"Overstretched, Rippled Chicken Neck" by PRIOR Surgeon. New Surgeon = New Neck = New Me :-)) - Vero Beach, FL

I was motivated to find a new surgeon because of ...

I was motivated to find a new surgeon because of problems and poor results from "The Best" surgeon in Melbourne, Florida performing procedures on my eyes and neck. My eyes were pulled up too much so the lids, seven years later, still do not close. As a result, I could no longer wear contact lenses, severe dry eye issues ensued and eventually lens implants were the solution to give me partial relief from wearing glasses. I continue to live with daily dry eye which becomes especially uncomfortable, despite eye gels, during nightly sleep.

The other failure was his promise to smooth out the wrinkles on my long, thin neck. He did one incision under my chin and pulled the skin inappropriately tight over my already prominent Adam's Apple. The skin looked worse than prior to surgery as now it was ribbed straining over the Adam's Apple. If I stood in front of a mirror and held my head "just right" it could look less like a terrified chicken than usual!! I was offered a free chemical peel however knew that would not alter the problem and refused. Looking in the mirror my face did not match my neck. Each time I saw this wrinkled, ribbed neck, I felt a drop in my energy and enthusiasm. Finally I had enough of feeling annoyed and disappointed about the inept neck lift…my eyes could not be changed, but the neck I was hoping could be corrected!

Enter Dr Alan Durkin recommended by my dermatologist. I knew Dr Durkin was right for me at our first meeting. He listened, understood exactly what I wanted, showed me before and after photos for similar surgeries, and asked relevant questions. He asked for permission to share what he saw as my assets and how else I might consider minor enhancements ( fat injections, partial laser etc). I felt like we were collaborative in spirit and was pleased he offered me options in alignment with my overall mission. Before he would schedule a surgery date for me 4 months later, Dr. Durkin asked to see me again to be sure we were still both in agreement about what was most important as a result for me.

This careful concern gave me a comfort level I had never experienced with my prior two surgeons. His staff is exceptionally personable and gracious in addition to being thorough and consistent in following up on my questions,and requests. The overall experience was one of feeling embraced by various members of a happy family. I looked forward to my post op visits because of it. Dr Durkin is sincere, tuned in, VERY talented and skilled. I am thrilled with my results and thankful for him as a person and a doctor. I trust your experience will mirror mine should you choose him!

The second time was the charm! So sorry you had to go through the disappointing results from your first lift, but glad it was done right this time. Thank you for sharing your experience on RealSelf.
Glad things have worked out for you.
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Dr Alan Durkin is personable, attentive, direct and enthusiastic. He is willing to take the time needed to understand one's history and motivation for surgery, to explain procedures, and to answer questions. I found him to be an uplifting, humorous and delightful conversationalist-much appreciated pre and post surgery! It was fabulous to feel so safe, confidant and relaxed in his care:-)