Breast cancer treated with bilateral mastectomy with immediate placement of expanders. Implants in February.

I had bilateral nipple and skin-sparing mastectomy...

I had bilateral nipple and skin-sparing mastectomy (IDC of right breast and prophylactic mastectomy of left breast; strong family history, multiple biopsies and age at diagnosis- 40) in October 2013 with immediate placement of expanders. Right nipple did not completely make it. I am scheduled to have implants placed in February 2014. I can't wait because the expanders are not comfortable at all.

Dr. Allen Gabriel

Dr. Gabriel is awesome! He has the best bedside manner I have ever seen. He is very caring and has done a wonderful job so far. He has made this whole ordeal easier to handle.

Hi bcsurvivor! How did the implant surgery go? I hope you are doing well. I felt pretty good after mine except for the pesky drains. I hope you look just as great as you did with expanders. I took questions with me to see our PS and got answers. I feel much better about this and hopefully when he is done I will also look better.
Hi judypink! It went well. I get the drains out tomorrow thankfully! I am a little bruised, especially on the right. That poor right boob took the brunt of everything. I will post pics once I heal a little more. I am glad you talked with him and I am sure you are going to look great.
Hi bcsurvivor! Nice to hear all went well for you. It is always so nice to get rid of those drains! Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I had another episode of infection and have been on antibiotics. 3 more doses to finish. Both times I had infection 6 weeks after surgery. At least this time I didn't have to have surgery and hospital stay. I see PS in a month and then we will schedule switching out these 20-700s to 45-800s and fat injections. I'm hoping for breasts.
I also live in Vancouver WA and have Dr Gabriel. He is great. My almost 400cc expanders looked flat and 700cc high profile implants look flat. My surgery was 12/31/13. He said I have a concave chest!! I don't know how this can be resolved.
If I were you, I would talk with Dr. Gabriel about it. Here's to kicking cancer in the rear!
I see him again on Feb.7 to see how it is progressing. He has talked about doing fat injections on some spots that are needing to be filled out and he said that at that time he thinks that it might be a good idea to put in 800s. Looking at the chart, 20-800s are a .1cm less projection and a little wider. 45-800s are .5 cm (2/10 inch) higher projection. I am going to go over all this with him and if he thinks an additional 3.4 oz will make me look like I have some breasts then I will do it . So grateful to be cancer free! Dr. Storm- Dickerson and Dr. Gabriel did a great job. I also had nipple and skin sparing surgeries. DCIS, no chemo or radiation
I had Dr. Disher and Dr. Gabriel. They both were awesome! I had a large area of DCIS with a small area of invasive ductal carcinoma. He also talked with me about fat injections. And I was thinking... Did he really say he is going to take some belly fat and put it in my boobs? Now, that is what I am talking about! LOL. One perk. Lymph nodes were negative for me, so I did not need chemo or radiation, either. Thankfully! I know he wants us to be happy with the results so I am sure he is going to work with you until you are happy with them! Funny, I go in February 7, too, for my pre-op appointment. That is awesome that you did not need chemo or radiation, too. We were both very lucky!
Hi bcsurvivor! It is so cool that there are 3 of us on this site who see Dr. Gabriel. I called Breastfriends a couple days ago. They have a breakfast/lunch once a month at the Quay. I am looking forward to meeting some other women and hearing about their journeys back to wellness. How long ago did you have your implants surgery? I don't think he will be doing my fat injection surgery until March. Hoping it makes a difference. You are so right, not having to have chemo and radiation, we were both lucky!
I have an upcoming mastectomy on Feb 5. I too, will get tissue expanders, but I am having a skin sparing mastectomy. What are your expanders filled to? they look great btw
Hello. I wish you the best for your upcoming mastectomy! They are filled to almost 400 cc. Thank you!
you are very welcome. I hope I have great results too
I am sure you will. :)
Hi Mindy I just want to wish you the best on your surgeries. I was reading on the Pink Lemonade site that they have help available with housekeeping. I know I could have used this if I had known it was out there. If Pink Lemonade isn't in your area, they might know who is and direct you.
Oh wow!! HELP WITH HOUSEKEEPING??!!! that is so great I am going to check into this....I have been soooo worried about my husband doing this stuff.....hes great but hes not a wife!lol
Oh and thanks so much for the best wishes...I am so nervous...my big day is feb 5...next wed
You will do just fine! It will take some time to recuperate and you will need help. Kick back, get comfortable and don't do the stuff they tell you not to do.
Hope your surgery went well and you are recuperating. Remember the drains will come out soon and you will feel better with each passing day. You can do it!!!
I hope you are comfortable in your recovery and that everything went well. Getting past the first surgery takes a little time. Be patient and it will happen.