Fun at the Ortho - Tucson, AZ

I was a 59 year old female when I got my braces. I...

I was a 59 year old female when I got my braces. I did it because I was grinding my teeth away. Braces moved my teeth apart so that this doesn't happen anymore.

My experience with the braces on way mixed. There were lots of times when my mouth got cut up from wires and thing. Dining was friends was just nightmarishly hard. Management of braces was fine, not a big deal - in fact I probably took better care of my teeth because of the braces. All my friends say they barely noticed them.

Now that they're off, I'm way satisfied. I wear my retainer every night. My teeth look great.

Barnett Rothstein

Made visits fun. Encouraged me to hang in there. I felt fully informed. I like him as a friend. He played rock + roll music, talked about travel while working on my teeth. Liked his before and after photographs. Awesome, nice, funny guy.

I'm glad to know you got braces at 59 , and thought it was worth it. I'm 55, and would like to get braces (wish I could have years ago) . The price I was quoted seems high ($5800), so it's a big decision.

Dear Lady, I am Indonesian, I am 45, I always think to get braces since my teeth are moderately crooked. I just want to ask you, when did you start getting braces? and when did you take it off? THank you. Aslam Sa'ad

Hi Aslam,

On average treatment for braces runs about 2 years. Of course it is different for everyone, depending on the changes that need to be made. If you feel comfortable, you could post some pictures of your teeth in the Q&A section and ask the dentists what they think would be a rough estimate for your treatment time.

Congrats on getting your braces off - that is very exciting!!

Has your dentist still recommended wearing a night-guard to protect your teeth from grinding, or was the change from the braces enough to fix the grinding issue?