skin destruction - Vancouver, BC

If i could stop anyone from getting this treatment...

If i could stop anyone from getting this treatment I would. I am interviewing lawyers and putting posts out to bring a class action suit against the makers of the machines & my doctor. It is clear that the machines destroys the healthy cells in the skin, maybe at first it seems to work, but long term.:(

I was told it was the MADONNA lift, where you have almost no down time and takes 10 years off your face. I had 10 added to my face and the skin has no elasticity left. if I smile, my wrinkles have almost 3 trippled. with in 1 year of the treatment, it was clear that my skin was ruined. now 3 more years later.. AWFUL

BEFORE AND AFTER 2010-11

Before and after fraxel

Dr. Morel

Dr is sweet and thoughtful, however he is very sales oriented, at the end of the day i think that these lasers are harmful and the product went to market with out enough research. Doctors used it on clients without enough history to know what the long term efforts might be. I am very upset and frustrated that there is no liability being taken or moreso responsiblity.

As always, there is always yayy's and nays when it comes to laser. Now, i am not sure of the legalities in Canada for laser as i am in the U.S. So, as for Fraxel, i know many that has had this procedure done by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon(very crucial) that has dealt with cystic acne and had had nuthing but great results. now, take in mind that the ones i know have only dealt with one particular dermatologist Dr. Jeanine B. Downie, M.D in Montclair.NJ. There is alot to take into consideration before having this procedure done of course as in high exposure to sun,tanning, and smoking. Any good Dermatologist will tell you that these will prevent you from achieving the expectations your looking for. As for getting Fraxel laser done, here is a couple things to keep in mind. Does the doctor actually use the Fraxel machine, along with the Fraxel cooling fans? trust me, there IS a difference.Any highly reputile doctor will have no issue in verifying this to you. Sadly there are many out there that offers Fraxel laser but dont use the Fraxel machine. Secondly, Any doctor that is willing to up the power of the laser for any laser procedure, if u ask for it or not, your best bet is to walk away. Fraxel is a powerful laser that needs to be calibrated to not only your skin type, but to your skin color also.If not, it can become a nightmare. Always get a consultation 1st and do your homework. I do however agree with some here with more research should be done before a doctor is allowed to use it. Laser works when in the right hands. Sadly, when in the wrong hands it dont. Hopefully this will help out a few. Just remember, its your body to do as you see fit. Homework, references, referrals and ask questions will make it worth your time
Most jurisdictions have statutes of limitations - some are only 3 years, and a lot of docs will tell you it takes about 18 mos or so to see whether IPL/laser complications will go away on their own, so that's a lot of time right there down the drain. What is the time limit in Canada? I agree w/ you that we are all guinea pigs in a giant experiment, because most of these machines are rubberstamped by the US FDA on the basis of the manufacturer's claim that the new machine is substantially similar to an older machine that the FDA already approved. The FDA doesn't even check! They rely on the mfgr's say-so! And the medical device approval laws have been changed for the worse as far as consumer protection and safety goes. Basically they unleash a device on the public, and wait and see what happens, relying on a hit-or-miss reporting system. If enough people get damaged, maimed or killed, THEN they might do something. Just look at the J&J joint replacement fiasco - it took expensive lawsuits to unearth the fact that the company knew there were problems but they kept selling the devices. Same w/ the transvaginal mesh thing. I know something went very wrong w/ my IPL, and no one seems to understand how to treat the complications, or even how it happened. Or if they know, they are not being open and transparent about it.
I am sorry that you all have had such bad experiences. I am wondering if fraxel lasering works better in areas of the body with more fatty tissue? I had a series of fraxel laser treatments to reduce stretch marks on my tummy (as well as a tiny surgical scar) and experienced a pretty good outcome (70% at least improvement). I was so impressed until I had even inquired about facial lasering. I will definitely but that on hold!! Has anyone tried IPL treatments?
Laser is a burn. Period. Be careful out there. Probably good in the right hands.
this is shocking, considering celebs are praising this treatment!
Omg, DON'T DO IT, I had it done, ruined my top layer skin still fighting dark pigmentation it left, went back to the doctor and wanted a refund he just said wait another 4 months, are you serious? I walked out, do not do it waste of money and time
I am sorry to hear this, I have done it about 3 times in the past 2 yrs. My skin looks great for about 6 months then it looks like it always did. After reading your story I may not return for another.
I had it done last year and I think it got rid of two age spots that had been bothering me for some time and resistant to hydroquinone
I hit 'post comment' accidentally. However, I did think that after some months my skin actually looked worse, like more fine lines and more droopy. In fact, I went to two other practitioners to ask what I should do about age spots (more were showing up) and I had heard about pulse laser and didn't understand the difference. Both of them said that "fraxel should not make you worse, it is supposed to stimulate collagen" but we don't do it anymore (implying it is bad), we do pulse laser. I find the whole thing odd and like you can't get a straight answer. I had begun to think the "worsening" I felt I noticed may have been coincident with my normal aging at 44 but after reading the comments here, I am wondering if it is the fraxel!!!!
Exactly... They all chat bullshit and try suggest pointing another laser beam at you... For a small fee of course.
Im 44 and had fraxel a year ago, my skin is awful now. Wrinkles where there were none before, loss of volume around mouth and cheeks. Ive been to so many docs, all claim not from fraxel. Has anyone found anything to help?
can you be more specific about why you had it and how many treatments you had, the recovery and what the results were over time?
Yes it amazes me that they are just allowed to get away with this. I mean when I wanted a scar revising I went to a dr and could have given him quite a bit of money to revise it, but he said no because I'd probably be left with a bigger scar. And he said he could take my money, but he wouldn't do that. I don't know what it is about fraxel that is different and means they don't tell you the possible risks, and don't seem to care when it goes wrong. With nearly everything there are risks of making it worse, but you need to be told beforehand so you can make an informed decision about whether the risks are worth it or not. With fraxel they market it like it's the way to go because there are no risks and no downtime which is simply not true!
Wow! Same here. I went to a few ps who refused to revise a scar because it would make it worse but the laser docs don't see the potential for damage even when you walk out of their office fried to a crisp!
I spoke with a dermo who said not all skin types are meant for laser, which makes sense. As an Irish person with a fair complextion the laser caused larger pores and more wrinkles. I went to ps for help with pores he suggested Fraxel. I trusted his word, never expecting all this damage! I have started using Emu oil and I want to believe its helping with all the lines. Hoping that with time it will help improve the overall texture as well.
When I read stories like this it makes me furious. How could these "docs" not know that these lasers cause damage ? If they know then they definitely have no conscience.
Exactly. At the time I was annoyed that this doc and others (I went to a few) wouldn't touch my scar, I felt like he didn't care that I had a scar on my face that bothered me, and I felt helpless that I couldn't do anything about it. But now I realize he was acting in my best interest. Thing is when you have something like a scar that really bothers you, you will do almost anything to try and improve it, sometimes ignoring the risks. So that's why you need a caring doc to give you the facts and flat out refuse to treat you if it's not in your best interest. The fraxel practitioners don't do that, they prey on the vulnerability of people who will do anything to improve something they are unhappy with, even if it's clearly the wrong treatment for them.
You speak the truth. I should have listened to my original doctor who said to leave it alone. Yet still to this day I hope I can find something to not only improve the scar I had but the damage done by the laser. I know to be much more cautious now however and will insist on a test patch of any treatment I use.
Yeah, it's very hard to be told to just leave it alone, that it may improve over time (we're talking 6 months-2 years which is a long time to wait, and it still will only probably be improved a little). So I still would try anything again as well to improve the scars I have, never laser again, but I would always be willing to get them surgically revised in the faint hope they might be improved! But it's a lesson learned to be very wary of any treatment-cosmetic or medical backfiring.
I'm so sorry pants. I didn't have Fraxel but I had a VBeam laser treatment for broken capillaries on my face. I have damage from that now too. I think it's lasers in general. They don't know what the long term side effects of these laser procedure are and they take no responsibility when things go wrong. Your on your own. I filed a complaint with the FDA here in the States. I blame the FDA too though. Check out the web site. Maybe it can be of some help. Dr John tells it like it is......lasers CAN do damage. Here's the web site: **removed website***
OMG