20/400, 37 Yr Old Tired of Contacts - Now 20/10 38 Yr Old - Virginia Beach, VA

Found First Colonial Eye Center in Virginia Beach,...

Found First Colonial Eye Center in Virginia Beach, VA (Dr. Rampona) by talking to friend who had undergone Supralase procedure. Thoroughly researched the surgery and all other options and determined Supralase to be minimally invasive compared to other techniques with high success rate. I was 20/20 after 2 weeks, and I am 20/10 a year later with no side effects. Dr. Rampona and his staff thoroughly explained everything and made me feel extremely comfortable before, during, and after procedure. Dr. Rampona inserts tear duct plugs during procedure based on patient's tear production; he typically does not remove them until 1 year after the procedure unless patient doesn't want them. I originally wanted them removed due to minor irritation during certain eye movements (looking as far left or right as I could felt like someone was poking my eye), but after 9 months I no longer notice that they are there.
Thanks for writing a review of your experience! What are the tear duct plugs for?
The tear duct plugs are for people that have dryer eyes than normal. Plugging up the tear ducts lets the tear film build up and stay longer. This helps with healing and also vision. One has to remember that when looking at the surface of the eye it is NOT smooth as glass. There are bumps, gouges, etc. With proper tear film it helps smooth the surface of the eye some and this helps with vision.
Thanks! My mom has quite dry eyes. I wonder if she's aware of these. I'll have to ask.
Virginia Beach Ophthalmologist

Dr. Rampona seems to live, eat, breath eye surgery. He thoroughly explained everything (including what it would feel like during and after procedure) and provided two cell #s for use post-op, in case of any issues. Awesome doctor!