Ankle and Calf Liposuction - My Experience - Washington, DC

Hi - I used these boards so much when I was...

Hi - I used these boards so much when I was planning I think I need to give back. I was born with cankles and large calves. My weight has fluctuated +/- 30 lbs and while my calves were a tad slimmer at lower weights, I always had cankles. I think I must hold some water weight as well because they are always puffy in the front.

13 months ago I got ankle and calf lipo from a reputable surgeon in my area. I think it is important to have realistic expectations. He definitely changed the shape of my legs - there is more definition instead of the straight up/down cankle look - but my ankles are still large. It is bone, not much you can do about that. That being said, I think it was worth it - to me. I've started wearing skirts and while I will never have fabulous legs, I am not deathly ashamed of them either. (it was a bit difficult when people at work were like "Wow I've never seen you in a dress". Ugh.

There is significant downtime, don't let anyone tell you any differently. Probably more than with lipo of other areas because of gravity. I was in bed for about a week. You definitely need someone to take care of you. Then it was 8 weeks before I could do any exercise - though I could walk fine. No heels for probably 3 months. The swelling gradually subsided over a period of 9 months - I would definitely recommend this as an early fall procedure. I still get a bit of swelling 13 months later if I wear high heels all day. And no more 4 inch heels for me - ever.

The pain was not bad at all, really more uncomfortable than painful. My doctor gave me hydrocodone. Definitely get some of the compression pants. I read tons of stuff about how long to wear compression pants. Some articles said it was bad for you some said leave them on as long as possible. I think it is best to do what your doctor recommends and just use your best judgement. I am pretty happy. I would say my cankles are more on the "canklette" side now. Not nearly as bad as they were.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi. I see that you original post was in March of 2012. What is your progress now? Any rippling or sagging? I am considering the procedure as well, but am concerned about the long term effects.
Hi- My progress is good. No rippling, sagging or anything. I've gained and lost about 15-20 lbs since I had the surgery (the weight gain wasn't because of the surgery) and it didn't affect my ankle/lower calf area at all. I have no regrets about having the surgery. I think the key is realistic expectations. For me, so much of it is really my bone structure which can't be solved with liposuction. But overall, they just look more shaped. Good luck to you!
Would you be willing to give the name of your surgeon? I am in the DC area as well.
Dr. Byron Poindexter at Austin Weston in Reston. I really liked him a lot. He and the rest of his staff made me feel very comfortable, not self-conscious at all. I highly recommend him.
Thanks so much for sharing!

Pay*
SRB my surgeon is american board certified but i live in middle eatern country lebanon , a small hint you will way lesss than in state and also get great results , its been almost a month iam walking now and feel okay and started working non stop 8 hrs daily ,
jbeanie & Amoon, thank you so much for sharing your experience. Would you share who was your surgeon? Would you recommend your surgeon? Thank you in advance!
Thanks J again much appreciated your reveiw! Do you mind sharing your weight, circumference of your calf and ankle by chance?
Hi, would you be willing to share the name of your surgeon? Thanks!
Hi J! Please help me - I'm getting my ankle/knee lipo next week. My doctor is a renowned NY practitioner and assures me that I will be mostly healed after 2 weeks and that even after the first week any swelling will be minimal/not exceed my original size. I am fit/slender so there isn't an excessive amount of fat to remove. Please let me know how your legs were doing 1 and 2 weeks post-op, timing is very important for me right now. Thank you! - E
Hi, I don't know that my experience will be helpful to you. I definitely think that I heal more slowly than the average person. 1-2 weeks post op I was definitely still swollen, probably for about six weeks. It wasn't too horrible looking, but it definitely worsened the longer I was on my feet. I personally was not ready to bare my ankles for about 2-3 months so if it were me and I had something important coming up where my legs would show in 1-2 weeks, I would not do it. Unless you are a quick healer, I wouldn't underestimate the time it takes to FEEL better, not just look better. I don't think the amount taken out is as significant as just the general trauma of surgery.
Thank you very much for your response. I postponed the operation until after my trip, so glad I did.
Hello iam 9 days post calves lipo , i cant walk normally only on my toes , all numb still , if i hit my leg by mistake i feel nothing ...i can only walk in heels ...i cant walk in flats itsnot painful as much uncomfortable ....i was shocked when i saw that jbeanie shouldn't walk in heels , my heels are kind of 8-14 cm i found my comfort in them , iam very fast healer but this is really slow to me , i remember going to gym post a week of breast lifting and upper body lipo iam not spoiled ...but this is no joke my dear if u have job or kids or responsibilities u need minmim 3 weeks to make sure ur gona be okay by then ...nway i will keep u updated by the end of the week ...gdluck
Oh i feel really silly that was in nov can u tell me please did u heal by 2 weeks ??

Hi there, thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. Sounds like your procedure was a success!