Operation Straight Teeth by 30 :) Toronto, ON

I've always been self conscious of my fangs...

I've always been self conscious of my fangs (protruding upper canine teeth). I've never had any problems smiling -- EXCEPT when taking a photo straight on, which is an angle where my crooked teeth are most obvious. On top of that I have a pretty deep overbite that I'd like to fix, although it doesn't jut out that much.

After saving for a bit, I finally took the plunge and got Invisalign a month and a half ago. So far, my experience has been on par with most -- initial soreness in the first few days, with the tray feeling loose towards the end of the two weeks. My teeth are tracking fine according to my doctor. I'm currently on my 4th tray.. I can't see any changes yet, but I've tried on my 6th tray (just out of curiosity) and it's definitely a lot tighter, so I know that there is incremental progress being made. My bite is also off which tells me my teeth are moving.

Some other details:
- I have a total of 23 trays
- LOTS of IPR, both in my upper and lower front teeth, ranging from 0.2 to 0.5mm. My doctor has been doing it incrementally so I don't have huge noticeable gaps, which I really appreciate.
- 18 attachments

Clincheck clip

I mentioned this in my dentist review, but I'm always amazed when I read a review here at Realself where a patient doesn't see their clincheck video until well after they've paid and sent their trays out for manufacturing. For me, seeing how my teeth are expected to move was a huge factor in my final decision to go through with the process.
Dr. Yongmei Zhang

After my impressions were taken, Dr. Zhang took a week or so to tweak and adjust the treatment plan based my desires (straightening + bite fix) and her recommendations. One thing I appreciated (especially compared to reviews of other doctors on this site) was how involved I was in choosing my treatment plan. Dr. Zhang offered me two plans, showed me the step-by-step and clincheck videos for both, and let me think it over before getting the trays made. I knew how many attachments to expect and whether I needed IPR, elastics, etc. (In the end I went with a treatment that involved more IPR but no elastics, as she realized my teeth wouldn't be able to handle any outward movement.) In terms of bedside manner, I have a bit of lockjaw so procedures where my mouth is held open for an extended period with a retractor (such as when my attachments were added) are really uncomfortable. It's hard to communicate discomfort in this situation so there were times I wished she would "check in" more on me, but overall I'd still say my experience with her is quite good and I feel confident in her expertise.

Congratulations, and welcome to the Invisalign community!  Your crowding doesn't seem so severe--I'll bet you're going to have great results!  Is your doctor planning any filing of those canines, or will pushing them in line be enough to make them not feel like fangs to you?
I'd be happy with pushing them inline. My doctor is a very conservative when it comes to unnecessary filing/IPR -- which is fine with me! I think she'd only file if it somehow interferes with my bite.. or if I insist. :)
Conservative is good :).  Thanks for posting the ClinCheck, by the way!