pigmentation. I'm also concern that scabs will form and I will scar. My skin is olive tone and tend to scar easily. Any thoughts and/or words of encouragement?
All I can say is that so far I haven't heard of further hyperpigmentation following this procedure. I have olive skin, too, but so far, so good. It's important to use Triluma every night following the procedure. This doctor is very experienced. The actual "burn" from the laser is really like a sunburn, and doesn't go deep. Maybe he can do a little test spot for you if you're nervous?
Hi, could I get the name of the dermatologist who you had this done by? I've had IPL and Pixel lasers done with no success (they actually temporarily made it worse) for very stubborn melasma that developed in my teens. I'm really interested in trying the Fraxel laser but I want to go to a good practitioner. I think part of the problem was that when I'm from, there isn't a lot of options in terms of dermatologists and I think the doctor was not incredibly experienced in what she was doing. Would really like to find a doctor who knows what they're doing. Could you post his name or send me a message with his info? Thanks so much!

Yes, the doctor is key. His name is {edited}, and he practices together with Dr. Marilyn Berzin. They are located in downtown DC. I wouldn't have done this if my coworker hadn't recommended him for the same problem, as he was able to treat her melasma, and it's VERY important that you go to someone that other people (that you know) have recommended.

Edited by Sharon: We've added your provider info to the review. Thanks!
Hi I live in Maryland, I am happy to hear of your results do you mind giving me the name of your doctor in DC that treated you for Melasma? Thank you
would you know what settings were used.
No, I don't know, but I am going in for a second treatment in early May, and I will find out.
Thanks,my Doc say's that a good starting setting with the 1927 is, 10-3-8pass and then even going up to 10-5-8pass if I had poor results after the first treatment. All the best and keep a diary.