Fat Freeze

I'm 32 years old, 5'4" and 120 lbs. I workout 3...

I'm 32 years old, 5'4" and 120 lbs. I workout 3 days a week (45 mins. of cardio and 25 mins. of weights) and I count calories (1100 - 1300 per day). I've always been a small person with a petite frame (I've even been underweight at times), but since my teenage years I've had a little bit of extra fat on my belly. As I've gotten older, the belly has gotten larger and hangs down over my pants when I sit. My love handles have accumulated fat, too, especially up high near my waist. I've never been pregnant, but it looks like I've had a kid or two. I'd like to get my body to the point where I feel comfortable wearing form-fitting tops again without having to amp up my exercise and diet routine. To be perfectly honest, restricting my caloric intake any more than I already do and working out every single day just isn't conducive to my lifestyle and happiness. Besides, when I was only 110 lbs, I still had the belly. So, after much deliberation and research, I decided to go for Coolsculpting by Zeltiq.

I had my lower abdomen done on Sept. 27 and am scheduled to have my love handles done on Oct. 8.

For my lower abdomen, the RN determined that the large applicator was too wide for me, so she used two medium applicators - one on the left side of my belly and the other on the right (not at the same time, but one after the other). That machine had no problem sucking up my fat, let me tell ya! The nurse said, "Wow! You are such a perfect candidate for this. You are filling up the whole cup!" haha, yep I got some pooch. Anyway, the procedure was painless. The only uncomfortable part was feeling like I couldn't breathe deeply or move much without tugging my skin. The gel pad thingy was pretty cold, too. I did feel the cold of the applicator for most of the procedure, but it didn't bother me at all. The only thing that was mildly painful was the massage the nurse gave my belly after the applicator was taken off both times. It felt kind of like menstrual cramps. OH, and I coughed once while the applicator was on the left side of my belly and that was quite painful, but it subsided.

I paid for my abdomen and love handles up front and it was only $1700 because the clinic was offering a discount for the month of September. Besides the big discount, I also feel like I got a good deal for the $$ by using two medium applicators on my belly instead of one large one because the second applicator overlapped places in the middle where the first applicator already hit, so I feel like I got treated twice in a sense, mostly around my belly button. It probably won't make a difference, but that's the rationale I'm telling myself to not feel too guilty for spending all that money ;o)

I've kept a written record of my recovery progress every day since the procedure. Basically, I've been numb, swollen, sore and a little itchy. It hasn't been very painful, just uncomfortable and annoying at times. I've even been able to keep up my workout routine without missing a beat. I've read a lot about people experiencing excruciating pain while recovering from Coolsculpting so I'll admit I was nervous. Thankfully, I wasn't one of the unlucky ones who got that severe nerve pain. The worst it got was on Days 6 and 7... I had sharp, shooting pains mostly around my belly button (no surprise there) and I used an ice pack to soothe it. The pain woke me up those two nights, but I was able to fall back asleep with the icepack. Today is Day 8 and I don't feel much pain at all.. Just mild nerve twinges here and there, and soreness when I push on it or bend over.

I'm looking forward to when the swelling goes down to at least where it was pre-procedure. I've been wearing baggy shirts to hide it, and all my pants are a little uncomfortable (I unbutton them when sitting down).

And I'm looking forward to having my love handles treated on Oct. 8. At that point I'll be "all done" and just waiting to see the results in a few months. The RN said that we'll be using the small applicator for the love handles.

I'm not going to post any before photos until I have some after photos to show, too. So, thanks for reading and I'll keep you all updated.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Well, I went in to have my love handles/flanks...

Well, I went in to have my love handles/flanks done today, but it didn't work out. There wasn't enough fat to get sucked up into the applicator far enough for it to be effective. I'm really glad the nurse was honest about it and didn't let me waste my money. Since I already paid to have my flanks treated, I'm going to wait a couple months and put that money towards having my belly treated again. But if I decide not to have another treatment the nurse said they would give me a refund, which was good to hear.

As for my belly, it's starting to feel more like normal again. The soreness and numbness is going away, and the swelling is going down. It's still a little uncomfortbale to sit down with my pants buttoned, but I imagine that won't be a problem in another week. I'll update again in a few weeks.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

It has been almost 4 weeks and I'm happy to say...

It has been almost 4 weeks and I'm happy to say that I'm seeing results! My lower belly is definitely flatter and when I grab it the roll is much smaller, kind of like I'm just pinching skin with a thin layer of fat. Also, my pants are fitting better and my more form-fitting shirts are fitting better. My belly looks more like it did when I was in my late teens! I really wasn't expecting to see results this soon, it's awesome!

But of course it isn't perfect... It unfortunately is not as even as I had hoped. The left side of my belly seems to have gone down more than the right side. Specifically, there is a sort of lump (roughly 1"x2") directly to the right of my belly button. It isn't really noticeable, but I can feel it when I run my fingers over it. It is more noticeable from the profile view. I'm really hoping that it will even out over the next month or two and not get worse. Maybe it's just some residual swelling...?

And there's one other thing I'm not really thrilled about... My upper abdomen wasn't really a problem before, but now that my lower abdomen is flatter, my upper looks bigger. And the separation between them looks more pronounced and curves in. I'm thinking I'll want to get my upper abdomen treated now with coolsculpting to even things out, but I'm afraid I won't have enough fat in that area to suck up far enough into the machine (like what happened with my flanks).

So, I'm just trying to be patient at this point and see what happens. Hopeully things will even out. At least I already have a smaller tummy!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Even though my belly is *ever so slightly* uneven...

Even though my belly is *ever so slightly* uneven when comparing the right side to the left, I have to say that this procedure has been TOTALLY worth it for me. Every time I see my stomach in the mirror I am amzed at what I'm looking at. It looks like I am holding my belly in, but I'm not! I was hoping for results like this, but I wasn't expecting to see it happen so soon.

Even though there is still some fat there, I don't think I'll be having my lower abdomen treated again because I'm afraid it'll look unnaturally too small and out of proportion to my hips if I do. Plus, it has only been a month so I'm thinking I may still see some more fat loss in the coming months. I am still considering having my upper abdomen treated, though, to smooth out the transition from my upper to lower a little better.

Question...I am in the same boat as you when you talked about your upper stomach now looking bigger. I had this done 5 weeks ago and there's a line (I am assuming) where the applicator stopped reaching. Has this difference gone down for you at all? I am supposed to get a second round with the large applicator at the beginning of January, but now I am wondering if I should get 2 small applicators, one on top of each other, to minimize the difference between the areas.

NOT WORTH IT

Due to uneveness in my lower abdomen after the first treatment, I had to have it treated again in January. The clinic gave me a huge discount for the second time. The first time I had my lower abdomen treated they used two small applicators on each side of my belly button, and the second time they just used one small applicator going all the way across since my fat had already shrank since the first treatment. I also had my upper abdomen treated once. Everything looked GREAT during the months of February-March, but the fat slowly started to accumulate again. Now it is all back just like I never had it treated. I might have gained some weight (maybe 5 lbs) so I'm hoping it's just that I need to lose some weight... We'll see. As of right now, I'd say this treatment isn't worth the $$$.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Stomach is flat, Sides are bigger than ever

Well, it has been about 11 months since my last coolsculpting treatment on my stomach and the fat is definitely not so much there as it used to be. I thought back in the spring that it was coming back but when I look in the mirror and in pictures it is obviously flatter and more tone than it was last year around this time. The unfortunate thing I notice now is that my sides (flanks) are much bigger than they ever were. I'm still at the same weight (120 lbs), but instead of the fat accumulating on my stomach it is clearly budging up on my flanks more than ever before. My muffin top in my stomach area isn't so bad.. but the sides are pretty noticeable. Makes my waist look kinda short and my shape isn't as youthful appearing. I'm finding that I need to wear spanks with form fitting tops more often than I did before I got the coolsculpting and it's only because of my sides now and not my stomach. I'd like to go back and see if I can get my flanks done with coolsculpting, but I tried that before when I got my stomach done and the nurse said the suction wasn't pulling up enough tissue into the cup for it to be worth it... Maybe now there is enough fat there for it to work...? I don't know. Still not sure if this was worth it.. Thinking maybe I've opened a can of worms. If I do end up freezing the fat off my flanks, where will it accumulate next? I am also starting to notice small bulges under my bra line in the back.