Why Should I Look my Age?! - Toronto, ON

“Regrets" Sinatra croons, "I've had a few, but...

“Regrets" Sinatra croons, "I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention." Which leads me to this theory: I should have done this surgery years ago.
I feel compelled to write about my experience. For anyone sitting on the fence and/or searching Google for “The Top 5 Best Cosmetic Surgeons in Toronto”, look no further than the capable hands of Dr. Martin Jugenburg at the Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute located inside the Fairmont Royal York Hotel. Incidentally, he is rated #1.
I did not come to the decision of having cosmetic surgery lightly. I am in my mid-40s and have always been dissatisfied with the size of breasts and I was now in a financial place that I could do something about it. It took me months of researching until I decided to have the work performed by Dr. Jugenburg. My first impression when I walked into the reception area was how spotless and beautifully appointed it was. I was greeted by Stephanie who is not only swee but knowledgeable and professional. I was ushered in to meet with Dr. Jugenburg. You know the old adage: “you only get one chance to make a good first impression”, well its true. Dr. Jugenburg is just plain wonderful and instantly put me at ease. Although he can engage you in small talk, he instantly switches to a professional demeanour when the time calls for going over the logistics of the surgical procedure. After answering my questions, it was time for me to try on implant sizes. His very first suggestion was exactly what I was looking for. This tells me that he listened to what I wanted to achieve and he has the experience and expert eye to deliver the patient’s wishes. I knew I was in great hands so I booked the surgery the same day of my consultation.
For those of you, like me, who gets squeamish from the sight of a band-aid, I specifically want to address the issue of what to expect in terms of pain. My anxiety kicked in to high gear cause the worst part of all of this, is the not knowing what to expect. How painful was it supposed to be? How much pain am I going to have; is it going to be ongoing throughout the day and night? I have friends who have had breast augmentations but like childbirth, unless you are part of the group, no one really tells you about their experience. So I turned to the internet. There are infinite blogs out there from women who emphasize the outcome of their boob jobs but no one writes about the time between the operation and the time they’re showing off their newly acquired girls. Well I am here to you… its simply not that bad at all.
The day of my surgery, I checked in early at the hotel (your overnight stay is included in your package – how very civilized), dropped my stuff off in the room and went to the clinic to tell them that I’ve arrived. I decided on silicone implants placed under the muscle with a much needed breast lift on the right side (400ccs in the left one and 425ccs to correct the size and symmetry of my right breast). Right before surgery, I met with the OR nurse, Glenda, who gave me my medication and went over my prescriptions, then Dr. Jugenburg came to take final measurements and pictures before the operation. Measure thrice, cut once. I was taken to the state of the art operating room where the anaesthesiologist (who had a great sense of humour and put me at ease instantly) gave me a baby needle to freeze the area where he was going to place the IV line (they really do think of everything). If I was asked to count backwards from 100, I think I got to 99 and then it was lights out for me. When I woke up in a recovery room, I was already outfitted in a complimentary Victoria Secret’s sports bra that conveniently zips up in the front. The always delightful and smiling Kim (Managing Director) wheeled me to my hotel room and gave my boyfriend and I instructions on what to expect the first night.
Now for the recovery. Was it painful the first night? No. I expected freakish/stabbing sensations as I breathed. It didn’t happen. It wasn’t painful as much as it was a feeling of tightness and heat radiating off my chest. It’s really not so bad. The medication that you are prescribed will help ease any sort of pain your body may begin to experience. Besides, the meds are so strong, it basically made me woozy and helped me to sleep. By day 3, I had already switched to Tylenols every 4 or 6 hours just to make sure I kept myself comfortable. The worst part of it for me was the lounging around and waiting to get back to my regular routine. The only thing that started to hurt were my eyes from watching so much Netflix and HBO.
The aftercare is outstanding. The follow-up appointments to have my dressings changed and to see my progress were performed by Na’ma (Grace), the OR Manager, who is just the sweetest, gentlest, caring woman. She went through massage techniques and answered all the questions I had. Dr. Jugenburg would also come in and examine me and would take photos to monitor my progress. All in all, Im at month 3 and they look and feel fabulous! Follow the doctor’s instructions and you’ll be just fine.
I am wholehearted satisfied with the surgery and the care I received. I would recommend Dr. Jugenburg and his staff to everyone. In a world of "woulda, coulda, shouldas," where Im concerned, my only regret is that I didn't do this earlier.
P.S. I also couldn’t resist getting injections of Botox and Juvederm from the talented Glenda. If you have anyone coming at you with a needle to your face, it should be Glenda. I think her overall kindness and gentleness make the needle not hurt as much.
Toronto Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your experience and making it a detailed one too :) I plan on going to see Dr Jugenburg as well for my BA, just not sure what date I will be choosing yet. How are they feeling now, have they dropped and fluffed how you had expected so far?

Congratulations! Glad to hear you are happy with your results and your PS! Sounds like you had a smooth recovery in a rather luxurious hotel. What was your pre op cup size? Have you been professionally fitted and sized for new bras at 3 months post op? Enjoy your new look and thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf!