Future Tattoo Removal - United Kingdom

I have decided to be brave and share my tattoo...

I have decided to be brave and share my tattoo which I hope to have removed. I am worried about scarring due to the lines being dense and dark. I have considered a few sessions of laser to lighten for a cover up but am still worried about scarring, especially on the underside and inside of the forearm where the skin is thinner and more delicate. Anyway thanks

Its a full sleeve but you get the idea. Id like to get it lightened, its gonna cost so much but I feel it's something I need to do when I have the funds! So many people here have Tiny tattoos so I feel so worried because the size and density of this.....

consultation

Hi
I haven't had time to respond to everyone just yet, I am hoping to have my consultation this weekend, would like some advice on what to ask things in my consultation!? I have not yet been to one so not sure? Thanks

consultation

Hi
thanks for peoples advice.
I have my consultation booked in for this Saturday. Feeling bit worried! Will update afterwards.

consultation.

Just an update
I have had my consultation today, they are using the ruby laser..4mm spot size and cooling machine. I had test patches done on my hands as i have decided to start on my hand tattoos first.

1st session on hands

A week post laser treatment all blistering has almost gone now.

Hi, your tattoo is very respectable. Because you wanted a tattoo and took one. Well, you regret it and I also regret my choice, but If we never took a tattoo we probably still wanted one. Now we all know how it is to have one, and I don't think this is a bad thing. Living with an unfullfilled desire for a tattoo is also stressful. I see you begun with your hand this give you an indication on the rest of your arm. I wanted to give you some tips for the rest of your arm: - Put all your emotions into positive motivation to gain some real muscle (train one day a week very very very hard en drink a protein shake during or after your trainingsession). Not only your tattoo will look even better this way, it also fades your tattoo (because your arm gets bigger) which makes it much more easier to remove eventually. You can also wait a few years with removing it and just train very hard and gain some kilo's of muscle. This is my own strategy of dealing with my descision. I do not look at my tattoo (and also yours) as a wrong decision. It may not feel this way but your tattoo is all YOU, so as my tattoo is all ME. We both desire our natural arms back, but in the meantime, use your tattoo regret as a motivation to earn the money, gain the muscle and keep your head high man! Because of my tattoo regret I personally got so much energy by my regret, I am now graduating university to earn money to pay my removal, I am very positive in life and I know there are much worse things than your and mine tribal tattoo, Tribal tattoos symbolizes respect and you definately with your tattoo can claim some respect, I am very happy and I have the same regret as all you guys. Overcome your tattoo and you will notice all of you will grow astronomically on it, maybe even more than if you never got your tattoo in the first place. Thank you for reading my comment! I respect all of you. People without tattoos should look up to us for chosing for the DESCISION rather than the INDESCISION. -Excuse me of my english spelling-
You make a decision. You realize it is not the right decision. But you took the decision. If you didn't take the decision, you would walk around wanting a tattoo. Now you have it and you should enjoy it! It is a bad ass tattoo. I have some tips for fading your tattoo; - Go and train hard every day and take protein shakes with it, put your anger and emotions in your training. Because of your arm getting wider and bigger, this will definately fade your tattoo and make it way, way, way more easier to remove eventually I can almost promiss you this. Next to this you can (of course wisely) let the sun fade the tattoo a little bit.
Thanks for the update!! Did you find the treatment painful? When do you think you will start removal on your arm tattoo?
Hi! By the pictures it does look like the laser is doing it's thing. I can see some broken up lines and in some places it looks like the ink has turned to a shade of brown which I am to understand is normal! Good luck on your removal!! :)
Hey there just checking in to see how you are making out, have you started your removal yet?
man unless you extremely extremly hate this i wouldnt touch it, its so dense and huge ,man. youd have to break that up probably into two or 3 sessions as you cant to the whole arm at once it would be way to much trauma and i dont think a person could handle that amount of pain if they wanted to.. your looking probably at 10-15 sessions for even a cover up, so unless its absolutely ruining your life id leave it, its not badly done
I agree with falco, it's really not badly done, I wonder if anything could be added to it...can't really explain what I am visualizing but I have seen a similar tattoo that they added more detail and it was pretty cool. In saying that, I did see a similar style tattoo being removed, his name is Conan Blake - just google that and you will see, actually I'll PM you the link. He is fading for a cover up as well, so it is possible, but as falco mentions would be probably 10-15 sessions.
I'm glad your consultation went well and you on your way with the first test patches. I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck and keep us posted. aloha...k
Hope it went well today!
Hiya! Went well thanks, i have had my consultation and test patches today. Im starting on my hand tattoos first, my first session on 5th April! They are using ruby laser, 4mm spot size and cooling machine.
Cost will be the most important thing to clear up with them right from the start. Depending on the place they might want payment upfront for multiple sessions at a discounted price or its simply pay as you go. Remember you don't have to decide there and then. You have a lot of ink too clear so ask how many sessions it will take to cover your whole arm. Will they be using a small spot size ( 2-3 mm ) or a large spot size ( 8mm - 10mm ). Its good to ask what make and model laser they are using so the specs can be looked at e.g power , spot size. Numbing cream is always an option but places ive been too its at an extra cost so ive never used it. Theres also mixed reviews on numbing creams as some say it toughens the skin to relive pain, but in turn makes it harder for the laser to penetrate through. They should at least do a test patch so you'll get the feel of it. I mentioned it before and kahelelani has too and that's healing time. In a large sessions like yours and mine there'll be plenty of shattered pigment to keep the body busy. Don't get the same area lasered before 8 weeks and wait longer if you can. That will also help not only with removal but cost. I noticed instant results in areas but parts of my forearm took 8 weeks to show any sign of fading. Instant results only tend to be from the first maybe second session tho. Im afraid its a lengthy process.........You don't mention how you feel about your tattoo. Does it get you depressed and down or do you simply want a change?
Thanks for your help, yes it makes me very depressed and it has to go!
During my consultation I asked about cost per inch, total cost, healing time. Depending on the method (I have the R20 which is multiple sessions in one with a break in between of 20 minutes) and area done. I would listen to the consultant about pain treatment and prevention. Do they offer lidocaine shots, which can only be done by a doctor or nurse? Do they offer cooling? Do they offer the numbing gel? And then consider things like the healing time. You won't be able to do a lot of physical activity, don't want to risk bumping blisters. If you smoke, consider stopping as it prolongs/interfers with healing. I've heard the same with alcohol. I was given a healing sheet with aftercare instructions. Ask if they will do the same. It seems that jman622 below has given you a lot of advice also. Experience from members is valuable. I don't see him mentioning cover up sleeves, they are very good and come in all shapes and colours. We've been there and can offer support. Good luck...aloha...k
Hi NewbieLeo welcome aboard. Scaring is always a risk with removal but scars can also be caused by the tattoo in the first place but you don't realise they're there until the ink starts to fade. I have a full sleeve which is being treated. I split mine into 4 sessions and I go every 3 weeks so each part has 12 weeks to heal before being hit again. Any clinic which asks you to come back in 4 or even 6 weeks is only after your money in my eyes, 8 weeks is minimum. I also wouldn't have too much of your forearm done in one session as you'll swell up too much and it'll be really painful ( found out the hard way ) have either the inner or outer done. Have you thought about what cover up you'd like? Maybe your artist could work some of the swirls on your bicep into the design as wind bars? so some areas wouldn't need to be treated at all?
Hi, thanks for sharing your story! Your tattoo is quite dense like mine was to begin with, so it has taken around 18 months to get to where I am now. You'll need a lot of patience but it shouldn't take many sessions if you want a coverup. Make sure the laser is as high as you can handle, but be careful at first as you don't know what your skin can take yet. Good luck.
Hi there..I like your tattoo. it looks like it is well done. But, I do understand your feelings of regret. I just wanted to wish you well and we are here for support.
The photographs show what you are up against...up against in the sense of time, money and patience. Yes, many people have large tattoos that they are lasering off, some have small, it doesn't really matter the size, the results are what counts. You'll find that some areas respond better than others. I have some areas that are fading faster than other areas. Have a consultation, which are often free or contributes to the cost and see what the professionals say. There are many here on the forum that live in the UK and maybe can offer recommendations. Sometimes it takes time to hear from them, there are many more people on this forum than when I joined a year and half ago. You might want to tackle just the lower forearm and then proceed to the upper parts. You can decide with the help of the consultant. Good luck, keep us posted, you'll do amazing. aloha...k
Thanks for posting your picture, the great news is darker ink, especially black, responds great to laser treatments and since you are going for a cover up you don' need to worry about the stress of hoping for full removal - your goal is very possible.

Here is another member on the site going through treatment with a similar situation:

REMOVAL OF BRAND NEW DENSE BLACK

BLAST HEAVY SLEEVE FOR COVER UP. -DALLAS, TX

This is my review - you can see I have achieved great fading in the dark dense black:

Hi Leo, as long as your seeing a reputable clinic or doctor with a good q switched laser scarring shouldn't be too much of a problem especially if your wanting to go for a cover up. You should look up fringeclass review on here as he's currently having his sleeve covered after a year or so off lasering. http://www.realself.com/review/dallas-tx-tattoo-removal-blast-heavy-sleeve-for-cover
Thanks for posting. I have been getting lasered the past year and have VERY dense, dark, 1" thick lines in many areas on one of my arms. I am working on removing two full arms of ink. They have lasered over all my ink almost twice already with no scars...EXCEPT for one tiny spec on my bicep{where a coworker grabbed me during my healing}.
aloha newbieleo, Welcome to the world of ink regret. You have a lot of company here. Some questions for you: How old is the tattoo? How big? Where is it placed? The closer to the centre of your body, the easier to remove. Some technicians say the newer tattoos are easier to remove, they haven't settled into the skin. Some say the older are easier to remove, as the ink has faded over the years. I started removing my ink 6 weeks after it was placed, and after ten sessions, I have soft grey lines. I still have more to go, but I'm happy so far. And will probably have a cover up once I've determined that the laser has done its job. Yes, I have some scarring, but I wear silicone sheets to flatten the scars. It's all a gamble with ink removal, but so worth it IMHO. Perhaps if you shared a picture/photo, the many that are on here could offer words of advice. A picture says a thousand words. Good luck! aloha...k
Hi thanks for reply. I am going to upload a photo today, its a sleeve so dates vary from some sections veing ten years old to the last being about 18 months.