Vaser HD on Abs & Chest, 23 Y.o. Male - Poland

Vaser HD booked through Top-Medics Poland. Natasza...

Vaser HD booked through Top-Medics Poland. Natasza has been very kind and thorough in her communication.

I am a 23 year old male. I am physically active and go to the gym but never seemed to be able to achieve ab definition even when dieting down. Instead I've now opted to stay active and will diet down a little again following the surgery (I've allowed myself to gain some weight since planning for this surgery).

My goal is a defined "six pack" look and more "chiseled" chest muscles. I want my body to be slim but defined so I am not at all going for a bulky look. Current weight is around 83 kg.

Will update with pre and post photos.

Arrived in Poland

Arrived in Krakow without problems. My driver Peter met me at the airport with a sign with my name on it. He doesn't speak a lot of English but he's very nice. He took me straight away for blood tests and then to my hotel. There had been a communications error on part of the hotel which was not available, so Natasza got me another, better, hotel - for no extra charge. I've been in contact with Natasza over the phone and she's been very helpful and nice. I'm now in my new hotel room waiting for my surgery.

About the hotels: The first hotel I went to was Bazantowo Sports Hotel, which is the one recommended by Top-Medics. It was new, clean, modern and with complementary swimming pool, gym etc. They were very friendly there and I can recommend the hotel. The second one I went to was the Best Western Premiere Katowice, which is 4 stars. It too is clean and modern, the staff have been nice so far. For the money I'd go with the Bazantowo Sports Hotel though.

I very much recommend getting the transportation package through Top-Medics, having your driver take you everywhere is a blessing if you don't speak Polish.

I'll update with a before photo the day before surgery!

Day before surgery

Tomorrow's the big day! I'll be picked up at 7:30am for consultation and surgery. I've been instructed not to eat or drink anything after waking up, and to shower and shave operated and private areas.

Attaching before photos.

Arrival and surgery

Had my surgery yesterday. The driver picked me up at 7:40. 20 min drive. Hungry and thirsty.

Clinic feels clean and modern. Signed surgery documents and paid. Waited about 10 minutes, then Dr Mekle came out into the waiting room and greeted me. He asked me to wait another 15 minutes before a nurse welcomed me into his office.

Her name was Lisa and she was very friendly. She asked me to undress and put on my surgery outfit - essentially a pair of transparant knickers and a robe. From now on everyone in the staff see everything - they are of course very professional and don't mention anything but just be prepared.

Then dr Mekle informed me about the surgery, took photos and marked me up with a marker. Dr Mekle is very nice and calm and left me feeling in good hands.

Then the anasthesiologist talked to me for some questions and put that "port"/needle thing in my arm for later use. She was very nice.

Then I went into the surgery room. There were about 3 nurses + the anasthesiologist. They weighed me and desinfected the areas to have surgery, then I got to lay down on the operating table and went to sleep...

Day 1 & 2 post

Woke up feeling very tired, not sure when. Perhaps around 13:00/1 pm. Went back to sleep a couple of times. Not in a lot of pain, just very tired.

Once I started becoming more alert, the state I was in wasn't great but that was expected. I was covered in bandages and foam and a compression garment. Any movement that involves your abdominal muscles felt like a really bad idea. Bring books, magazined, ipad, laptop! Get ready for some boring immobile hours.

The nurses were very nice although they spoke almost no English. They changed bandages maybe three times - I was left with 3 plastic tubes for drainage, one of which kept bleeding quite a lot which I was told was normal. I was also in an adult diaper... If you need to pee there's a plastic container by your side for that. Basically, the time following this surgery is not very pleasant nor comfortable.

Dr Mekle came in around 16:30. He said he was very pleased with the results. I was given 30 minutes light treatment by a nurse with a big machine. It was supposed to speed up healing.

Throughout the day and evening I was given fruit, yoghurt, sandwiches and water.

I tried to go to sleep but ended up not really sleeping at all. There were just too many uncomfortable factors. At 5 in the morning I was "woken up" for another 30 min light treatment and then breakfast.

The light treatment feels pleasantly warm. The changing of bandages however was very unpleasant - I wasn't in a lot of pain in a "sharp pain" way but I felt like I'd been hit by a truck and it felt very bad to have anyone touch the operated areas at all.

After a couple of hours Dr Mekle came in and gave me some post surgery tips. I was then taken back to the hotel. The rest of the day was a bit of a challenge, just getting up from my bed hurt and one of my drainage tubes keeps leaking through the bandages. I was given a bag of medical supplies and changed my bandages 2 more times this day. Still bled through. Not in a lot of pain while still but feeling quite handicapped and overall bad. :( Big tip: don't come alone for this as I have! Having some company and help with getting up etc would've been really nice.

Haven't taken any photos yet as I haven't actually taken my compression garment/bandages off other than to change them. The compression garment is quite awful by the way and makes you feel trapped and uncomfortable. But the worst part is the drain which keeps leaking fluid. Getting the drains removed tomorrow which is gonna be great!

Day 3

Slept a little better tonight. The drain that kept bleeding still bothering me. Feeling more energetic though, but still sort of miserable.

The driver picked me up at 13:30 and drove me to the clinic. I received another light treatment, then the nurses removed my drain tubes. Finally! I have some stitches left on the other incisions which I will get removed in 7-10 days with a regular doctor back home. After this I received an ultra-sound massage from a nurse, which was mildly uncomfortable but certainly bearable. Dr Mekle came and said goodbye and I was taken back to the hotel.

Really hoping the holes where the drains were will close soon, the bad one is still leaking fluid but hopefully not for long. Here is a photo I took just after the nurses removed the drains. I hope there will be more definition showing as time goes by, right now it is all pretty flat.

Day 4

Not sleeping very well since I feel I have to stay very still on my back or the drain holes will leak throughout the night etc. The compression garment feels too small - it's causing rashes in my armpits etc. The drain holes keep leaking fluid today, hoping they will close soon as this feels quite limiting/unclean. However I've read that it is better that they keep leaking since otherwise the fluid may get trapped underneath the skin as a seroma.

Flying home tomorrow morning which is gonna be great!

Attaching a photo from yesterday which shows more promising results than the previous one. :)

Day 5

Travelling all day was quite tiresome. Drainage holes still leaking, probably more because of all the movement, but less and less. Bruising going down, however I really noticed swelling going up from walking/sitting all day instead of being in bed most of the time. I've also noticed the bruising travelling down and settling in my genital area which is now almost completely black, I had thankfulky read about this in a review here so I was prepared.

The compression garment is too small to cover the lower part of my belly and also is causing a nasty rash in my armpit so not sure if I will use it as many hours of the day as I might wish. Had I known it was too small before I would've contacted the clinic, however I thought it was supposed to be like this.

Overall feeling better, much less pain, more energy and happy to be home! Going to book my first lymphatic massage and doctor's appointment to remove the stitches on Monday.

Day 17

It's been over 2 weeks since the surgery and I'm healing well. I did have some issues when I went to get the sutures taken out. I had to see 2 doctors and 4 or 5 nurses before one finally got the sutures out. None of them, including the last one, had ever seen this type of suture. I asked Natasza at Top Medics for advice but she said Dr Mekle had never had any complaints and that the sutures were completely standard. I can't see how all of the professionals that I met could be incompetent so that for me was weird. I'm fine now, but it was definitely a stressful thing not knowing if there was something wrong etc. Also, having had several people literally digging around in the incision sites with tools obviously I'm hoping I won't have any extra scarring.

Otherwise I believe I've been lucky as I've had very little swelling, no apparent edema and little bruising too. I'm sleeping with the compression garment and today I tried some light exercise which felt good. I have no pain anymore, only some slight numbness in some areas. My main point of discomfort is now skin tightness, it feels like the skin has been growing back in a sort of "hunched" body position, so when I try to stand straight/keep a good posture, the skin really stretches to a very uncomfortable point. I'm sure this will get better soon though.

Will update with progress photo soon!

Day 28 - 4 Weeks post

Skin tightness getting better. Incision sites still not fully closed, beginning to see what the scars might look like.

As for the results, I'm not seeing as much definition in the abdomen as I would like. The photos look better than what it looks like in reality. I'm hoping it's swelling that will eventually go away though.
Dr Henryk Mekle, via Top-Medics Poland

Dr Mekle is very nice and calm, makes you feel you're in good hands. The staff were all wonderful and I never had to wait long for anything. Top-Medics (Natasza) is very communicative and helpful, arranging things and clearing up mistakes/changes for you. However, I will say this: it is not just about what you ask as a patient. There are things I've thought about afterwards that I think would've given a 5 star rating. For instance, Dr Mekle never asked me what kind of look I wanted or told me if he could do the procedure in different "styles". So far the results I'm seeing are good, but I can't help but wondering - could they have been better if I had asked the right questions? Also, while my aftercare instructions were good, I was sent home after the followup with three open drain holes. I was not told how long they would take to heal and the staff just put little band-aids on top which clearly were not enough because the holes were leaking a lot of blood-mixed fluid all the time. I've read online that leaving these holes open is common and that they should dry out soon, but I wish I had been better informed of this so I didn't have to worry about the clinic having made a mistake. Overall I am mostly happy with my experience. I can't review my results yet so an update will come.

Hi there. I had the same reaction when I had mine out. They thought it was very tight etc etc but do not be alarmed. Everything will be fine and it will all work out. Mine scares are healing fine and I had the same problem them been removed. Please do not be alarmed you will all be good if you follow Dr Mekle advice.
Thanks for that! :)
Hi, your pictures look great dont be alarmed ( i know its easy to say) it will all work out. I am 8 weeks post op and still have a little swelling some days mainly the sides but overall i think he has done a fab job on me. Keep yea chin up and the weeks will fly by. Good Luck Graham
Thanks, yeah I feel like mental anxiety/worrying is a big part of this procedure. So your advice does help. :)
Nice updates mate, glad to hear you're in less pain and feeling better, the last photo certainly looks promising! Mark
Hi mate How are you feeling? You sound pretty down, is that because you're not happy with the results so far or fed up being alone and in pain, I guess neither can be great! Thanks for the review, and i hope everything comes good for your, look very lean before the surgery IMO though! I'll keep reading this as and when I can and hope you're happy with he end results
Hey, I think I'm mostly tired and yeah, hoping for a good end result. I think it's too early to say anything yet. But yeah, hard to keep your spirits up at all times without company. Your comment cheered me up though, thanks! :)
Yes I agree completely, too eary to see results yet, but i'm sure it'll all come good, im not just saying that, the other results from the same surgeon is why I chose to book through him too. Yeah I can imagine being alone in a foreign country isnt nice, Im lucky that I have someone travelling with me in that sense, hopefully you only have a day or 2 left there now? No worries mate, Im glad to have helped cheer you up! I'l be in the same situation a month from now! Take Care Mark
Yes, I'm leaving saturday morning. Will be following your progress for sure! Thanks again.
thanks. I was seriously considering going to Poland but after checking the official vaser lipo website I see that Dr Mekle is not certified for Vaser HD. He is only certified for Vaser lipo. I called the company maintaining the database of certified surgeons and they will look into this case.
I also wonder why his website is a co.uk website when he practices completely in Poland?!?
I did not know that. I had seen reviews from other people here on Realself.com which I deemed enough but please let me know what you find out!
Hi Kuteguy Can I ask what website you mean? I went onto the vaser website and it mentions every down as Vaser Lipo, even ones in the UK that do Hi Def. Dr Ravi Jain trained Dr Mekle in Hi Def, I can find a link if need be, he actually as 2 websites, one is a .pl website, and one is a .co.uk website, makes business sense i imagine
are you looking at the vaser . com website? If you go to the website and click on find a doctor and search for doctors in UK, Dr Ravi is on page2 and is marked down for Hidef as well as lipo. Similar with Colombia - Dr Hoyas, and many in USA, Australia, etc. Dr Mekle does not have hidef next to his name on the official vaser webpage
Hi I have heard amazing stories about top medics in Poland Has anyone else been there?
"Graham86" just went through with the same procedure with the same doctor, check out his review!
Thank you so much ! I think this site is amazing!! X
Hi mate Keep us updated please, as I am going through the same surgeon in May! Im also not as lean as I was but I plan to diet a little too before and after. Ive seen 3 reviews here alone regarding the same clinic, and by looks of it, you'll be in safe hands! Mark
Hey! I'll keep updating for sure, looking forward to seeing your results (and mine!). :)
Thanks for starting a review on RealSelf.  Do you live in Poland or are you traveling there for this procedure?
I will be travelling for the procedure!
Gotcha, keep us posted on everything!  We love to know all the details :)