Terrible Itching After TT

I had a gastric bypass in 2001 and as a result of...

I had a gastric bypass in 2001 and as a result of quick weight loss, developed a lot of overhanging skin on my abdomen. I planned for and had a TT in October 2006.

The procedure went well enough. However, I immediately had a lot of itching and tingling right after the procedure. I thought it would go away and that it was due to the healing process. It would affect me more at night when I lay down moreso than during the day -- maybe because I was busy during the day and didn't notice as much; however, it still itched a lot. The itching is a deep itch under the surface of the skin that ranged from a burning, tingling, pinching feeling to horrific itching. Mostly itching.

This has gone on for almost 3 years and while it has lessened is still bad enough to make me feel like I'm going crazy sometimes. I wonder if it will ever stop.

If I had been able to experience this sensation before having the TT, I never would have had it, that's how bad the itching is. I have had other procedures done-- lipo to my upper arms, nose job, and again the gastric bypass, and never had this kind of itching. I feel that it will never completely go away.

For me, the tummy tuck was not worth all this.

I would not recommend my provider because he was arrogant and had a only a fair bedside manner. He did a great job on the navel, though

I had a tummy tuck two years ago and just recently, I'd say the past 3-4 months have begin feeling an uncontrollable itch in my belly. Not much worse than an itch you can't scratch. Drives me insane. And why now? Had no itching the first year and a half. Grrrr!!
Hi All, Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue. I had TT w/lipo 4 months ago. After the procedure I did experience serious complications (pulmonary embolism, bleeding internally, filter put in my inferior vena cava, a second surgery using the same incision to stop the bleeding, ect) I still do have some fluid/blood accumulation and seroma which did not exist prior to surg. I am not done with treatment and and hoping they don't have to go in a third time. Meanwhile, although with my upper abdomen protruding more than it ever had, I am uncomfortable. I too am experiencing this "deep itch" nothing that I can get to from the surface. It is not along the incision, although maybe internally where the muscle fascia was tightened is where I am feeling it. I will try what others here have tried, as my doc is not helpful at all, oh and not to mention my disappearing belly button over the past few weeks. I can barely fit a cotton swab through the entrance (and I have to remove most of the swab to even get it there to clean :/) I feel your pain, but am glad I'm not the only patient experiencing this Good luck to all
Try Benadryl it works wonders for all sorts of itches.
I massaged cream on my stomach twice a day. And, it definitely helped. Also, I found that eating light meals helped. Seems the stretching of my stomach after a heavy meal made it more difficult. At six weeks, the tingly/burning sensation has greatly improved.
Notice it more with tighter clothing rubbing on it, so wear looser clothing in afternoon when swelling still peaks, although getting better. My doc says some tingling could last for months more, nerves adjusting. It's worth it....belly looks great and getter better eery day. Hang in there. Lotion up, eat light, massage, adjust your activity level to the swelling....and have patience.
I'm having the same issue. If you are taking Oxycodone that could be part of the cause. I think there are many factors into why it happens, the tape they keep on you for so long irritating the skin is what I believe to be the main cause, and as you heal it itches.

I have found some relief with Gold Bond Medicated products. I got both the lotion and the powder. First use the lotion all over your stomache and carefully put close to your stitches without getting it on your stitches. Then put your underwear on to cover your belly button. After that put on your spanx. Then pull out your spanx to expose the top of your belly, but keep your stitches covered by your underwear and squirt some of the powder in there. I don't think it would be good to get the powder on your stitches and especially in your belly button so be careful.
But this seems to help relieve it for some hours. I do this about 2 to 3 times a day.
I am almost three weeks post tummy tuck with no lipo or muscle stitching. Am experiencing the burning/itching, Doc says its the nerves reattaching since that skin had to be redraped He said it could last up to a year. Moisturizing creams help mine. It's more of a sunburn/tingling combination to me. Will be able to take off the garment at the end of this week. Hope that helps. Horrible to wear tight spandex in this heat!
Almost 3 months into my TT and still have some swelling. The itching is much better now. They surgeon told me that the itching means that you are healing. A little Benadryl helps control it.
Could anyone tell me do the itchin stop I'm 4 wks and 5 days wit tt/lipo and itching
Had tt and lipo on 3/7/12 and feel great. Not one bit of pain, no more pain pump or meds. My paper cuts hurt more than this! Guess I was lucky. Just feel the pressure from garment that goes from under breasts and down my thighs. Today itching was terrible and it came from the tape holding my pump on my skin. Just called surgeon and I was able to remove it by myself with no pain at all. This was the best crazy thing I ever did and I hope the results are as awesome as my recovery?
Well, After all this time I'm STILL itching every single day. I have learned to live with it but it's still not easy.
I too am experiencing itching around the upgraded areas
Oh my, I'm am terribly scared after reading these comments. I am 7 days post op TT and the itching started last night and hasn't stopped. I cannot imagine having to live with this. I feel bad for everybody dealing with this! Hopefully this too shall pass.
I'm 6 yrs post TT. In addition to the numbness almost covering my stomach, I have terrible internal itching. The best releif I've gotten is with a natural brissel brush used for dry skin brushing.
I had my tummy tuck back in 2008 and I still am numb around my stomach! For the last 2 days I have a small spot on my abdomen that itches like crazy!! After reading all of the comments, I will try Benedryl. I really hope this works because I'm scheduled for gall bladder surgery on April 17th.
I too am a victim of the TT ITCH...This deep penetrating itch that can not be reached. It is always in the same spot. On the left side, 2-3 inches from my naval. I have tried pounding, pressed sharp objects against my skin. Leaning against something hard, pinching the area to try and apply pressure and nothing has worked!!! Never pain, I would rather pain than this ITCH. What is this itch? I have found temp relief by icing and numbing the area with an ice pack. I guess I will have to freeze off this itch nightly. But seriously, isnt there any other way to help this? It only happens at night when I need to go to sleep. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I only had my surgury 8 days ago and am very ichy at my incisions site and around belly button. I hope after a few weeks it will not last. The thought of living with this forever would be scary. So far these 8 days have not been good for me at all. After day 4 I can't take pain meds because of severe constipation. I also can't sleep longer than a couple hours or so then I am wide awake and need to get up and move a bit before I try and sleep again. It makes me feel so tired all the time. I hope this is a temporary problem. ANyone else having sleeping issues and does everyone stay ichy. Maybe it's too soon to expect to fell any normal feeling. I can't imagine these what hell it would feel like to have body lifts.
I am 11 days post-op from a tummy tuck with lipo. My doctor gave me Lunesta to sleep for 10 days. It really worked. Left a horrible metallic taste in my mouth, but I slept very well. I have a deep itch sometimes but nothing like the above comments. I have a very hard spot above my abdominal muscles just below my breasts. I don't know if it's some kind of tie he used to hold my muscles together after he tightned them or what. I had a pain pump close so maybe it's from that. I was searching for what that could be & it led me here. I know these comments are from over a year ago, but I was wondering how everyone is doing now. It would be nice to hear an update on everyone.. :)
I had WLS 7 years ago and two circumferential body lifts to get rid of all of the excess skin. My itching takes place occassionally but when I have it, I am in tears because I can not reach the itch. It's SO deep inside! I use my fist to bang on my side (that's where the most severe itching occurs). I find that the banging seems to vibrate the itch a bit and gives me a small amount of relief. It truly IS maddening! I'm sorry you have this problem as well. I thought I was alone but it's nice to know I'm not CRAZY!
I found hat lotions or ointments like Ben Gay (something with pain medicine in it)helps somewhat. Mosty, there is just an underlying sensation of feeling itchy all the time.
I've had a lot of itching too, along the TT scar and the liposuction scars, but it doesn't sound like it compares to yours. Motrin helps mine. I'm wondering if taking Cymbalta or Lyrica would help. They're both given for Fibromyalgia and diabetic neuropathy pain.
Hi itchy! I'm so sorry to hear of your complication following your tummy tuck. I too have had a complication from mine which was done 19 months ago. Instead of itching mine is INTENSE burning. It is in my lower tummy. It bagan almost immediately following the surgery, and my surgeon basically dismissed any complaints, even saying that he'd never had anyone complain of this. I went to another surgeon in another town and to a pain management doctor in my town. I even went to Clevelend Clinic to a world renowned doctor who tried a nerve block. It gave me 5 days relief. It is nerve damage, which is what you have I'm sure. I have to take 2 lortabs a day for the pain, have tried neurontin, lyrica, elevil, and am on keppra now and they have horrible sidee effects. Have you seen any specialists about your problem?
Sorry it took so long to respond to this I didn't see it. No, I have no been to a specialist. The coupl of doctors I did mention it to were kind of nonchalant and didn't know what to tell me. I have just been dealing with it. It's worse sometims more than others.
From one itchy person to another...I'm suffering too! I know how you feel. I had a tummy tuck and feathering liposuction on the flanks 2wks and 5 days ago. About 9 days post op I started to feel itchy around my tummy and back. I'd scratch it and make it feel more itchy. Well It's only gotten worse for me. Today I have rashes where I itch and it seems to be traveling up towards my breasts and under my neck. I've tried to do some reasearch online about itchy/rashes after surgery and it's hard to narrow it down. I'm trying to self treat with Benadryl and Hydrocortisone. Both are temporarily reliefs. I surmise that my condition is among the following: 1. Allergic reaction to the Compression Binder (which my husband has washed with Tide). 2. Reaction to influx of medicine in my body. 3. Reaction to the cessation of Medicine use 4. Stress 5. Yeast Infection 6. Or just side effects of surgery. I'm itchy right now and sleepy. Hope this helps just knowing you're not suffering alone.
I am now almost 4 months past my tummy tuck and thank God the iching stopped after a few weeks. After reading some of the reviews that it is still iching after 3 years I was scared. The iching passed by 3 months and I am sleeping so much better. I still feel numb around the belly button but I am still healing. My biggest complaint is a crooked scar. The doctor said my skin moved as it pulled up from my pubic area. Because I am 50 my pubic area was loose skin and it pulled up on the scar but I am still happy. Would I do it again? at first I would of said no but it's funny how you forget after time passes about what you dealt with. The pain was hard and the iching was terrible but it's all forgotten so I would probably do over.