I am athletic but the loose skin and excess belly - Best Decision Ever! - Seattle, WA

The decision to have a tummy tuck was for me. I...

The decision to have a tummy tuck was for me. I want to look in the mirror and see the person I feel like I am inside. I am athletic but the loose skin and excess belly & back fat did not reflect my very active lifestyle. After only 3 weeks post surgery I already feel like my reflection shows who I am inside.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

10 Post-op tips from my personal...

10 Post-op tips from my personal experience:

1. If you can afford the surgery you can afford to purchase TWO compression garments. I bought one nude and one black.

2. I organized my prescription meds in a "breakfast/lunch/dinner/evening weekly pill organizer" the day before the surgery. This way my husband knew quickly & exactly what meds I needed or could have based on the time of day.

3. If you get sent home with a urine catheter - TRUST ME - this is a GOOD THING!

4. Put old sheets/bedding on your bed for the first few days or risk ruining your linens. Same with pajamas.

5. Take stool softner as reccomended

6. Discuss your expectations for the kind of post-op care you desire with your spouse or person caring for you the first 3-4 days. I told my husband I wanted to be babied instead of just assuming he would. He did awesome!

7. I didn't have much appetite. I straw-sipped protein shakes and fruit smoothies and drank as much water as I could (when I was awake). Again, catheter was key!

8. Doctor said the fatigue during the first 6 weeks of recovery is similar to the fatigue during the first trimester of pregnancy - she is right! Sleep/rest when you feel like it.

9. My whole body benefited from the extra (medically-induced)sleep. I kept extra cream on my face and hands and my skin looked so rested.

10. Do not whine and complain about the soreness, discoloration, fatigue, physical restrictions, itching, numbness, etc. Trust it will all be worth it in the end. It is YOUR decision to put yourself through this surgery and recovery. Stay positive and enjoy the transformation. It is best for those around you and YOURSELF!

thanks for the tips. i will remember them. Hey any pics? hope all is well :-) when were you able to stand up straight and where did you purchase the garments? thanks!
Great tips, thanks!

What great tips! Thank you so much for posting these. They are an invaluable resource for other women about to embark on the great tummy tuck journey.

Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Sowder made me feel extremely comfortable with my desire to have a tummy tuck. She is professional, frank, and gives realistic expectations of the post surgical outcome. I have followed her pre & post operative directions to the letter and my experience has been exceptional! I am thrilled with my results thus far. The office staff is terrific too. They are professional, patient with questions, and always on time.