Narrowing of the Bulbous Width They Call a Nose Houston, tx

I became acquainted with plastic surgery through a...

I became acquainted with plastic surgery through a much needed breast reduction in 2007 (insurance paid). At the time, the doctor was also seeing a girl for a rhinoplasty-it got me thinking. I can change this nose I hate! Fast forward 7 years and now that I have a job and income, I entertained the idea. Back I went to Houston, as I believe the doctor selection is better than Saint Louis, and visited a recommended young facial PS, Dr. Etai Funk.

He has beautiful work, that does not scream "rhinoplasty", and spent a full hour with me discussing the procedure. He seemed well booked for a good 8-12 weeks. Two weeks after my consult, I booked the surgery. Honestly, what makes me most nervous, is possible nausea and vomiting. I have not thrown up in at least 15 years and am TERRIFIED. The procedure itself, well I'm not that nervous about it!

My nose is very wide and bulbous. He also told me I have thick skin, but I am in no way "ethnic" so that baffles me! I'm a red head, Welsh kid with parents and sisters with cute little noses and thin skin. Apparently, having a palate expander as a child, widened not only my palate, but also my entire nasal cavity. We looked through photos and sure enough! My nose became much wider.

Not much bothers me about my nose except the size of the tip and width of the bridge. No hump, the length is fine, nostrils fine, septum is fine, I breath fine. The width really overwhelms my face. I'm slightly concerned about the thick skin and swelling that comes with it, so salt will remain out of my diet for the foreseeable future. I also have Factor V Leiden blood clotting disorder, and although the hematologist says it's not a concern, I know someone who threw a clot after a rhinoplasty.

Good luck today!!!
Gee recovery sucks.
I can't wait to see how great you look when you're done. You have a beautiful face, even with the bulbous nosr issue (I feel your pain!)

I hate recovering

No nausea or vomiting!!! Yayyyy. The bleeding just keeps going though.

Excitiiing ! Good luck !
Yay for no vomiting! You can thank your Anesthetist for that ;)
You look great so far! How you feeling love?

day 2

Day 1 was kinda rough as I didn't want to take the painkillers because I'm so worried of getting sick. I was also trying really hard to spit out blood. It was a not so great day. I finally gave into the vicodin and slept all night. I've also been popping Zofran to prevent nausea and I've had zero! Yesterday I began the arnica and Bromelain. They worked so well on my breast reduction, I'm hoping for the same!

Day 2 I've been rinsing the nose with saline spray and cleaning it. No real swelling so far, just continual blood which gets annoying.

Hoping for the bleeding to stop soon!

I made it very clear to prevent it at all costs! Worth it.

day 2-4

I had a lot of pain, no lie. Especially at the incision area, ouch! The first three days were not easy.

Day 4 now and I can feel improvement. The Sudafed helps the congestion too. The eye swelling moved down to the lower cheeks today, which I guess is nice.

The headaches, throbbing, swallowing pressure...can't wait for this to be over!

we have very similar noses! i will put some pics up of me! what exactly did you have done? i had a bridge implant to elevate the radix nasal bone shaved down he was able to debulk the bulbous tip and slimmed down my nostrils
i just had mine surgery on the 23rd i have very thick skin! my doctor Dr Le said it was so thick it stood up by itself ! how embarrassing ! if u have more questions feel free to private message me
I wish you a speedy recovery. I know it's not fun at all because I have been there!

dizziness

When does the light headedness and dizziness go away? Its as if moving my eyes makes me dizzy. I had one 45 sec spell of massive dizzy on day 4 that may have been attributed to not drinking enough water, but the overall feeling of light headed is getting old. Does it stop?

Day 5 most bruising has resolved and just lower cheeks are swollen. Slight drainage still from one nostril.

I didn't have any pain or dizziness (closed rhino), but I was drinking upwards of 1 gallon of water/day. May up your water intake. It does get better though-- at about the 2 week mark, you'll forget you even had it done.
funny I'm a little dizzy today as well! i went out this morning to get coffee but i feel pretty good! my husband has been cleaning the nostrils out so I'm pretty clear! how is your pain? i tried to upload pics last night but didn't work ill ask my husband to get some up later today! hope your dizziness goes away!
Maybe its the antibiotic. Which one are you on? I have augmentin. I would feel quite good if it weren't for the dizzy! :(

this dizzy needs to go

Has anyone else had this dizzyness consistently? Like constant dizzy for several days now. I had one 45 sec spell of vertigo but that was short lived. I'm drinking lots of water and not taking pain killers. I got some Bonine yesterday and it seemed to help 75% but dizzy was back this morning. This recovery is getting really old and I'm starting to wish I didn't do this.

I've never had vertigo in my life or much dizzyness at all. Can anyone give me some hope on this?

scopolamine patch withdrawal?

I've been reading about what could cause my dizziness. Apparently, that little sticky patch to prevent motion sickness can have massive withdrawal symptoms! Like really bad. And they can last weeks. Eek!!

I think this is my problem. I've never used the patch before and will never again. It sounds like a high dose of meclizine (Bonine) is a fix until I can ween off that. I will talk to my PS about it tomorrow, but so far this is miserable and I don't even care about my nose, just want the dizzy to stop.

Oh no:( sorry to hear uoubare having it rough rt now. I'm sure u will be ok but talk to your doc and have him check u out and stuff. Its a big thing, surgery

cast cometh off!

Painless and lovely!

wowww. congrats! it looks great! i'm so jealous that you're done. yay for you!
Done with part of it-still dealing with the Patch withdrawal and dizziness, but that should subside within a week.
Your new nose is so skinny! Congratulations!

More Details

My nose is still taped until Friday so I can't take any more photos, but I wanted to be more detailed about the procedure. And, yes, I'm still dizzy. Treating that with the Bonine on a very regular basis until my vestibular recovers. So, I never asked a lot of details about my procedure, but have kind of figured some things out. Multiple bones were broken, it was an open rhinoplasty, the skin was thinned, obviously the bridge was narrowed, and a lot of tip work was performed. The length of the nose, the "upturn" or "downtown" and the nostrils were not changed.

I was very happy with the result on day 6 when the cast came off. Clearly, the tip is swollen, but it looks just like it did before, so nothing I'm shocked by, and the bridge is so much narrower. I almost have a ridge instead of a plateau on the top of my nose! I really loved it. The surgeon was also very pleased. I can't wait to see how it develops.

Congrats on your surgery. Take good care of yourself. I see great results already. Once the swelling is down its g
Oops.. Once the swelling goes down its going to look so cute.
It looks very good at 6 days post!

day 9

Tape come off tomorrow. Til then...

Dizzy is 90% gone. I do believe it was the Scopolamine patch withdrawal, as much as every doctor says that's impossible (Google it!). DONT WEAR IT LONGER THAN 24 HRS!!

Otherwise, feeling good finally! I even shaved my legs!

Avogen for Scar Tissue Reduction

Has anyone tried Avogen to reduce scar tissue internally? It is just an avocado extract and has some excellent reviews for scar tissue reduction, although I haven't seen anything about using after a rhinoplasty. What about anti-inflammatory diets?

I'm paranoid because I have thick skin and love to exercise-which I'm afraid will lead to a very swollen nose for a very long time!

my surgery is in a month and a half and I was just thinking 5 minutes ago how I will continue eating Paleo style because it's very anti inflammatory and I'm betting that will help with quicker healing. I have thick skin like you I would definitely Eat an anti inflammatory diet during your healing. surely it can't hurt right also I would watch the salt which is sad for me because I love salt

tape off

Now I just need to protect this investment til it heals!

Hi there. It looks very nice. Happy for you.

Supplements for Healing

I have decided to stock up on supplements to reduce inflammation since a) I like to drink martinis and b) I have thick skin. Time to heal folks!

My 2nd week of recovery will include
-Camu Camu powder every morning
-Turmeric powder every morning
-Avogen supplement (capsule)
-Inflammatone supplement (capsule)
-MSM supplement (capsule)
-Probiotics (continuation)
-Bromelain (continuation til the bottle's gone)

Anyone have experience using any or all of these? I'm also trying to somewhat follow an anti-inflammatory diet. This swollen tip is gonna get old!

I used turmeric powder, bromelain, vitamin c, probiotics, and drank tons of water (and left out too much salt, and alcohol). I am 2 months P/O and do not have very much swelling (aside from the tip, which is to be expected).
Do you exercise much? How does that affect it? And, good to hear your result!
I do exercise quite a bit (5-6 days/week) one to times/day. I took it easy for about 6 weeks (incline walking on treadmill and weights, light reformer pilates, but nothing crazy) and am now 8 weeks and back to personal training, pilates, yoga, running etc. I haven't noticed any increased swelling.

more before photos

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Too many freckles? Haha, yeah ok.

2 week PO pictures

I'm happy with the bridge width. As usual, waiting for the tip to de-flate. For those of us that didn't have a bump, length change, or rotation change, it's hard to get immediate gratification. Luckily, I have some with the width of the nose. The tip hasn't really changed yet.

You know what I have seen on here lately, is some new random "members" just out to insult everyone! it's crazy. and the staff keeps having to remove their comments. i think it's some sad poor little kid with nothing better to do.
Yeah I got a comment about having too many freckles. I actually wish I had more freckles because I hardly have any! They were really grasping at straws and must have been quite bored!

Inside Nostril "Bump"

I had a slight deviated septum fixed but no cartilage grafts. Yesterday I sneezed pretty hard. This morning I noticed in one nostril (one that has been consistently sorer and more swollen) there is a tender "bump or protrusion" on the inner nostril wall, just inside the opening. It's not huge, but I can feel it with a Q-tip and it's tender. Is this normal? How do the nostrils normally feel around 2-3 weeks?

Your new nose is beautiful! :)
You have the most similar pre-op nose (compared to me) than anyone I've seen on here. I have the square nose shape too! I can see such a huge improvement and I know it will only keep getting better. Im rooting for you!

PhD graduation- just short of 3 weeks

Nostrils are pretty open. I can breathe through them completely. A few stitches have fallen out and things are healing well, just swollen.

i feel your pain! I'm in the same boat
Looking great!
I'm sorry to hear about all the dizziness! For me dizziness is usually caused by fluid in the ear (from earplugs) or my pain meds. I'm glad you figured out what it was! I also had an open rhinoplasty, you find that your tip is inflated too? At first I thought he did nothing to my tip, but I'm starting to realize a good deal of that is probably swelling. Your nose looks great!!!

side by side

The tip of my nose is already getting feeling back, which makes me very happy! I also have perfectly clear breathing. Tomorrow is 3 weeks post and I'm loving the nose!

Your nose look great , very natural and cute. I had mine done yesterday I also had a wide bulbous nose . He has given me a narrow nose , but I don't like that it is slightly pushed upwards , he told me the nose will fall back a bit after removing the plaster ! I am so afraid it wont :((
Mine also seems turned upwards a little more than it was before, at least from the profile view. We had decided not to change the length of the nose or the rotation, so I didn't ask about it, but I'm assuming it will drop a little since it shouldn't have been touched. I will keep you updated on it, but I wouldn't worry!
Today it looks much better ,maybe cause its a lot swollen . Thank you and good luck :))

the joys of thick skin-one month

Its been one month now, and I got back to exercising. Every day this week... Oops. So, my swelling is a bit odd and uneven. My swelling hasn't really changed much since week 2, but I think its a product of the oily, porous, thick, acne-prone skin I seem todeveloped.

You can definitely seen the uneven nostril/cartilage/columella swelling, but the shape of the tip is clearly now a triangle instead of square.

My changes seem very minimal. Let's fast forward 6 months now!

one more

I think you look great! I can't understand why no one seems to know the patch can cause dizziness (and nausea!!) it's on the manufacturer's website!
I didn't know that! Its weird because I guess it prevents motion sickness (never used it for that) but can also have motion sickness as withdrawal. I'd call it more like vertigo! Stay away from that thing!
Big improvement and it will get better. Happy for you.

almost 6 weeks

I'll be at 6 weeks post op (40 days) tomorrow. The nostrils are still slightly uneven from swelling. I'm hoping to get a steroid shot at my appointment in a few weeks. Aside from a slight bit of stuffiness when exercising, it feels good!

Your nose looks great. I'm 10 weeks post revision and still swollen. My yip is gard. I noticed the my nostrils are not even due to swelling. But overall I am happy about my results. Thanks for tge update.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hey there lalalagirl, nice to see your miserable self again.

2.5 months

Everything has been going well. I received a cortizone shot at 6 weeks post op but it didn't change much. One nostril still seems more swollen that the other but I think its improving. I'm happy with the results so far!

You look great. I'm glad you like your nose. I'm supposed to get the steroid injection next month when I'm 5 month post.
It looks really good! The swelling has gone down and there's much more definition. Turning into quite the cute little nose :)
It went down a lot from 2weeks! Looks very cute

5 months PO

I'm still happy with the result. Still somewhat numb and hard on the tip and I'm hoping the tip continues to refine.

4.5 months

LOVE it! You look so good!
Still looking good.
Etai Funk

From the initial consultation, I felt very comfortable with Dr. Funk and his receptionist and patient liaison, Leah. I traveled to Houston from St. Louis because I felt more comfortable with the doctors and had family there. I had a trip for the consult, a trip for the procedure, and will have an additional trip for the post op appointments. This procedure was for an open rhinoplasty with thick skin and a deviated septum. Dr. Funk came recommended by 2 people I know, at a year or more post-op. Dr. Funk spent a lot of time with me during the consultation and I was the only person in the office, how nice! No wait time. I scheduled the surgery a week later for 2.5 months ahead. He uses an outpatient surgery center and a downtown Houston hospital, depending on what you want. I went with the outpatient center and it was fantastic. He takes Care Credit, which I utilized. My primary concern was vomiting after surgery. I made it clear to both Dr. Funk and the anesthesiologist my fear, and I had no nausea or vomiting at all! Yay! The recovery was, well, a recovery, but both Leah and Dr. Funk called me the day of surgery to check on me. I had bruising for literally days 2-4 and that was it (and I had bones broken). My first followup was on day 6 and the cast was removed, no pain at all. It was then taped to day 10 when more sutures were removed. Again, really no pain. He then does followups at 1 month, 3 months, etc. So far everything is normal, symmetrical and going well. Leah responds to all questions and emails promptly. I am very happy with this decision.