Does Voluma Last? - Tempe, AZ

I have been using Juvederm for years and decided...

I have been using Juvederm for years and decided to try Voluma because of its supposed superior lifting ability and long lasting benefits. I was injected with 2cc of filler early January. After the initial swelling went down the result was less dramatic than expected so I returned 30 days later for 1cc of Juvederm Ultra Plus and a touch up on the Volume. The Juvederm Ultra Plus is more hydrophilic than the Volume so it actually looks better post treatment as the body pulls water to the treated area. Its a bit early to say for sure, but the Voluma appears to not retain much volume at all. Is there anyone else who has experienced the same?

Any updates on Voluma? Discussed it with doctor at my consult today, she said she doesn't inject patients until volunteers (staff) have it long enough to dissapate, so she knows how long it lasts. This doc sounds like a keeper :)
My post is in regards to Voluma in the cheek area, not regular Juvederm.
Yes. I haven't tried straight Juvederm on my cheek area. I had one full syringe injected in each cheek. At first it looked great, then 2 weeks later it was almost gone, so I went back and had another syringe injected: half on one side and half on the other. That was the firs week in April, 2014. Here it is June 13, and honestly, it's almost all gone too. Very disappointed at having spend all that money.
I am 38 yrs old and had voluma on May 19th as a filler to address the bags under my eyes... I was immediately amazed by the results and could not stop looking in the mirror! The next day, I was still over joyed with the results. Day two after my injection, I woke to discover the slight swelling I had is healing and I can see what appears to be minor looking bags start to reappear. Thinking it was only in my mind, I asked my husband and he confirmed the bags were still apparent. I will give it 7-10 days post injector to settle but plan to go back for correction. I paid $400 for the Dr to inject in Tempe, AZ. I thought going to a Dr verses RN or certified tech was worth the cost... I am experiencing a bit of itching at the injection site... I will give an update as the voluma continues to settle... Wish me luck!
Cyn, any updates? Thanks!
Oh, I forgot to mention that my post is regarding Voluma.
Unfortunately, yes. I had 2 syringes (one on each side) injected into my sagging cheeks. At first I was "Wowed" with the result. Two weeks later, I noticed it was starting to dissipate, so I went back for another syringe (half on one side, half on the other) and now 3 weeks out, it's starting to dissipate again. It's worrisome to me that I spent $1,950.00 just to be disappointed.
The same happened to me! I spent 1300 and my saggy skin still there. Did not get the volume in the checks I was expecting. And the nl folds are still there too. I don't know if I should go back for more or switched to radiesse... This is my first experience with fillers.. To expensive for no good results :(
It really could be the injector. Makes all the difference in the world. Truly.
I would make an appointment so the doctor can take a look and maybe he/she can explain why it didn't work as expected. I would really appreciate knowing how often this happens. I've noticed that the people who post positive results, do so immediately afterward. It would be beneficial to all of us if they would post a couple of months later if they are still happy with the results, or have been disappointed.
I've been considering that as well. The lady who did mine is a nurse, not a doctor. I would hope she has been trained in the proper technique, but until now, it didn't occur to me to ask.
No my doctor doesn't do the eight point lift, but he is one of the best and most experienced injectors in the Phoenix area.... he is the one the reps from Allergan (the manufacturer of Juvederm Voluma) go to for their injections! Yeah , he is that good. And honestly the most important part of injections, other than aesthetic placement is safety. People aren't aware that improper injection can result in an occlusion or compression of a blood vessel in the face and can result in tissue necrosis if not immediately corrected. Does your doctor have the hyaluronadaise on hand to inject if this happens? Does he or she know how to manage an occlusion or compression? Its something I fear each time I get an injection but I know my doc knows how to fix it if it happens. The eight point technique sounds like just a marketing strategy to me. The reality is that regardless of placement of the product it will be metabolized by the body at the same rate. Radiesse for example is made to help your body generate its own collagen (vs hyaluronic acid fillers that just volumize) and yet Radiesse is metabolized by the body almost as fast as HA. The eight point lift may look prettier than a few syringes dumped in critical areas but I doubt it will last longer. Product will metabolize no matter where it is placed. As for an update on my filler, its too early for me to tell if the Voluma in my cheeks will be long lasting, but the touch up under my right eye did not hold. 60 days after the bolus the doctor injected it was already flat again. I went back and purchased another syringe of Voluma yesterday for injection to fix the flat spot but also to inject deep under eyes upper cheeks to correct under eye hollows. The doc said that if this does not hold he will give me another syringe free. He said that since Voluma is new we are still figuring out how it works in the body. The scaffolding of Radiesse is fantastic, it hardens and stays exactly where you put it, but doesn't last long enough. Voluma quite possibly needs to be layered upon itself to create the same kind of scaffolding effect, but once done will last longer, at least that is what we are hoping. Lol isn't aging fun?? As expensive as this all is I feel lucky that we even have the option vs women 25 years ago who only had the option of surgery or dangerous collagen injections.
Hi there, thanks for the info. I hope you at least Google Dr. Mauricio de Maio before you disregard his technique. The Eight Point Lift or Approach is ardly a marketing strategy. Lol. He actually works directly with Allergan and they "provided him with a platform to educate other physicians on his treatment approaches..." Dr. de Maio also found the ideal product for his treatment approach in Allergan's Juvederm injectable hyaluronic acid (HA). He pioneered the use of Juvederm for facial rejuvenation, achieving natural results through volume restoration. He is now leading a series of masterclass workshops sponsored by Allegan on the use of their new range of dermal fillers powered by Juvederm Vycross technology." As you can see, this is most definitely not a marketing strategy. My injector was recently handpicked to be included among just 30 injectors nationwide and has completed the advanced master class. Regardless, you're correct the filler will last only as long as it lasts, regardless of placement. The placement is critical as far as achieving the results one is looking for, not that it would affect its longevity. The other reason for this technique is to get the most "bang for your buck". Placing Voluma in these critical eight points on the face where aging shows the most allows the injector to use fewer syringes as its placed where needed the most. It truly is an art form. And yes, my injector is highly skilled in the use of Botox, fillers, lasers, etc. and it fully equipped to handle any such issues, but that's a good point to bring up.
Actually I had already googled it before, still not impressed. To be honest, any injector out there who need to be trained in the "eight points of aging" on the face is probably not a very good injector. I can identify the eight points myself without training, and I'm not an injector! Very few people do multiple syringe injections (I'm talking more than 2), and fewer still go back to the doctors office more than once or twice a year. Since our faces lose the equivalent of 5cc's of volume each year in bone, muscle and fat loss, a person really needs at least 5 syringes per year just to keep up, despite placement! And as for Allergan working alongside anyone, being someone in the business myself, Allergan will "work" in helping promote anyone who is going to help them sell more product. Branding a treatment or technique is just another way to spark market interest. Good results come not only from technique but also the artistic eye of the injector, because its a bit like sculpting the face. Main thing is for people to find someone they trust, who's skill level is proven in their Allergan injector status (platinum status only for me). After safety and skill its just a matter of you finding someone who has the eye and the vision to get you the look you want. Mine has done that consistently for me for 5 years. Not only have I not aged but people tell me constantly that I look younger than I did 10 years ago. :-)
Well, you're definitely wrong about both the technique and Dr. de Maio. But hey, we're all entitled to have an opinion.
I am in the Phoenix area, can you call me at 623-234-8350 and let me know who your Dr is so I can try it also, thanks, Heather
Hi, who is the surgeon that you recommend in Phoenix? Did the injection under the eyes work? Some docs say we should only get restylane there because the skin is thin. I had 2 ml of voluma and prob need 1 to 2 more.
Hi there. I just wanted to ask if you know if your injector was trained in the Eight Point Lift? It's a course offered by Dr. de Maio. I'm wondering as he's supposedly developed a method of injecting small amounts at various specific points in the face to maximize the volume without using lots of syringes to achieve the lifting and volumizing effect. I'll be doing this procedure next month by an injector in Scottsdale and hope to have good results. Please update when you get a chance? Thanks!
Bump.