Pre Cancer Cell Treatment - Tucson, AZ

Inevitable outcome of sensitive Irish skin living...

Inevitable outcome of sensitive Irish skin living in the desert Southwest is pre-cancer cells on my face. During my annual exam at the dermatologist, he recommended a couple of options for dealing with this including the photodynamic blue light procedure. I took the earliest appointment available (two days from then) to get it done before I chickened out. Barely had time to check out RealSelf. Almost cancelled the appointment when reading how many people found the actual procedure and the following couple of days very painful. Had it done yesterday; didn’t find it painful just tingling like when you stay too long ‘working on the tan’ at the beach. This morning I’m swollen, red, and it feels like bad sunburn but still not painful. Per post treatment instructions, I’m staying inside for two days, applying zinc based sunscreen, and have Aquaphor ready for the peeling stage coming up. I’ll post an update in a couple of days at which time I’ll rate the ‘worth it’ section. Covered by insurance so just a $60 co-pay.

The doctor is CRAIG E. NELSON and NOT Jeffery Nelson.

The doctor is CRAIG E. NELSON and NOT Jeffery Nelson.

Took 7 days for all peeling and redness to fully...

Took 7 days for all peeling and redness to fully disappear but was able to continue volunteering on day 5. Didn't need the hand fan, ice pack, etc. that was recommended by RealSelf contributors. Other than the 'bad sunburn' feeling and staying inside for 3 days, it wasn't a painful experience. Hope all the potential cancer cells lurking beneath the skin layers have been blasted away!
Dr. Nelson

That is great that your insurance covered your treatment!!

Thank you so much for letting us know that you didn't find the treatment to be too uncomfortable. Looking forward to hearing how the next couple of days go for you.

How do I change the doctor's name? It is CRAIG Nelson and not Jeffery Nelson?

It is showing Dr. Nelson now.

How are things feeling today?

Thanks. Feeling good, Megan. Slight swelling yesterday morning but nothing today. Sunburn sensation almost gone.

That's good to hear. Please continue to update us. :)