Just Started on Oratane, Nervous As Anything - Wagga Wagga, AU

Hey everyone, I'm a 15 year old male from...

Hey everyone, I'm a 15 year old male from Australia. I started getting acne about 5 months ago and by this stage it has turned really bad. I have those cysts on both my cheeks running up towards my ears. They got a little better after I was perscribed Minocycline, but that had minimal results so I saw my dermatologist and was perscribed Isotretinoin. She has me on 10 mgs once a day and I started last Friday, so I've been on them five days so far. After reading some of the reviews, I'm a bit worried that I am on too low a dosage. I have a school formal in exactly one month, but if my acne doesn't clear up MUCH I probably won't go. Does anyone have any helpful tips or advice? I'm militant about moisturising and using lip balm, I've been that way since I first started breaking out. Nothing else has worked particularly well, so I'm keen for this to have good results :)

Hey there :) Welcome, so glad you posted your story. First off, please don't miss your school formal because of your acne, go and have fun. What I would suggest is follow up with your doctor and confirm your dose. What I understand is it's very common for your acne to get worse before it gets better. My tip to you, cut out processed foods and sugar, drink a ton of water and lots of fresh foods. Diet can play a huge part in this problem. I suffered from cystic acne for years, just like you on the cheeks...they felt horrible so I understand how you want to hide, but don't, I never did, I had to go on my first date to a New Years Eve function with a huge one that decided to visit the night before...but I went. I have heard of men covering with a concealer or foundation, why don't you go see a department store makeup specialist and see what they suggest. Best of luck to you an keep us posted on your results. Oh, and can you take before and progress photos and share?