My Journey - I had 3 children by age 26 - Fayetteville, AR

I had 3 children by age 26. My 3rd was 10lbs and I...

I had 3 children by age 26. My 3rd was 10lbs and I reached a weight of 215lbs during my pregnancy. After I had him I stayed at 185lbs for a while and then decided I needed to lose weight so I started running. I worked my runs up about 1/4 a mile per week until I was running 4 miles without any problem. I then signed up for a half marathon and used a running website for my 10 week training plan. By the time I ran the race a little over 2 yrs from the birth of my 3rd I had reached my goal weight of 139lbs. I have been running ever since. I have actually gained weight since then but just ran my 7th race 2 weeks ago in Tulsa. Even at my goal weight I could not get rid of my nasty stretched out belly. So I signed up for my tummy tuck and made a goal to save the money to do it. I didn't reach my goal weight before surgery but still felt like I needed to go ahead at 155pounds and do it. Today is day 5 post op. I am moving around good and am happy with my results. I knew my stretch marks would still be on my belly since they were so high but now they are all below my new belly button. Only problems I have had w recovery is not being able to urinate easily (pretty sure I have a bladder infection). So excited to see my results over the next few months. The doctor took off 8 pounds during surgery which surprised both of us. Today I weigh 160 being swollen and have to keep reminding myself it will be less in a few weeks. My goal weight is still 139 and I hope this will inspire me to get the last of it off. Oh and my doctor does the technique without drainage bulbs and I have been very happy about that.

A week after surgery realized I was retaining 1.6...

A week after surgery realized I was retaining 1.6 liters of urine. Had to get catheterized for 3 days and bladder started working again.

I am 5 weeks PO now and still swollen..Standing straight most of the day and havent resumed exercise although the holidays hurt my diet a bit. Cant wait to run again. Still want to lose 15-20 more pounds and then will be where I want. I havent wanted to shop for any new clothes yet because I am not happy with my weight and swelling. Overall very happy with the surgery.

7 Week post op update-new pics-smaller BB. Belly...

7 Week post op update-new pics-smaller BB.
Belly button is smaller but dr said will be fine. Started running last week. Still swelling in the evenings. Bough a new running shirt and pants- so excited to have no flapping while running :)
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

I like Dr. V alot. I have had more complications than most people and I am still very pleased. My belly button didnt work out so well. It is almost completely gone now. The Dr. said my body over healed itself and scar tissue just kept growing. I have had abdominal pain that nobody ever has that he or I have heard of (lower left abdominal area under incision line). I have been to 3 more drs and had ultra sounds and a CT and nothing is to be found there which makes me assume its scar tissue pain on scar or nerve damage? It sucks but once again I still would do it all over again. The scar placement is fine if you are talking about where its located.
I have a consultation with Dr. V this month and I'm really nervous about surgery. Can you tell me about your scar placement and your
expeience with him?
Thanks guys for your kind words. I am still sore especially at end of day. 9 weeks out now. My dermatologist looked at my scar and the swelling and suggested I still keep my garmet on. Been running 3 and 4 miles and it keeps me sore the next day still. Still don't get the few pounds I have gained- anyone else gaining weight lately ? I am running and eating pretty good gaining weight and still swollen a little.
Looking amazing, Keep up the great work.
I love the shirt! Your BB is perfect! So exciting that we can train now!!
cantwait, you're very pretty!! And now with that teeny belly!!
You are looking fantastic!
Yes! My batwings have to go also!! I guess you have inspired me to get my lazy butt out of bed this morning! Thanks!
Thanks! Klewis, fitdiva, and gandil! Fitdiva you should get back to running before surgery - will really pump you up and I think It helps you get moving after sugery cuz you keep worrying about losing miles by sitting.
Gandil I am still sore for like 4 days ago running. Does it take you this long to recover? I bike too so maybe I'm overdoing it or something w work and the kids ?? Woke up in pain last night over it. But I guess I'm headed to the gym anyway :)
I'm the same way, just hit it again tomorrow! I love it. I was sore after my run too. I also walked 2-3 hours a day three days after so I'm not sure... Either way I'm liking that feeling in my legs again. Hopefully going to the gym tonight to get my arms back in shape, the batwings have got to go!
You look great! Very cute top, such a great feeling! I love putting my running pants (spandex) and top like that on with out the need for shorts to hover the skin mass! I ran last week and felt great, I'm going to zumba this morning I'm excited! I have always wanted to do a warrior dash, I think that will be in my fall race plans as well as a trail race. I'm doing a few relays, on in august is 216 m, 12 runners in 2 days! Feels so good
to be back to my crazy exercise addiction!!! Happy running!!!
Wow your new tummy looks great!! I miss running so much. You have I soured me to get back into it. Maybe I'll start now before surgery.
Looking good!!!
You look great!! Awesome job by your doctor! you look very natural. I started excercising as well! Take it slow our bodies will adjust. I just rest when I feel stiff or heavy during the run for now. Good luck!!
thanks so much newlife! I will start soon hopefully
I started running this weekend. I took it easy 3.2 miles run/ walking. it was fine. I am still swelling with too much of anything!! I can't wait to get out of the flexes!!! I am just afraid I will swell too much! I am trying to concentrate on my upper body arms right now since they have been soo neglected. I signed up for a 10k Mudrun in June!!
oh I love mudruns! that was my first "race" ever in Denver. I havent worked on my arms yet- hope that is going great for you. I actually am hurting today now. Didnt wear flexee all day.
Cantwaitfortummytuck, your new tummy is awesome!
thanks so much- no perfect but im happy :) youre sweet.
Your activity level sounds about like mine. I had just ran my last race right before surgery and I am starting to train again for my next. Your body will remember and pick up quickly after recovery. Here is a site on muscle memory http://m.wisegeek.com/what-is-muscle-memory.htm. I definately wouldn't have wanted to be further than 30 min away. The pain was not bad at all for me. My after pics aren't great but like I said before I would do it again even if they put my belly button on my back. I went back a week after about my bladder and have been back once since and go back again next month. It's been easy and pleasant.
I want to be realistic about my expectations but looking at some of the before/afters on some sites has me a little freaked out. I'm extremely active (I am an avid runner and also workout 4-5 times a week) so the idea of having to rest for weeks is also something that has me panicked. I am also looking at a doctor in OKC and Dallas but I'm nervous about the "what-ifs" and if I have an issue, being that far away. How was your pain? How often did you have to go in to see him post-op. Sorry for all the questions but I am finally to the "lets do this" phase and I need to just go and do it already before I chicken out again!!!
Also razorback- I would recommend a dr you can get to quickly. For sure. His staff is great with after hour care. He is ranked at the top in the area.
Um wow. Her belly button died. That is no good. I have been a little concerned about how small my belly button is but if it died I prob wouldn't go back and get it fixed depending on how invasive that would be because I will never be wearing a bikini or anything due to my stretch marks. I rescheduled my surgery 3 times over two years due to fear. The last time I rescheduled it was a few months out. I bet they can get you in pretty quick. No fee for consult either. I had lipo on hips too and he does a lipo above belly button on midline which is cool. Not sure if they all do that or what. You can call me if you need to talk about it. In from the FS area. Two of the ladies in the office have recently had TT also so they can talk to you about it at the consult also.
How is your belly button? My sister had a full body lift a few years ago and her belly button "died". She now has an oddly shaped button that disappears when she lies down. She's going to have to have it fixed. Was your wait time between consult and actual surgery very long? Was there a consult fee? :) Sorry for all the questions but I want to be as informed as possible! My consult is scheduled for next week!!!
Hey! Vanderpool is great. I didn't have any problems except for my bladder and that wasn't his fault. If you feel you aren't peeing enough after surgery tell him immediately and persistently. We didn't catch that I was retaining for a week and I filled up to 1.6 liters and my bladder still hurts today 6 weeks out. He put a catheter in for 3 days and sent me to an urologist. The anesthesia made it forget how to work properly. I love Dr V and his staff! Oh and the 8 weeks off from exercise is totally worth it and it will be made up to you the first time you go back to exercise with your new body! Although I use running as my antidepressant so I really need to get out there next week and run. Yesterday was my first day back to exercises. Tomorrow will be my 6 week mark. I biked 10 miles at a good pace yesterday. I swelled quite a bit but this morning woke up with little swelling. It felt so invigorating. Hope to start back running next week.