Full Face and Neck - United Kingdom, GB

I am 46 and had ultherapy - full face and neck -...

I am 46 and had ultherapy - full face and neck - in May. I had a very strong reaction to the treatment - swelling, welts, swollen lumps for up to 10 days after. Also one burn. It was also extremely painful and I generally have a high pain threshold. I have uploaded a photo so that others can see that this is not a no down time treatment for everyone. I had to teach two days after and my face was like a football - embarrassing!

Having said that, I have had good results. Many people have asked me what I've done although I haven't told people about the treatment. Good result on forehead with eyebrows raised, lessening of nasolabial lines, but the most noticeable thing is fuller cheeks and much improved skin tone. I started to notice the positive effects about a month after the treatment. I'm particularly happy about the fullness in my cheeks as I felt that I was starting to look drawn and a big haggard.

Downside is that I have two indented scars, one on my forehead and one on my neck. I haven't heard of anyone else who has had this side effect so it's obviously not common. I still think it was worth it despite this.

I had Ultherapy on Halloween day and I do see a difference so it will be 6 months in 2 weeks. What I tell anyone who's interested is that it's subtle...very subtle. If you can afford it I think it's worth it but if money is tight I would say no. I am thinking about doing it again but still have decided. My eyes show the biggest improvement. I was thinking about eyelid surgery but not now.
Hi May I please ask where you had it done? I'm in London
I am 46 and ultherapy 12 months ago. I have had positive results. My skin is tighter, the texture is better with significantly reduced pores, the fine lines around my yes are greatly improved along with modest improvement with the nasal fold. On the flip side, without shots of Demerol I would not have been able to complete the treatment and after three natural births I was truly shocked at the intensity. I had significant swelling that lasted two weeks and nerve damage on the left side of face. My mouth never drooped but I had a significantly lopsided smile for approximately 4 months. I am 12 months out, and although there isn't a sole that would notice except me, my smile is still not completely back to normal. The tingly feeling on my face running parallel to my nasal fold has finally stopped tingling when rubbed. So, bottom line, I had both a negative and a positive experience. To be truthful. I would probably do it again because my skin does look better but there are real risks involved.
Wow, no good news for Ulthera then. So glad I ran away!
where did you have it?
Van Dam Dermatology in Barrington, IL
I had a great experience with Ulthera. Got it once a year and my neck skin that just started to sag completely tightened. Wish I could afford to get it done every year.
I can't believe the posts here; people are giving warnings about this treatment yet other women are still asking where they can have it done. Plead listen to the warnings people, whatever the change, the best you will look is 'rested'. Don't risk it.
I couldn't agree more!
I agree that ANY procedure with reported side affects should be looked at VERY carefully. I think the key to ANY successful procedure is tri-fold: 1) research (both online and where possible in person seeking the advice of those very competent or versed in the specific area); 2) knowing oneself and one's possible limits; and 3) once decided, getting the best possible trained staff to perform the procedure. I think various people will have unique experiences to a wide range of treatments. Both times I did Ulthera (May 2011 and May 2012), I asked for the max level of power and higher power cartridges, but I already knew that I reacted well to beauty treatments using sometimes extreme heat and light (I had Erbium Yag Fractional laser, Fractional "Matrix" Radio Frequency, IPL, laser hair and laser vein with good healing in the past), had researched the heck out of Ulthera, and trusted the two facilities. The first was a doctor I have known for 15 years who had newly gotten the machine but who oversaw the nurse, the other facility exclusively did Ulthera day in and day out and I took a chance that they were skilled. I also use Arnica Montana (natural anti-swelling) tablets 3 days before any procedure as well as topical Arnica Montana ointment and it produces a lot less bruising and swelling. Knowing oneself and what risks one is willing to take is so important. Some people are not comfortable taking a gamble on their skin, and for good reason. Others are okay with the risks when they are balanced by that person's goals and known tolerances. Between having the first and second Ulthera, I had gotten the Epstein Barr Virus (also known as mono -- thank you touristic hookah in Istanbul!), and knew my facial nerves were more now more sensitive -- when stimulated by stress or heat or light, I could experience temporary hives (I learned first hand that face and chest hives during public speaking are due to some of us interpreting EBV stirring in the agitated nerves as an allergen and releasing histamine). I knew Ulthera stimulates the nerves. But I was confident that any hives or swelling would be temporary. So for the second Ulthera, I did tell the nursing staff not to worry. They used the max power and had extra pulses that they doubled up on my cheeks and under neck. There were no burns, but the nurses were worried about the resulting redness and hives, they used a free cucumber calming mask on my face. Sure enough the redness and swelling completely disappeared within 30-45 minutes. Another person not knowing about their personal reactions could freak out. I personally found that Ulthera did "stick" back the skin which is just starting to sag, and with it, eliminated those tiny wrinkles that start when skin starts to sag. I would never regret getting Ulthera and plan to get it done again at some point. My longtime friend who is a plastic surgeon (who owns the practice where I got Ulthera done the first time) said that Ulthera is very good for people who do it early (starting in their mid 30s and early 40s). He said that women who use it as a facelift substitute too late will get minor results and be dissatisfied. So, newer and minor sagging will have better results than skin which is sagging more. The only question is if it is economically worth it. After I got Ulthera for US$2,400 then later found the deal of US$2,000 (including a free tube of juviderm) I was still satisfied with the treatment, but had to willfully avoid thinking about how much I had paid - that was the most painful part really. Regarding pain, its an individual experience. I have a high threshold for pain. I've done the Erbium Yag Laser at the max setting with stacking, so I'm probably an exception. Ulthera only 'hurt' me one third of the time, around the nerves (temple, forehead and jawline), like a much lesser version of hitting your elbow on its sensitive point, but tolerable for the result. The rest just felt like someone tapping their fingers on my face, but I am told that it is not common to feel it as little as I did. After I got used to Ulthera the first time, I didn't need to take vikodin they tried to give me the second treatment. But it really depends on each person. This is why licensed nurses who are also trained by the Ulthera company have to operate the machine, and they are usually conservative with the power level that they will go to on the first treatment. If I hadn't gotten Fractional Erbium Yag on max power level with stacking in the past, I would not have been confident that I could take max power on Ulthera. For people who don't know their skin, I think the conservative approach is better, maybe these people will find their tolerance is much below mine or their skin type is different and they would get burned. If one has indications they have a higher tolerance (from other types of treatments) I would definitely discuss that with the doctor or nurse so they knows what power level is likely safe for you. And with any treatment tried the first time, there is always some guessing and risk, these are the things one must consider and try to minimize. I have been told by a friend who had a facelift that sometimes procedures help you out in some ways and hurt you in others. I cringe when I see the few accounts of burning, but I also feel badly for those many people who probably received a mild treatment with mediocre results. And I tend to think the ones that either got burned or didn't have high enough power are the ones who make the bad reports. I think the people who got good results are out there enjoying themselves or pretending they never got the treatment (to avoid feeling guilty about the price). All I can say is that, for those who didn't feel it worked for them, perhaps the power level used on you was too low and therefore the results were half as much as they could have been. Or, perhaps a more aggressive treatment was warranted than Ulthera. Someone with more sagging for example might not need a full face-lift but could benefit from a mini-facelift or even a 'skin pinch' in front of the ears and into the neck, with a Fractional Erbium Yag or Fractional CO2 laser to lessen surface wrinkles. Even for people who have gotten a facelift, I do believe Ulthera is still beneficial for the regenerative effect to tone up the skin in the mid-level and to stick back any skin which may start falling again after a facelift. I would hate to see people who are ideal for the procedure, with a good tolerance for a greater level of power, to miss out on a procedure which in my opinion can push back having more aggressive procedures such as face and neck lifts. If you can afford Ulthera, and believe you have the tolerance, I highly recommend it. I plan to do Ulthera again within the next twelve months when I can save up for it or a deal comes by. For me, its a great way to tighten and tone up my skin, I also like the collagen repair, and the boost to my confidence. Overall, I feel it is a procedure which makes me look a few years younger every time.
Asking where to AVOID the place she had it at!
I have had ulthera done on my face and neck area in April at a London clinic cost me £2700 and after 3 months I still have had no change the skin only felt right for a few weeks after treatment then that's it your back to urself again. It is useless a total waste of money. Also I am only 30 and wanted a little lift tightening back into skin. It did nothing and to be told that I was a good candidate for this is absolutey wrong. The clinic just robbed me of 2700. People/clinics like this should not be allowed to scam like and should also refund you if there has been no change as its just wrong to take such an amount of money for nothing.no results. Extreamly dissapointed. Feel like I've just paid £2700 for an hours worth of pain 1 weeks of swelling 1week of scar scabing. And only 2-3 weeks of slight tightening effect. What rubbish. Please save your money.
Sorry to hear that Simone. Where did you have it done?
Hi. I looked into having Ulthera done at a London clinic. I backed out as they couldn't show me before and after photos of work they had carried out themselves, only the brochure, which means nothing to me. I would like to have something done to tighten the skin and lift the jowl area but this is a huge amount of money to gamble with. If anyone has had a positive result in London for a procedure that can help lift the jaw line I would be very happy to hear from them. Hope things improve for you.
I went to the Rita Rakus clinic for a consultation and was recommended Ulthera. I actually went to ask about Thermage. I was recommended Ulthera over my whole face although it is only my jaw and neck I am concerned about and I said so. I was told I had to have it for my whole face. I was not told it was excruciatingly painful. I only found that out looking here. I was told I would NOT get a refund if there was no noticeable difference after I did it. I was also recommended a whole bunch of fillers I don't want either but there was big hard sell on that front. Yes lets all look lumpy like Madonna. I was refused a patch test with the fillers when I explained truthfully I was prone to allergies. Rita Rakus's clinic is very, very, posh and expensive but I didn't feel at all safe there so took my money and left. I do not know what to do now but you need far more money than sense to do that.
Hi Eva, Have you heard about Caci treatments? They can be really effective as long as you follow the course of treatments. I am a skin specialist, the spa where I work, offer variety of facials and Caci "face lift" is one of them. Very often it works very well in conjunction with Environ facial. Just to say I truly believe in Ultherapy, Beata
Although I did have positive results as listed above, I also would not do this treatment again due to the risk of scarring again. However, it's been a lesson for me in not tampering at the edges of cosmetic surgery and I'd rather spend the money on a decent haircut and good clothes in future!
I did this procedure on January 21, 2012 and had a very negative experience with Ultherapy. It damaged my facial nerves and I looked like a stroke victim. Could not drink properly either. Fortunately the nerve damage healed. However I have two indented scars: one on the left side of my mouth and one on the left side of my forehead. Positive results are minimal. DO NOT get Ultherapy unless you are willing to gamble with your face. Complications are not as few as advertised.
How long did the nerve damage last? I am now one week post-treatment, and my mouth still pulls slightly to the left. Have to struggle to eat and talk normally. Thank you!
So sorry to hear this! My nerve damage did last from 4-6 weeks, but it now appears to be healed. Still have indentation at the left corner of my mouth and above left brow. The indentations are definitely due to Ultherapy damage. Of course, the doctor's office conveniently lost my preprocedure photos. Too bad for them that my photos from a photofacial 8 months earlier were still available. They showed no indents before Ultherapy. Phoebekins, I think there are a lot of us unhappy customers out there. I wish there were a more public forum to warn others. Good luck to you!
Thank you for your reply. So sorry about the indentations. Sounds like the doctor or technician applied the heat too close to the surface of the skin in those areas. I did have a few welts on one side of my face immediately following, but they were gone by the next morning. Every day the nerve damage is a little better - guess I'll just have to wait it out. Can't tell if I'll have any positive results yet - or not.
I'm also an unhappy customer. I had a lot of pain, some bruising but the worst thing is the expense with absolutely NO change!
I went to a clinic that specializes in Ultherapy (Wave Plastic Surgery in Koreatown, Los Angeles), they have a great price (US$2,500 full face and neck, 2,000 face or 1,000 neck) and my $2,500 included a free $500 juviderm tube) and therefore do it all day long. The nurse there said that she never uses the wand near the commissures (nerves below corners of mouth) because of the possible nerve damage. I therefore had no damage. I had them turn it up to the max level also and did not experience as much pain as all, but I have had ErbYag laser in the past and have been said to have a higher pain threshold. I'm sorry you have both had problems. I had a great experience and would do it again right now if I had the money.
Sorry to hear about your experience. But I am seriously wondering why the clinic you went to were allowed to use Ulthera close enough to your mouth to get a burn in the corner. When I had the treatment done the nurses told me that the nerves around the mouth (commissures and naso-labial) were absolute NO NO areas for Ulthera because damage to those nerves is easier than other parts of the face, and that one could lose permanent movement in one side or both sides of the mouth. (Maybe its a practice to avoid the mouth in some countries and not others?) Also, I was told and did experience that temporary nerve numbness for a month or so is normal and the feeling returns. Apparently this is common in other cosmetic procedures too, I heard that in face lifts, the entire ear may be numb for three months but should return fully.
Hi, CateBM. I had Ultherapy in January, and I have one very noticeable indented scar about an inch from the left corner of my mouth. I am terribly disappointed about the indented scar, as I am sure it is permanent. I have not noticed much lifting in my skin, but the texture is improved. Unfortunately, I do not think the minimal improvement I received is worth the permanent scar. Best of all to you.