Is It Worth It? NO! NO!! NO!!! - Los Angeles, CA

Had really great skin before the peel which I got...

Had really great skin before the peel which I got compliments on all the time. Decided to treat myself to a peel because I'm turning 40 soon and had a baby last year. Well, had a HORRIBLE reaction to this peel. 7 days after developed dermatitus and had an itchy rash all over my face. I wanted to rip my face off it was so bad. I've since spent hundreds of dollars at dermatologist to help me clear up the bright red blotches and breakouts all over my face. Yep, this peel gave me acne. I've done all sorts of glycolic peels, microdermabrasion, etc with excellent results. Not this one. Still recovering and depressed about the whole thing. It was administered by a well known plastic surgeon - I didn't do it myself. It was a TCA 30%. If you want to take the chance then good luck! I wish I'd never, ever messed with it! So mad!

Picture added below.

Picture added below.

Your problem, perhaps, was going to a plastic surgeon for this. I've done this peel to myself about ten times and it's never been a big deal at all. Personally, I wouldn't let a doctor come near my face with acid. And especially not a knife!
Good for you.
Yep.
Wow, this looks so much like my skin does when not looked at up close. I had a facial done with glycolic peel but I already had strange pink skin blotched problems on my face before then, although I'm not sure if I had the hundreds of bumps on face that I do now which I think you seem to have too that you refer to as "acne." Did you ever find a way to resolve your skin issues? What has worked for you? I would appreciate hearing from you!
I had an obagi blue peel w/added tca of which the doctor said was more of a medium peel.....on April 24, 2012. I have since spoken to Obagi and they told me that they only have one peel (20%), not with added tca. I now have a red scar on my right cheek bone that goes over to my lower temple hair line.. Itchy raised shiny skin on the side of my right nostril. Above each side of my jawbone I have red round spots that look like a honey cone. Forehead has red spots and my whole forehead feels like it has
a suede feeling, and left cheek has a good size red spot and I also have individual red spots on different areas of my face. After the Peel I swelled for a day or two then I got Weepy (puss areas) exactly where I have the Major Red Spots including where the scar is on my right cheek bone. My Plastic Surgeon did this peel. I was told originally that it would take 5 to 7 days to peel. I never really peeled that much. My skin was moreso, just basically raw in several areas. Now I'm being told that it will take time. Well, I really do believe that 2 months is PLENTY time, and I'm still very spotted and red. I will never
get another Peel. At this point and time, all I can do is try to cover all the MARKS UP with make-up. Not what I had planned on doing after a Peel at all. Doctor's not giving me any hope other than saying it will take time. It's had time and my skin is not looking good. Makes me SICK. Not sure what I am going to do from here......?? Sorry to hear that you also had a less than acceptable outcome also.

Sorry to hear about your reaction to the peel....hope you are doing better?...please do keep us posted....

What is meant by several layers?
Does this mean you applied the TCA solution twice, right after (a few seconds after frosting) the first application?

Hey. Myself and my sister both decided to do a HOME TCA peel had exactly the same reaction - 30%.
I did mine at the same time but used a 12.5% and applied several layers. We had both used many glycolic, Salicyclic, lactic peels in the past but decided to try this one.
Over the next few days my sister developed dermatitus and still had problems sorting her skin out for a long time after. she ended up sorting it by not washing it with anything but WARM water once a day for 2weeks. Then using baby products and non comedogenic suncream. I on the other hand had no problems at all. For 10days after i did the peel all i put on my face was savlon cream and baby shampoo to clean my face once a day. My sisters doctor said her problem arose from using a peel that was too strong- you have to slowly work your way through the different acid strengths slowly so your skin has time to adjust. I really hope your skin sorted itself out.

I have had a form of acne trigger after a peel (perioral dermatitis). It was treated effectively with an antiobiotic (in case you are still struggling with it).

oh wow, didn't realize you could trigger acne with a TCA peel.  hope you recover *before* your birthday.

Thanks Tom.
btw, I think the acne is from all the products I have to use now. Cloderm and Finacea and the spf60. My skin is just freaking out. :(