My Zeltiq Experience - Tucson, AZ

I went in for a consult on Dec 2, 2010. I am...

I went in for a consult on Dec 2, 2010. I am 5-10lbs within my target weight, but I've always had a muffin top and love handles. After chatting, I decided to go forward with treatment. There was an immediate opening, so I had my lower abs treated with the small hand piece (large one was too big for me). The treatment felt crowded, but not painful. I read and listened to my ipod. I was given some pillows to prop under my knees which made me more comfortable.

I'm not terribly squeamish, but I was a little freaked out to see the pomegranite-red lump the size of a large stick of butter when they pulled off the device. After a minute or two of massage, it was just a numb pink spot. Within an hour you couldn't see anything.

On day 3 & 4 I still feel numbness at the treatment site. I'm also feeling a little tenderness and some intermittent prickling, tingling, and itchiness. The itchiness cannot be relieved because of the numbness! I spoke to the dermatologist's office, and they told me this is normal. I'm a little bothered by it, but it isn't terribly painful.

I can't really rate this yet, but I'll try to come back and update.

It is now about 5 1/2 weeks since my treatment....

It is now about 5 1/2 weeks since my treatment. The numbness is entirely gone, but I don't see any difference. I have gained a couple of holiday pounds :(, but my lower ab pudge just hasn't changed. I was told the peak change would be at around 2 months. I was also told that the change is subtle. My fingers are crossed.

It's about 10 weeks now, and I think I see the...

It's about 10 weeks now, and I think I see the faintest of reductions, but it's pretty subtle. Almost anything seems worth it when it comes to getting rid of the muffin top, but I don't know about this. I can barely see the difference. Clothes aren't fitting me differently. The numbness for a few weeks after treatment was bothersome.

Never saw a result

I never saw a result from the treatment.

Of everything I've read about this procedure, there seems to be a bit of a pattern on who its effective for and who ends up in massive pain. Ppl that are too overweight (and prob better candidates for lipo) don't experience much pain, but also don't see results. Ppl that are fit lose alot of inches, but then have alot of pain associated with losing the little amt of fat they have protecting their nerve endings. I think this is why the company's target patient for the procedure is someone who is 15-20 lbs over their ideal weight - heavy enough to get results, and with enough fat to be able to sustain the procedure without too much fat loss near the nerves. In addition, the severe pain seems to result from treatment to the abs or "front" vs treatments to the flanks or back where the skin is thicker. I am hoping to do this myself on the love handle area. Will post when I do :-)
Hi Wildflower,
Good news, now to reap the benefits of your Zeltiq treatment in a few more weeks. Good luck and be well.
Dr. P
Yes as a matter of fact, Dr. P I have stopped taking the gabaentin and I feel much better. Thank you for the support
Yes,your discomfort will resolve over time (1-2 weeks). Lidocaine gel patches help. Good luck and be well. Dr P
I had the treatment performed 11 days ago, and the pain is not gone. I am in a tremendous amount of pain.
Well I finally went to the emergency room and was given a prescription for a topical anlgesic, gabaentin for neuropathy, and percocet (oxycodon). I have not read anything like this. Will the pain ever go away?
Hello, I am with in 5 pounds of my healthy weight. I have a muffin top and I had the front side areas done on Monday. It was painful when they put the vacuum on. I felt it on my hip bone. The pain went away in about 5 minutes. I had one side done at a time. When they fininshed the second side I was in alot of pain for about 10 minutes. I felt numb, but the next day and since then, I have been experiencing sharp tinglingl that wakes me up at night. I am taking tylenol and the pain is still there. I need relief bad, I am iratable and unable to function;(. What can I do. I can wear pants or underware, when it touches my skin it is painful. I went last night to get the back part done I had my areas on my sides (muffi. I asked them to measure me, they were reluctant but I knew that I was loosing inches even only after 5 days. I was right, I lost 2 inches so it is working quickly, but very painful. I need something to help the pain. Any suggestions, I am desparate.
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post a quick update. It's been eight weeks since I had my treatment. I went back in for a measurement and I've lost one inch. I can see a distinct "flatness" in the treated area. According to the techs, I should see additional results over the next two months.

I'm happy with the loss, but I hope I'll lose a little more. But even if I don't, with the results I've seen thus far, I would absolutely consider having the treatment again.

Hi Cabot,

Glad to hear your treatment is starting to take effect. Would you mind sharing your experience by writing a review too? This way your opinion is added to our "Worth It" ratings.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your Zeltiq experiences. The technology is scientifically proven to work, but it does usually take multiple sessions. The numbness and tingling is normal for a few weeks. There have been a few patients who have experienced more severe pain that has responded well to lidocaine gel or patches (speak with your physician before self treating). Good luck and be well.

Michael Persky, MD
Encino, CA
I had this procedure 3 weeks ago. I did not feel extreme coldness at all during the procedure but when the vacuum was taken off there was a cold swollen lump. There was no numb feeling following the procedure, or itchiness. Is this normal, or is it a sign that it was not done correctly?
Hi a,

Everyone's experience with Zeltiq is a little different. The fact that you had a "cold lump" when it was removed is a good indication that you had an adequate treatment. The other signs are side effects. Good luck and be well, let us know how it goes.

Dr. P
Hi,

Thought I'd chime in with my experience. I had the treatment three weeks ago today. I am within 5 pounds of my desired weight range, but I have always had that belly pooch beneath my navel.

I was sore to the touch (when I would press on the treated area) for about a week, but not to the point that I felt I needed even Motrin or Tylenol. The strangest feeling was the "fuzzy," numb feeling in the area. It was intense (but not painful) at first, but it has gradually subsided and is now barely noticeable.

At this point, I am still not seeing any results, but I was told not to expect much before the two-month mark and that the most major results would not be visible for four months.

I'm hopeful, but I'm ready to see some reduction!

Thanks for sharing, Cabot. Glad to hear you haven't had much pain. If you haven't done so already, take photos now so you can more easily see the results in a few months.

Would you consider also writing a review of your experience so we can add your vote to our "Worth It" ratings? You can also use the review as a diary to chart your progress.

Thanks for posting another update! I've heard it can take 2-3 months to see results, so hopefully that's the case here. Did you (or your doc) take pre-op pics that you can compare yourself to?

Hello,

I would like to know where did you had this cool sculpting here in Tucson, AZ, I would like to go for a consultation too... thank you
Hi lizb77,

I went to ironwood dermatology. The PA who performed the treatment was great, and I have no complaints about them. I notice that it's a lot less money up at Gilbert Perfect Skin in the Phoenix area.

The dermatologists took pictures, but I think I will notice a change, too. At this point there is no change.
Hmm, I got a little confused with the web site, made an updated that didn't appear, and mixed up cape corals comments with my own. It's now 5 1/2 weeks. I have no pain or numbness, but also no visible results. I was told 2 months would be the peak of results, so my fingers are still crossed. I gained a couple of holiday pounds, too, but I think the pudge is the same as before the weight and the treatment.
Hey zeezee, I figure its been just over 3 months and whatever result you were able to get should have happened by now, do you see much of a difference? I have been watching this for a couple months and am interested in Zeltiq - I have an appointment for a consultation in a week but I am really hoping I can loose at least an inch off my belly bulge and I don't want to waste the money if no one is getting that kind of result...Thank You!
I had zeltiq 5 days ago. My stomach and my right side and left. I am small with a stubborn pooch. Because I am petite they had a hard time getting the vacuum to stay on my stomach. It came off twice during the procedure and had to restart it. When it finally stayed on it was on for an hour. Mildly uncomfortable. After it came off my stomach was red and frozen. 10 min after removal it hurt like frostbite I felt nausea. They gave me some Tylenol.I had no problems during my love handles where being done.. I even almost fell asleep. However 5 days later my sides are tingling with no pain but my stomach is in so much pain. I cant sleep. I took, Nyquil, advil, motrin, Tylenol and now Vicodin and I just want to cry, I wonder if because the suction head they used was to big for me? I hope this pain goes away soon. I don't know what to do. :(

How are you doing now? Any better? You may also want to post your question to our Doctor Q&A Forum, where you can get expert advice from over 1,000 doctors who visit RealSelf.

Please let us know how you're doing when you're feeling up to it.

Make that 5 *weeks* ago, not 5 days!
Cape Coral, I was uncomfortable for around 2 1/2 weeks and numb for an additional week or so. It did get better for me. Hang in there.
Hi, When does the pain go away??

I had one section done on my left lower abdomen 6 days ago. The first two days were fine, no real bruising or pain. BUT on the third day i started to get the pins and needles. The next day it is worse. 5 days later I can berely sleep w/o taking something. called the doc office and they said to take TWO Aleive every 3 or 4 hours. Not really woring. Pls when did yours stop throbbing. Due to my schedule i can only do one section per week. I was going to do my right side this Thursday. Ans then my Back on the Sat. Now I don't care if i am lopsided but there is no way I can feel like this for weeks strait.
Just wanted to update my experience (which I desperately wanted to read about before my treatment. Today is day 15. I'm still numb/tender. I was told that results wouldn't show for a month, and would peak after 2 months. So far no signs of any effects.