Absolutely the Best Decision I Ever Made - Texas

My husband and I both had the surgery within a...

My husband and I both had the surgery within a month of each other. We had one of the best surgeons, a pioneer in the field who retired a couple of years ago.

Our surgery was in 2003. My husband lost 180 pounds and I lost 160 pounds. We neither one had complications and I attribute much of it to Dr. B - he made us take a psychological test (to ferret out any 'cheating' tendencies) and we had a 90 day period between our application/review and surgery, just to make sure we were committed and did the prep work (physical and mental) he recommended.

The best advice I can give anyone who has this surgery is to FOLLOW THE RULES. Everyone I know who has had complications didn't - they continued to smoke, drink carbonated drinks during the 6 month healing period, didn't take vitamins, didn't walk and do light exercise, drank alcohol, lifted too much weight too early, etc. Dr B also offered support groups and fashion shows for patients so we could regularly share and relate with others who had the surgery. It has been 8 years and I am so happy we did this.

You will be glad you did it, I am sure you will look awesome!
Thanks, this was so helpful, I'm scheduled Aug 10 :)

Thanks for your update. You sound like you've had an amazing experience, with a lot of hard work and it's paid off for you. Your review will be very useful to our pre-op community members.

Dr Lawrence Barzune (retired)

Once again, don't cheat, follow the rules, and take your vitamins! Can't stress that enough. And select a doctor who is concerned more about a successful procedure and his reputation than turning a buck. So many people I know have had GB and were never psychologically or emotionally prepared for the physical and mental changes they will go through. Thank God for Dr B, he was tough and very strict but it worked for us!