Had Implants Replaced and in Constant Pain, Plus Very Bad Results, Want Them Removed but Scared - Any Advice - UK

Hi I originally had a breast augmentation 8...

Hi

I originally had a breast augmentation 8 years ago under the muscle with round saline implants, they were rippling terribly, at the beginning of this year I wasn't sure what the implants were eg PIP but I had another breast augmentation 22nd August 2012 and they told me the above info.

With this new augmentation I went with teardrop saline again under the muscle, at first I noticed that the right breast had a couple of bulges at the top and dents.

(Basically I now know that the reason for this is because the pocket is too close to the breast bone, the pocket has been opened up too much so there is excess skin, which is basically resting on the implant so the implant bulges out at the top then dents underneath - or at least this is what I've worked out from what I've been told. I have searched and searched but have found no one else that has had this - so I'm quite lost.)

After the seeing my surgeon with the problem originally he basically said that there's not a lot that can be done and that he had had to do a lot of work on the breast as the breast wall had been too far over the breast bone from my last augmentation, he said he had never seen anything like it in his life. He was very unhelpful and kept saying not much can be done really, He said at least you look ok with a bra on though, I burst into tears while I was there and then he said you never know over time it may get better, he mentioned putting pressure on top of the breast and the centre/cleavage with an implant stabilizer.

I did go back again because I was in alot of pain still 5 weeks after surgery but to be honest I feel my surgeon really isn't helpful, he acts all positive saying the results are really good and give it time and that the pain is more than likely the nervous but I really believe it's the implant - you know your own body and can feel when something is wrong and the pain is where the implant is bulging out and near the breast bone.

Anyway I have given it time, 6 months in fact and I am still in a lot of pain and the results are rubbish, I am going back on Thursday and I just do not know what to do, I'm to the point where I'm in pain all the time and it's exhausting and I just feel I want them out so I can be pain free and get on with my life, the problem is I'm worried how I will look if I have them removed but then part of me thinks well I look rubbish with them in anyway, so if I look rubbish with them out what will it matter as at least I wont be in pain, also I have no money to pay for removal myself, also don't really feel confident with this surgeon doing removal as results from his previous work on me haven't turned out well at all and another thing is that to get them removed means time off work which is quite difficult for me.

Is there anyone who can offer some advice - I have no one to talk to as nobody knows I've had this done.

I tried taking pics but in the pics I've taken you cannot see the dents as the light shines to bright to see the dent but the pic still shows how awful they look and which breast I am talking about, around the top of the implant and the clevage part its really solid.

Thanks for your replies. I do feel that removing...

Thanks for your replies. I do feel that removing them will be for the best but obviously am worried of how I will look after, who isnt. When I first went to this surgeon I asked about removal of my first implants and he said it wouldn't look good and advised me against it. I am reluctant to have him remove them as I worry he may do a rubbish job. Ideally if I get them taken out I'd like to get them taken out by a ps who has done it before and with good results so they can advise whats best for me and get good results, especially as I am told that I have very little breast tissue (although current ps said that, so how true it is - who knows, I have a lot of rippling though so probably, I dont remember being completely flat chested though, I was tiny but not completely flat) but how do I find one of these good surgeons. My current surgeon was recommended by my doctor, so I thought I would be in good hands.

Hi All Thanks for taking the time to reply. So...

Hi All

Thanks for taking the time to reply. So I have been back to my surgeon for him to have a look at me, he says he doesn't know why I am in pain.

He was being positive about the way I look saying he couldn't see anything wrong and I looked good, the results were good - even the nurse was agreeing with him, he was asking me to point out what was wrong looks wise. Seriously feel like I am going insane - I have taken more pictures and will post them for your opinions as this is not in my imagination - the implants bulges out and there are dents in places, this may not be visible constantly but put it this way I would never be able to wear a low cut top as it shows most of the time unless I pull my shoulders back as far as they will go or am in certain light and then you can't see it, but you can feel it all the time. Hope this is all making sense.

So anyway I am not sure what to do I said to him I am so fed up with the pain etc that I'm to the point where I feel it may be better for the implants to come out - he said if I felt that way there may be a chance that I can have them taken out for free on the nhs but it will literally be a case that I will be opened up, implants out and stitched up, nothing else, he said a lift at the same time is not a good idea and said there would be no need to remove anything but the implants. He said how I will look after is unknown as the pocket was removed from the breast bone, there's no knowing what the result will be but he has always said the results from having implants taken out looks bad.

I really feel lost to be quite honest and am not sure what to do, I have added some more pics so let me know what you thihk and if its my imagination - any advice would be good.

I also see what you are talking about. This is similar to what happened to me. I only had mine for three months but the cleavage skin was lifted and the implants shifted too close together in the middle and one had a dent on top. I figured what is the point of having them if I will be MORE covered up than without them? I took them out and everything is back to normal and I feel awesome. Good luck to you in whatever decision you make. Oh, and just from my own experience and seeing pictures of other women here - the results after taking them out are NOT bad even though most surgeons try to say they will be.
Thank you so much for your post, I have searched and searched and haven't cone across anyone who has had the same with the denting. I really do just want them out now as I am in so much discomfort. Its very hard when the surgeon says it will look bad and says especially with the way the pocket his been cut, it makes you worry as you woukd think they know best and that what they say would be correct but looking at this site it doesnt seem to be the case. Were you implants under the muscle? Did you just have them removed or anything else done. Thanks again
Mine were under the muscle 385 cc. The space has simply sealed closed. I had no drains and no capsules removed and nothing was done to the muscle. I so far have no fluid build up but am wearing a tight bra and compression bandage 24/7 for three weeks. It did not hurt to have them out other than the very first day and my skin has shrunk/contracted beautifully. I had pretty much no breasts to start with ;-) 34a or 34aa and everything is the same size as before, not saggy and not a different shape. Nothing else was done other than removal. I hope this helps you with figuring out your options. My surgeon tried to talk me out of getting them removed, but I am very happy I did remove them. I can't wait until I am able to sleep on my belly again!
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this info. I do just want them out now. Thanks again
Yes, I do see what you are talking about...it is not all in your head and if you are having pain removing them seems like a good thing to do. You have not had them very long so from what I have seen and read you should look similar to how you were before implants. Look at before and after pics and read stories here and you will see how amazing the body does after explant and being patient. Listen to your instincts and do want you feel is right for you. Keep us posted and don't give up.
Get another opinion, you don't have to use the first. you will know the right one, he or she will be sympathetic to your concerns and advise you to do what you feel is right x wishing you the best x
Hi Paige, I completely agree with BB. Many of us here have had similar experiences. if you go ahead with explant choose a surgeon by recommendation. Also, look at girls here who have had similar problems to yours. All the best with your explant, Lou x
Sorry your going through this trauma love...i completely identify with having to live with implants that turned out awfull...i lived with mine for 8 years (mine were under glands) i had no idea that i could do anything about it...i just thought this is my lot...after having my baby and struggling to BF i just googled breast implant removal...and came accross some sites...this being one of them..then started the journey to get them removed..im now 4 days post op, i have no idea what they look like properly yet... but either way fake boobs are just not worth it i dont think...my perspective changed alot when i had my little one. Good luck hun.xx
Hi PaigeW, I'm so angry and upset at how you've been treated by your PS! I don't know how some of them live with themselves at times! I feel for you because my implants are a big secret too and only select few people know about it. So, I hide myself everyday in fear of anyone finding out! Mine are coming out this summer. I had an awful consultation with a PS 3 weeks ago but I am seeing a new one tonight so fingers crossed. I was told I'd be completely flat too, but like you, before BA I had some breast tissue and wasn't completely flat. I have the rippling too and my implants are PIP. This surgeon I'm seeing tonight specialises in reconstruction, tissue and wound healing. He also does a lot of work with the Nhs too so he should have come across many people wanting removals. I'll let you know how I get on as I'm in the UK too x
Hi roseyjam, Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry to hear you've had trouble too, its so horrible and upsetting, you judt get to a point of not know where to turn and what to do for the best. Good luck with you surgeon, please keep me posted x
Hi hun, my consultation went well and surgeon is absolutely lovely. So supportive. His wife, who's the nurse is lovely too and she said her husbands been removing many PIP implants in women who were adament to re-implant 3 months after removal, only they decided to stay au naturale. I'm so pleased she said that as it shows he's removed a fair number of implants and the women have been happy. If you're around North West England, I highly recommend cecking him out. His name is Dr Stuart Mckirdy and he's based at Fulwood Hall Hospital in Preston. He's on their webpage. I've been confused too because I wasnt completely flat and being told there's thinning breast tissue does scare me. I've just got to hope for the best and wait and see. Best of luck finding a surgeon. I hope you do soon and one that you deserve. Let us know how you get on x
That is really too bad this happened to you :( If you are ready to just be done with implants, but can't afford further surgeries you should see if your implant surgeon will remove them at little/no cost to you. You have expressed your unhappiness with the results, waited as he asked you to, and the issue has not resolved. Simple removal under local anesthesia is an uncomplicated and relatively inexpensive surgery, and to make things right for you your implant surgeon should remove them for you with little or no charge. If you don't want an explant, I am not really sure what you can do. I wouldn't want to trust that same surgeon to do another revision implant surgery, even at reduced cost. But removal (without any internal capsule work or lift) is pretty simple and if you watch one being done on youtube you can see it is just about 10 minutes on each breast, small incision, pull the damned implants out and a couple stitches, that is all there is to it and not nearly so complicated and tricky as placing implants. If I were in your shoes and cost was a major factor - I would probably do an explant if the surgeon offered it for free/very low cost even if I felt he didn't do a good job with the implant revision to begin with. Sorry you are going through this - good luck.
I'm praying for you. I'm getting explanted in April after my second set of implants they will be 9 yrs. & 2 mo. When removed. Everyone here who has explanted seems so happy with no regretes. I will post my experience. Good luck with your decision, personally I would get a new bsps!
I'm so sorry for all that you have been through. I know you are concerned how your breasts will look if you remove the implants, look at the many pictures of before and after explant on this forum and you will be amazed at how the body heals. Get them out and let your body heal. The fact that you are having problems is your bodies way of telling you that something is not right. Seek out a PS who listens to and agrees with your concerns...this will be a big help in moving forward to gaining your health and life back. You are not alone.

I truly sorry for your pain! That sounds miserable. I've moved your review into the Breast Implant Removal community because it is such an awesome, supportive group of ladies who have been through similar situations. Please feel free to reach out to them on their own "reviews" as well.