Uncomfortable Experience, Painful, But Very Happy With Current Appearance - Vancouver, BC

I had my Ultherapy this afternoon with Dr. Charles...

I had my Ultherapy this afternoon with Dr. Charles Cheng and his assistant. Things were a little upside down as they have recently moved into new improved premises. I was asked if I wanted vicodin and said yes, after reading about the experiences here.

The treatment is extremely uncomfortable, a bit like needles going into the face, very quickly, one after the other. Each becomes more painful but the worst is the last and then that particular touch is over and another follows. I found it bearable with only a few really painful moments on my neck. Dr. Cheng came in and chatted a couple of times during the more painful moments. His assistant is amazing and very capable and experienced.

I learned that burns can indeed happen during treatment - if something is actually amiss with the transducer - or if it is not held close enough to the skin, so that the heat is created closer to the surface of the skin.

When I saw myself in the mirror afterwards, I literally did look "ten years younger" with my face looking firm and full but this of course is swelling. Dr. Cheng said that if I felt a firmness three days on, it would be a good sign for future improvement. I was a little pink, especially on my neck, but nothing too strange.

So now, I have to wait and see before I post that this treatment was successful or not. I am very, very happy with how I currently appear. All in all, a very positive experience.

I forgot to mention that I had the treatment on my...

I forgot to mention that I had the treatment on my lower jaw and neck, to prevent sagging. I had noticed a softness there lately. I am 60. I rated this as "worth it" but will chage if that is possible, if things do not continue to look good, or regress.

Day 2 and I look the same as yesterday. My face is...

Day 2 and I look the same as yesterday. My face is not sensitive or numb. I really can't feel that I have had anything done. I am also taking a collagen-supporting supplement (Neocell Fish Collagen) and making sure I get enough protein - which is a huge problem for me being vegetarian and highly reactive to anything soy-related. I feel these two things will encourge collagen development.
Hi Megan, Yes, I was squirming a bit when they did my neck! It was bearable though. I am a medical and consumer health journalist/writer, so I tend to look things up for myself and figure out what's really going on inside. I am quite sure that most physicians would say that orally-obtained collagen gets digested in the stomach and never reaches its destination (the cellular matrix) and indeed they would be correct—at least as far as bovine and porcine collagen is concerned. However, there is some evidence that fish collagen can reach the cellular matrix. I have the study somewhere in my own head, so will have to look it up. I figured that any internal support that can be provided is a good idea, while the collagen regenerates via Ulthera. This may be oversimplifying the process, but there's nothing to lose.

Thanks for sharing with us what you learned about the possibility of burns with Ulthera. I'm glad you were able to withstand the discomfort and complete the treatment. Did you decide on your own to collagen supplement, or was that a recommendation by your doctor?

One week on and I look the same so far but after...

One week on and I look the same so far but after four days, my neck and jawbone are very sore. It seems rather strange that I felt nothing afterwards. Will update with pics in a couple of months.
Agreed. It's very hard to really see change over time. Even before and after photos can be deceiving, slightly different light or angle of the head tilt.

It's a pity we need to wait sooo long, but I guess that's the price of something non invasive and with a super fast recovery rate.
P13ski - it is possible that it was water loss, although I doubt it. I noticed on my Tanita scale that I was also very dehydrated. This morning, I can't say I noticed anything much, but the mind plays tricks. When you think you WILL be seeing something, you expect it. I guess I really have to wait three months or more to give a more accurate "verdict."
That's interesting about the soreness, and that you're getting results so soon. 3 months is such a long time to wait!

Almost a month and no change at all.

Almost a month and no change at all.

I'm so glad you are continuing to update us. Of course I wish you were seeing some good changes, but I so appreciate you letting us know the reality of the situation.

Six weeks almost and no change at all.

Six weeks almost and no change at all.
Nine weeks and not even the tiniest change.
I know. However, an injectable filler is way too "fake" for me. I have had them in the past, in my NLs and somehow the face does not move naturally afterwards. It looks stiff. I can spot filler very quickly in others' faces. The whole marketing of Ulthera is beginning to irk me. It is way overpriced and then only lasts a year to 18 months if you are fortunate enough to see any difference.
I am rather, Megan. I realize I didn't have much to change, but, according to Ulthera, it's the people with little in the way of sagging who benefit the most. It all seems a little smoke and mirror-sy! I'm hoping that my collagen has been regenerated somewhat and so I can write this off as a "preventive" experience.

I saw the doctor yesterday and he told me that in...

I saw the doctor yesterday and he told me that in his opinion, I would be unlikely to see any change if I hadn't already seen any. He said that the very rare person may see a difference even after six months but stressed that this is unlikely to be the case for me. What a waste of money. I still believe that this doctor is among the best but the procedure is not worth the price.

I'm glad to hear your doctor was honest with you that he didn't expect to see a change at this point. That is a HUGE bummer. I can only imagine how disappointed you must feel. :(

Amazing that you and I had almost the exact same observation -- I had NOT read your comment! A little part of me hopes to wake up at the 3 month point, look in the mirror, and have my 45 year old jawline back -- and I'm an intelligent woman! I scoff at advertising claims for hope-in-a-jar, but I fell for this. There's almost no way I would now tell anyone that I've done this, it's too embarrassingly stupid.

Update: well over three months now and I see no...

Update: well over three months now and I see no change.. Perhaps collagen has been generated "behind the scenes," perhaps not. There wasn't much to complain about to begin with but I expected a little tightening, not none at all. I have started using a red light (on my face...although I should probably put one outside my window as well to pay for the procedure). Also taking fish collagen capsules, both of which should aid the regeneration of collagen. We'll see...
Charles Cheng, MD

Outstanding service at all times. The technicians and other staff are all fabulous and Dr. Cheng always has the time to talk and educate. His bedside manner is wonderful.