Day 3 of Fraxel Repair - Swelling, Whiteheads, You Name It

Well, I was told these would be the typical side...

Well, I was told these would be the typical side effects. I woke up on Day 2 with my eyes swollen shut! Thank God my husband was home to drive me to my post-op appt. My entire face was swollen too and I did not look at all like myself. I also started getting very small whiteheads so my dr. started me on an antibiotic that should clear it up. He also gave me a prescription strength of zyrtec as he thought I may also be having an allergic reaction to something as the eye swelling was probably more than he's seen.

Today (day 3) my eyes are not as swollen but face is still and under my chin and neck are swollen. I go back to my dr. for another post-op checkup and hopefully the swelling will have subsided a bit more.

I'll update more tomorrow but wondering if anyone else out there had this level of swelling as well and how long did it take for it to all go down. Thanks

I'm being optimistic in saying yes to it being worth it as I don't believe I'm experiencing anything out of the ordinary for a Fraxel RePair procedure.

Hi - I really don't know what settings he used but I think he used something a bit different around my eyes since I said that was the area I was most concerned about. (I think it was either ActiveFX or DeepFX). I'd have to say at week 3, my skin felt very smooth and soft. It's now 5 weeks post fraxel and I feel very comfortable with absolutely no makeup. The bleaching cream is working on the bronzed color and allover even skin tone. My dr. hasn't taken post op pictures yet so looking forward to that to see the before/after. I believe we're scheduled to do that in July. Yes, I took the antibiotic plus an antibiotic cream for the whiteheads and he told me to stop using the ointment on the areas that were breaking out. This cream made me super itchy but dried up the whiteheads in no time. After about a week I just used the moisturizer all over but continued to use the ointment under and around my eyes. I bet the aquaphor works just as well as the TNS ointment but I'd ask your doctor and ask about the antibiotic cream.. perhaps he can give you some samples. Good luck!
Hi Anon! Thank you so much for sharing! I am on day 3 post-repair in Austin. Kind of scary right now! What does your skin feel like at week 3? Is it leathery or soft? I go to the doc tomorrow. Hopefully I can stop the Aquaphor because I'm getting whiteheads too (and plus it's just gross). Should I get the TNS ointment when I'm there? Did you like it? Trying not to spend too much more, though! Thanks and best wishes! Mer p.s. what settings did your doc use? i believe mine used the highest! p.p.s. I'm on tetracycline antibiotic. Is that what your doc gave you?
Thank you for sharing! I have most of these products and am about to switch over.
I am using cetaphil cleanser, tns recovery serum, obagi nu derm step 3 in the am and 5 in the evening, retin a at night and skinceuticals spf 45. Make sure you use sun block again and again throughout the day!
May 7 has marked 3 weeks since I had the Fraxel RePair. I'm still using the post-ablative skin care set from SkinMedica but just about out.(I've also just started using a bleaching cream on my skin this past week. The color of my skin looks bronzed for the most part so I'm sure this will fade in time.) My dr. recommends me eventually switching over to the Obagi Nu-Derm system. But I'm curious as to what others are using for skin care post Fraxel RePair? I don't want this huge investment to go to waste with not properly caring for my skin. I know all these products are pricey though. Would love to hear from others as to what's working the best for them now.
I was out of work for two weeks with the fraxel repair. I had swelling, but the end of week one the swelling was almost gone. I did sleep elevated for over 2 weeks. After week one I broke out in acne (never had acne before). I was on an antibotic which helped a lot. Lots of itching the first two weeks. It is now three months and my skin looks amazing. I am starting to get back a few wrinkles as the swelling has gone down but there is at least a 70% improvement overall in my wrinkles. I can not stress the importance of high level sun screen after. You don't want to undo all your improvements. Good luck.
I had a lot and by day 7 it was tolerable BUT when I woke up in the morning it was always a little bit worse. Let me know if I can help.
Thanks for sharing your experience. How are you doing now? Any better?
It's been 1 week and I am a LOT better. I have a tiny bit of swelling under my eyes. My face now just looks like I fell asleep in the sun and got a bad sunburn. I have my 1 week post-op appt this afternoon. I know it's too soon to tell overall how much my skin will have improved from the Fraxel RePair but when I smile I see about a 95% improvement/reduction in the crows feet / eye wrinkles I had. Now, some of this can be because I'm still a little swollen so time will tell.