Came out Looking Like a Snake - Toorak, Victoria, AU

Now almost 10 years later I came across this site...

Now almost 10 years later I came across this site while looking for a doctor who may be able to repair the damage done by this man. In short I went in for a temporal brow lift, he decided he would fix my eyelids (without any signed permission) & announced post op that he had given me a free procedure!
I don't know what went on while I was under but I've been told he must have taken too much skin from the upper eyelids & tried to fix the problem of inadequate eyelid closure by tightening the lower eyelid. This resulted in my outer lower eyelids meeting the uppers at sharp angles, reducing the size of my eyes dramatically & giving me a shifty snake like appearance. I had a hematoma under one eye & his nurse told me he'd performed a lower bleph but he denied it & they refused to send me records of notes. I was so traumatised I locked myself away for 6 months & even now won't allow any photos & can't stand to see my reflection. People who knew me before don't recognise me & my family was devastated. He altered not only my appearance but my life as I no longer have the confidence I once had. I can only guess that during my consultations he probably got his notes mixed up because he kept interrupting to take personal phone calls from his daughter. He may have a Toorak address but he's certainly not professional!

Snakey pics

I've finally found a few old photos to illustrate why I call myself snake eyes although I probably should have posted this on the appropriate eye surgery page. However the crafty appearance I now have came about as a result of both a Temporal lift & eye manipulation. The slightest angle alteration of the upper or lower lids can so easily change one's expression which affect others' perception of your personality! I try not to smile in photos because that's when I look really scary & I wear glasses most of the time although I don't need them-even had a prescription pair made up with normal glass! The before & after photos I've posted (some are pretty grainy) illustrate the difference in the angle of the eyes which in turn affects the expression & although I'd had a Bleph many years prior with not the best result, the shape hadn't been affected & that makes all the difference.
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

do you think you can go to Korea and get a reconstruction? could be there is hope. do your research with reputable Korean plastic surgeon(s), if you will? it might be different with Caucasian but maybe those Korean surgeons can do wonders..
I saw Mendelson in 88 and decided he wasn't for me, he must be in his 70's now, however when in the Mercy having another op the nurses were telling me about this amazing plastic surgeon and how meticulous he was. His name is Tony Holmes and I think he is in East Melbourne but quick google will find him. Another from this site is Howard Webster in Hawthorn East, but make sure he specialize in faces, as they all have their area of expertise. Pluck up the courage and go for a consultation and see what can be done. Webster was offering a free consultation awhile back if you mentioned this site. All the best.
I am sorry to read your experience. I have been thinking of a half face lift and eye lift. I cancelled my appt last Dec and have been reconsidering, not sure to now. I did find one of his girls indifferent and that put me off. Not his nurse, she was personable. I wish there was a register with good surgeons listed somewhere.
Thanks for sharing. I hope I look good again someday
I also had a very bad outcome on the brow lift. Very stupid of me to trust the people selling me the procedure to answer my questions and calm my fears. Some of these places could care less if they ruin someone's looks as long as they get paid. I'm sorry you went through this too. It is my understanding that a reversal is very risky and must be performed by a very experience surgeon. Finding an honest surgeon is a different story.
Hi Faith. I visited Dr. Yaremchuck for a brow lift reversal consult. Mine was a coronal. He is unable to do a reversal on me due to the fact that the blood supply isn't there. Devastated.
Snake, I fully sympathise with your experience and your reaction to it. You are perfectly right in that it does change the way you feel about yourself and how you behave, as I've been there too. I had my procedure in November 2012 and my eyes have changed beyond recognition and do not feel normal. They look small and mean and almost 'piggish' in shape and size. They were my best features. I have regretted my decision ever since. I'm not sure what to do about fixing it as my faith in plastic surgery and surgeons has taken a nose dive. I will see an occuloplastic surgeon when (and if my faith returns) and I have worked up the courage to go under the knife again. The first was a plastic reconstructive surgeon who actually said he could perform "miracles". Maybe that alone should have warned me off him! All my best. Let us know how you get on.
DashedHopes - I understand your indecision. I've waited almost 10 years trying to accept this new persona & realize it never gets easier...10 years of regretting; I wish I'd tried to find someone to improve the situation earlier as time doesn't heal. However my apprehension still refrains me & I'm older now (63) so money is less & I worry about GA risks. Time's up..I have to bite the bullet or forever let it go!
I feel the same way. I am 61 now. When I had my procedure in November 2012, I was 59. I had hoped to look refreshed for my 60th birthday which was in March. I celebrated Christmas with only my partner. My 60th birthday also. I was too embarrassed to face my family and friends. All the healing is complete now but my cheeks are lopsided and my eyes look and feel strange; its difficult to describe. Despite my best efforts, I am finding it difficult to live the life I led before my surgery. I am distracted by this 24/7. If my eyes FELT normal I might have been less aware but I can actually FEEL where the scars are above the natural crease and the gummy and constant tearing won't allow me to forget it for one minute. Like you, I have to 'bite the bullet' and do something about it, or—as you say—let it go forever! You echo my sentiments entirely. Trust is my biggest issue and getting over my fear is going to be the biggest challenge. The only decision I have made, is that it has to be an occuloplastic surgeon or nothing. If I am to to take another risk then I'll have to give it my best shot and go with someone who does exclusively eyes and the surrounding areas. I will be praying and hoping my courage pays off! So 'snake', I won't be too far behind! I wish you the very best result in your next procedure. Please do come back here to let us know how you're doing. All my best. DH
The eye specialist who sounds best for my problem is Dr Steinsapir from lidlift.com. He seems to perform most procedures & revisions so you might have a look. Sadly for me he's in LA (too far from Australia) Hopefully Dr Y will provide you with some good news!
Oh yes Dr. Steinsapir sounds like a good surgeon. His after pics are so beautiful - such an improvement. Unfortunately I'm in ohio and LA is too far for me to go also. I've been visiting eye specialists in my area but I get so frustrated because they all tell me different things.
I am so very sorry. I had similar experience by doctor who performed a coronal browlift on me without any consent. It's ruined my face and hairline, and pretty much my life. I can relate. Have you considered getting it reversed in any way. Hugs to you and thank you for sharing so we can get the word out about this brutal and unnatural looking results procedure. Agree it should be outlawed.
Thank you for sharing your experience on RealSelf!
What is an "Occuloplastis Surgeon?
Oculoplastic surgeon..specialist training in surgery of the eye & surrounds but some don't do cosmetic procedures so ask before you consult
I'm so sorry! I know how you feel. I look ok but I'm miserable. I pray everyday to have my life back! When are they going to out law brow lifts!
Hi '53..well I've finished praying-got me nowhere (my eyes I mean) Now I just avoid cameras & mirrors!
Oh so sorry you are going through this. Please tell me you got an attorney and made this guy pay for disfiguring you. Have you seen another plastic surgeon who could correct his mistakes?
No Cindy, in Australia you only have 3 years to litigate medically & I just didn't have the emotional fortitude. As he had changed his mind about the planned procedure from a Coronal brow lift to a Temporal just the day before, I hadn't received any paperwork & none was sent despite my demands. Of course now I wish I had taken him to court because he could never have produced my written consent for any work on my eyes. I was initially advised by many doctors that it would be very hard to rectify the damage done once the skin was removed. It was just the other day that I had a look to see if I could find an eye surgeon who may be able to do something & happened to see him portrayed as some kind of God in the art. This made my blood boil & I couldn't resist writing my comment. I'll continue to look around but an experience like this makes one horrified at the thought of risking a further disaster. His pompous remark to me when I was in tears was "I can see you're not emotionally stable enough to discuss this, you'll just have to wait & see if something can be done at a later stage"!
Oh what a rotten thing for him to say to you. I'm so sorry you have to live with his mistakes. I hope you can find someone who can repair his damage. Please do keep looking for someone to help correct his mistakes. Can you see an oculoplastic surgeon?
That's how I came across this site..I haven't explored cosmetic options for years but thought I'd look for a real specialist in the area. I did find one who I've bookmarked but he's in the States & probably wouldn't risk my snake eyes turning into little raisins anyway! It seems to me, every time the eyes are altered they get that bit smaller.
Thanks for posting your pictures. I'm in the same boat from my coronal/bleph along with a hairline that starts at the back of my head now, and a weird shaped conehead. Such an awful surgery to do to someone. You have my sympathy and support. Like you, and 1953, I've been praying for years for healing w/o any change. Please let me know who in the States you looked into. I'm in the process of getting consult for a revision with Dr. Yaremchuk in Boston. He's a long way from my home, but apparently he is one of the best, and the only one (I know of) who will touch a coronal for revision. My best to you, and know that you are not alone...there is hope for you and the rest of us. Someone I recently med had her endo brow lift recently revised with miraculous results. She is a natural beauty, and it looks like her gorgeous face and hairline have been brought back. She is so happy again and there's hope for us as well. Hang in there. and I'll keep everybody posted on my upcoming consult with Dr Y.
Hi Snake So sorry for your outcome. I can relate to all you say. Just want to put it out there to Aussies that we have the free Health Complaints Commission. They are in each State and will help you through legal process if necessary to make a complaint and get resolution whether monetary or even a written apology.
Yes we do, but the complaint has to be lodged within 3 years that is because if legal action is the way you want to go there is a statute of limitations of 3 years for that also, unfortunately it's too late for this poor woman.