How to Do It Right - Personal Experience - Toronto, Canada

I am 47 years old and people say I hardly look 35....

I am 47 years old and people say I hardly look 35. However I know my face and I can see that the age is kicking in by starting to show some aging and now is the time to take care of it before it is too late. Overal I had an even skin tone apart from minor imperfections ( freckles, some reddness on the nose, skin tone in general), but I wanted my skin to be perfect and decided laser peeling was the right procedure for me.

2 weeks ago I had Fraxel laser done on my neck ( 3 passes), it healed well, no side effects except little cold sores outbreak in one place on the neck which I treated right away with Acyclovir(Zovirax) pills 800 mg every 3 hours for 5 days. Happy with the results, my neck looks 10 years younger now, but I donèt know how long the effect will last.

This procedure inspired me to do something with my face, so when I saw the deal on groupon for 190$ for 2 Micro Laser Peels I did not think twice.
I checked the clinic out too - and I was happy to find out that even technicians in that clinic are immigrant dermatologist doctors - it is not easy to get doctors license in Canada, so many qualified doctors have to settle for a technician or nurse. Besides that the clinic performs full range of plastic surgeries, so this looked like a good sign to me ( not being a medispa or something of that sort)

I repeated Acyclovir treatment before the procedure, 800 mg every 8 hours for 2 days to prevent cold sores outbreak ( they can leave scars if not taken care of) and went for the procedure on Thursday afternoon.

The consultant at the clinc was very attentive, so was the technician who happened to be a doctor back in Russia. We decided that I will have 2 procedures 1 month apart with 10 micron strenght. I also purchased Hydragel advanced B5+ Comple from the clinic to use after the procedure at home. My skin type is between 2 and 3 ( dark blonde with whisky colored eyes I had a numbing cream applied for 30 minutes and then the procedure started. The machine (Contour Erbium Laser) was set for 10 microns, but I felt it was a little strong, so we adjusted it to 8 microns. I know that it is not deep enough, and I might need few more procedures to achieve the result I want, but it is better to be slow than sorry.

The procedure was a little painful, but nothing I could not bear ( an I cant tolerate pain at all). After the procedure my face was covered with hyaluronic acid, panthenol and sunscreen +80 as it was sunny outside. I hade slight reddness which became more intensive by the time I got home. It looked like I had a bad sunburn. I kept applying the gel I bought plus vaselin (petroleum jelly) over the face. When applied the gel, I had a burning sensation on the face, but vaseline calmed it down.

I did not wash my fact that evening, nor took the full shower. In the morning the reddness was a little less, I noticed some browning started to develop - similar to the ones after sunburn. I washed my face wth vinegar water (1 part vinegar, 5 parts water), applied the gel which triggered the burning and stinging sensation and then applied vaselin. The reddness reappeared and stayed throughout the day. Repeated washing and reapplying procedure for 4 times plus one before bedtime. TOday I noticed that the pigmentation started to develop a little more, so I called the clinic and they told me it was normal - after the peeling the new skin will be revealed and the pgmentation will be gone they told me.

Being a skeptical person, I ded few researches and founf an ointment to prevent pigmentations after peeling ( contains retinol 10mg, alpha-tokoferol 5 mg, vitamin E 0.05 mg) applying it on the entire face on the top of the gel and vaseline. The face is still not peeling, may be because I am keeping it moist wth vaseling at all times. It looks evenly pigmented now( like a good suntan except eye eare as if I was wearing sunglasses, so I look like a racoon now), the skin is tight as it was 15 years ago, no single wrinkle.
At this point I regret that I did not do preparational depigmentation treatment, but it is too late now :) May be I will be spared from pigmentation after all

I have another peeling scheduled in a month and will definitely do the depigmentation treatment before and after it.
If anyone knows about interim ways to treat pigmentation, I would greatly appreciate the feedback.
I plan to post more on the developments if I see there is interested from the fellow beauty sufferers :)
Cheers!

Thank you for posting your detailed review.  Please keep the updates coming as you continue with the process.  Would love to hear what you think of your final results.

I have included a link to some information on Chemical Peel for Hyperpigmentation.

And Treatment for Hyperpigmentation After Laser Resurfacing