Great Traditional Braces Experience at Age 53 - Tempe, AZ

I had a gap between my lower front teeth that...

I had a gap between my lower front teeth that really showed when I talked. I also had written a cookbook of tender foods for braces-wearers and was on TV a lot, so I figured I needed to do something.

My teeth moderately ached the first few days after each adjustment, but I used salt-water rinses and took ibuprofen. Flossing was definitely a bother, no matter what type of flossing aid I used, but it was worth it to have no cavities or other problems during or after treatment.

Everything else went well. I'm no longer self-conscious about the gap, I love the results, and my mild TMJ even went away so that I no longer have to wear a night splint, just my retainers (which I will gladly wear forever).

The only thing I would do differently was to have realized how much I react to latex: I knew I had some allergic reactions but thought I could have fun with the colored ligatures. Within 48 hours of getting my braces on, my whole mouth swelled up. I had to have all the ligatures changed to clear vinyl, and take antihistamines. After that, all was well. Both ligatures and the elastics that connect hooks come in vinyl.

Thomas Tipton

He was recommended to us for our three children, whose teeth all turned out beautifully. I really liked our treatment over the course of seven years, and his staff are all very competent and friendly.

I like to see older people realizing they are worthy of braces at any age. Nice teeth are noticed.
"Nice teeth" got the highest rating of things that men and women notice about the opposite sex, per this article. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/top-qualities-single-men-and-women-seek-in-the-opposite-sex/ Pretty eye-opening!
I believe it. Not only do men and women notice this, but employers too. I once worked at a place that hung a sign that said "If you have bad hygenie or teeth, don't apply here." OMG, that's hurtful but true.

Wow, I definitely thought it would have been taken into consideration, but I  thought it would have been on pretty level ground with hair. Oh well, at least grammar rated high to, err too rather. ;)

Oh my gosh - you must be really sensitive to latex. So sorry to hear what happened with that, but glad it was resolved!

What spurred you to write a cookbook for people with braces before you had braces? Did you have children in braces that you were cooking for?

Yes! All three of our girls had braces. The first two only needed 18 months' treatment; the youngest needed a tongue crib, then an expander, then tons of elastics, and finally temporary anchor devices (TADs) with more elastics. The process took 6 years; after three years, one day she said, I want a caramel apple. I said no, but she didn't like that answer. So, she went off, peeled, cored and sliced an apple, then put caramel ice-cream topping in a small bowl, and showed me how she could dip the apple slices. She said, It tastes just like a caramel apple, but it won't hurt my braces. I said, What a great idea, and she replied, There should be a whole cookbook of ideas like that. So, we spent a year on research and development fo soft/tender foods, found no one else had done it, and published The Braces Cookbook. Having my own braces three years later convinced me to write The Braces Cookbook 2 of mostly main meals for adults in braces; I had the great luck to make the acquaintance of a professional chef who helped put "gourmet touches" on my basic ideas. Who knew what all those trips to the orthodontist would inspire?