Treat Dermatitis first, then V beam reduces rosacea flares

Rosacea is only apparent on my left cheek and a...

Rosacea is only apparent on my left cheek and a tiny bit on my nose. Both appear to be caused by sun damage because I've had bad sunburns in those locations because I didn't reapply sunscreen enough.

I also slept on my left side for 7 years.  Once the rosacea started flaring up in 2010 due to stress, hot coffee and red wine, sleeping on that side made it worse.  So I now sleep on the other side and only drink iced coffee.

I've tried taking doxycycline (20mg twice a daily) and Metrogel and Finacea, and it controlled the acne portion of rosacea but the redness was always there and flares still happened too easily.  I'm hoping that V Beam will reduce the redness and the flares.

The treatment itself was a lot like lower power version of hair removal.  (Dr. R used 7.5 joules versus the 25+ joules for past Laser Hair Removal sessions.)  It's less painful than hair removal, and the strangest part is seeing green flashes with my eyes closed and the metal goggles on.

A few hours after treatment, I look like I got in a fist fight.  I'll post an updated photo with the same camera as the before in a few days.

My whole cheek was swollen and bruised for 5 days....

My whole cheek was swollen and bruised for 5 days. After 1 week, the bruising is completely gone and my cheek no longer seems to flare. I feel normal again for the first time in a year. I still plan on going in for another treatment in a month to treat the remaining redness.

If you have persistent dandruff, one factor in...

If you have persistent dandruff, one factor in your rosacea is probably Seborrheic Dermatitis.  After the redness got worse after a rainy 4 day hike in Hawaii (perfect conditions for a fungus), I was researching dandruff treatments and learned people with Rosacea often also have Seborrheic Dermatitis, which is caused my a fungus.  I bought some Nizoral shampoo and some Lotramin Ultra cream, and those two have cleared up the persistent redness that remained even after 5 V Beam treatments.  So please, make certain you have your Dermatologist check for any signs of Seborrheic Dermatitis before you start V Beam.  V beam did fix the rosacea flare ups but not the persistent redness, since that was a rash.  I probably could have only had 3 V beam treatments if I had been treating the Seborrheic Dermatitis from the beginning.

Products I recommend for Seborrheic Dermatitis:

Nizoral 1% Ketoconazole shampoo (use daily for 2 weeks, then once per week)

Neutrogenia T/Sal - 3% Salicylic acid shampoo (alternate with Nizoral)

Lotramin Ultra - use on worst areas of redness

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Dr. R is an expert Dermatologist with just the right amount of humor to make having your face lasered a less stressful experience.