Fat Transfer: Anxious but Scarred Someone HELP! - Tarrytown, NY

Hello Everyone, Im Jay. I am 23 years old, 4' 9"...

Hello Everyone,

Im Jay. I am 23 years old, 4' 9" and 126 pounds. I came across this site when researching about my current chosen doctor, Dr. C Andrew Salzburg to do my fat transfer to the breast from the abdomen procedure. I wanted to know all there is to know about the journey of fat transfer. What I am most scared about is the results lasting. Other questions: Has anyone on real self done a procedure with this doctor or know of anyone who has? About how long is the recovery process? Is there a specific compression garment that is worn after the procedure? Is there any creams of things I can do to help speed up the recovery process or help reduce scars? About how many cc's does it take to move up a breast cup? Lastly, I had a c-section about 2 years ago, I do have stretch marks but my skin does not seem to sag with my current fat on my stomach, however, once Dr. Salzburg removes the fat from my stomach will my stomach automatically become saggy and if so is there anything I can do (besides another procedure) to prevent that from happening and will the stretch marks become less or more noticeable? If there is anything else that you can answer that you think might be helpful please please do! I will be grateful for ANY advice. By The Way, I have not had my consultation yet, it will be the 27th of August.

Updates

Hello Everyone. Sorry for taking so long to write a second review things have been hectic in terms of getting back into the grind of school and work however, I am still as excited about receiving the procedure as I was before. I actually was able to meet with Dr. Salzberg was a bit disappointed that it was only for a short period of time and the rest of the time I met with his Physician Assistant and Patient Consultant. Though they were very pleasant I still would have liked to talk to him more about my options and get a professional, in the fields, advice. He briefly relayed to me that I am a good candidate for the fat transfer if I use implants BUT I am totally against to placing unfamiliar objects in my body, my husband feels the same, he prefers as natural as possible which is understandable. So his next suggestion was doing a breast lift which would increase my cost by more than half and my healing time which I am not comfortable with. His consultant then suggested a nipple repositioning whereby after the fat transfer Salzberg would remove my nipple from the lower position and place it higher to look as if my breast are more raised/ lifted than they really are. I have been looking up nipple repositioning and haven't found much on it however I am a bit sold by the idea. If anyone can give me any feedback on how you think it will go? Whether or not I should do it or consider something else, I would really like to know? Also are there any before and after pictures of this because I have yet to see it online other than what I saw in his office? Honestly I thought that my breast would fill out just fine with the fat transfer but I am assuming the doctor knows better than I. He said with the weight of the new fat my breast are likely to drop more. Has anyone else experienced more of a droop after your transfer? Still waiting to hear from anyone who has done any procedures with Dr. Salzberg. Lastly, almost forgot, I am scheduled to do my surgery on September 13th am actually considering pushing it back one month just in case the healing with the nipple is more difficult than planned. Before then I am suppose to meet with the doctor again and his staff. I am hoping he wont disappear again like last time. Wish me the best!!! Until next time Real Self.

Second and Third Opinion

Hi All! I was able to get the second and even a third opinion and they all seem to say the same thing that I am a good candidate for the fat transfer. When I asked about the nipple placement they also said that it will be beneficial because it gives me a mini lift, nothing major that will delay my recovery but at the same time give my nipples more of a perky look. The only difference is that Dr. Salzberg is offering to do the nipple placement with no extra charge. I was totally sold on the fat grafting but I saw just recently of a lady who ended up not keeping any of her fat and the procedure leaving her with lumpy breast... what is that about? Has that happened to anyone else? This question is specifically for amelia girl and colleen3000... how long has it been since your fat transfer? AND when I asked my doctor about after pictures that date 3 months post surgery I was told most of the patients, because they are happy with their results, choose not to come in for a followup exam so they are unable to take pictures after that time. Is this believable?
So now that I have seen other doctors I feel a lot more comfortable with using Dr. Salzberg. Are there any other suggestions anyone can give me before receiving my surgery? By the way I changed my date to early December. I have been looking on youtube for videos -- recovery, progress, best diet regimen, creams to lessen scars and speed up recovery, etc.. have yet to find anything but I am overly excited.
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

So far, Im not sure.

I would be concerned about a doctor that says he can't show you post op pictures post 3 months. You're essentially going off faith but honestly go with your gut. If you have any reservations don't ignore them because you want this procedure so badly. In researching I learned there are tons of stories out there for women that didn't keep the fat. Technique is everything and so I personally feel an experienced dr makes all the difference. I'm 5 months out now and I'm still retaining well. My breasts ate now a smaller D/ full C.
Hi there, Bella is a gal on this forum who has had the awful experience of bad plastic surgery.  Her doctor was a gyn not a ps.  He has alot of bad reviews.  I know Colleen has said she has 1 lump, she can confirm when she answers.  I do not have any breast lumps. however, my liposuction is not perfect.  I feel the doctor made my hips too small (and my husband agrees).  Now, that it is almost 6 mths (on 10-11), I can also see one area of the hip that is a little caved in from her taking out too much fat.  I also have some lipo marks on the back of my legs and it looks to me like she took more fat out of the back of one leg then the other.  I am very happy with the breasts.  Overall, I still feel that I look way better than I did before the surgery, but I do not feel the lipo results are perfect.  I have considered doing a touch up with another doctor but I may be too scared & overall it looks pretty good so I do not think it is worth the risk.  My doctor did have 3 mth post op pics so I am not sure if that sounds right.  One thing I would have done if I were to do it again, is to have had just a little fat taken from all over instead of a couple of areas.  I hope that answers your questions.  I think in the right hands, you can have really great results.  I do plan to post a 6 mth post op review in the next week or so. Amelia
In my opinion your nipples look just fine where they are, even a little perky youthful placement on breasts. I think you should get a second opinion also. If you want fat grafting for breasts the more education, precision, and experience your doctor has the better for you. I had implants removed, and fat transfer done in same procedure. No lift necessary. Implants never feel like real breasts. For me fat grafting has been very good.
Can you get a 2nd opinion or do you have to use Dr. Salzberg as your doctor?  You do not sound overly comfortable with him.  More than one consult is always wise as you would be very surprised as to how plastic surgeons will give you different opinions.  You would think that it should be the same approach based on the same body but it often is not.
When I met him I was comfortable with him as a physician just not the advice he gave because I know what I want. So I guess that is oxymoron. I have been looking into other places, I do not have to use him I just wanted to based on his obsession with perfection. I have yet to find someone close and I didn't want to travel too far being that my family has no idea besides the hubby. But I am still looking because at the end of the day I need to feel comfortable, this is my body :). In a before post you spoke about liposuction lasting based on a better diet. What kind of diet has worked for you? The coordinator suggested I keep my same diet because if I change I may loose weight which will impact the size of my breast after the transfer? Do you find it is easier to pack on weight in the abdomen after the transfer? And to answer your previous question I'm actually between an large A and small B cup.
I agree wholeheartedly with Amelia and that you should get a second opinion. His recommendation of nipple repositioning for fat transfer doesn't sound common. If you look at my before and afters you'll see the transfer gave me a lift rather than what your doc said of creating more sag. It sounds like he's not confident he can give you the results you want with fat transfer. I know it may be a hassle to travel to a doctor farther l away but think about the hassle of spending all this money on the procedure and ending up with less than desirable results. You should use someone that's done this hundreds of times and can show you pictures of results they've done that look like what you want to achieve.
Well said Colleen.  I really believe wholeheartedly that there are some doctors that are not comfortable in their ability to do a well done FT to the breasts so they try to convince women to do implants b/c they lack ability.  I hate to say it but my facial plastic surgeon even told me that doctors will often "sell" what they are comfortable performing which is why you can get so many different opinions for the same issue you are trying to address.  For ex, I went about a sagging eyelid and I was given 3 totally different procedures that would be done to fix it when in reality there should be a "best method" to solve the problem that falls within what I as the customer am willing to do.  Same with the breasts.  I also agree 100% that my FT to the breasts gave me a big "lift" effect.  I am 47 and had sagging breasts and they stand up ALOT more now. Hope we are being helpful for you & good luck!!
Amelia, I agree that not many doctors are comfortable or very experienced in fat transfer to breasts. Much easier results with implants, which most surgeons have done thousands of times.
Hi there! You have a lot of good questions but may be jumping ahead a bit. The first step is to determine if your a good candidate for fat transfer and its not so much about can the doctor do it but what type of results are you looking for and can it be achieved with this type of procedure. From your pics you appear to have a nice size with just minimal sag. They can take fat from your stomach and put it in the breast but you may not see a dramatic improvement and its likely any stretch marks around the belly will be more noticeable once the area is lipo'd. I noticed this around my hips but its not a big difference. It took me 4 weeks to start feeling somewhat normal and two months to really be able to do everything I was prior to surgery. My biggest advice is to go in with realistic expectations and be prepared to take it easy for at least two weeks post surgery. Also ask to see before and after pics at your consult and ask how long after surgery were the post pictures taken. It should be at least 3 months because much of the volume post surgery is swelling and fluids that go down during recovery. Good luck!
Thank you I really appreciate your honesty. I will update after my consultation Tuesday.
Hi Jay, Welcome to the forum.  Hopefully you will bring these questions to your appt to have your doctor give his answers.  I will answer them and hope that some of the other ladies chime in with their advice as well.  It may also be helpful for you to read other's stories to see what their experiences were like.  Recovery varies.  For me, I used pain meds for only 2 days, then switched to tylenol for a couple of days.  I did have alot of blood loss so I had to take iron since I developed anemia although that did not seem to be a common problem of other ladies.  There is not a set amount of cc's to go up a cup size.  What size are you now?  You seem to have nice full breasts now that look at least a C or D cup.  Yes, you will have a compression garment designed just for your stomach.  They will provide it to you after surgery.  It is possible that you could have some saggy skin from lipo.  Consult with your doctor about that.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Good luck!!  Amelia p.s.  As far as results lasting, it seems like our breast transfers are lasting, but the lipo results are dependent on you keeping a healthy diet post surgery.
hi im a size 36b i would like to go up 36e could it be done my legs are a size 16-18 how long hav u had ur breast done many thanx
Thank you so much. I.will update after my consultation Tuesday.
I haven't had the procedure doe yet. This is after pregnancy pictures. From what I had read many doctors won't transfer a plethora of fat at one time. They also say that fat transfer is usually best for candidates who want a fuller natural look not for a great size increase. I just want mine to be a full b or a c if possible which is a little increase and he has suggested implants because the results with transfer varies based on how well your body takes it. If your a smoker they definitely suggest against it.
So, are you getting implants instead? How many fat transfers to the breasts has this doctor done?
Hola!! Please do your homework and research great Doctors on RS. In Addition, There are lots of other options you can get done besides transfer to your breast. Make sure you seek all options that will work for you from easier recovery to your wish pictures... Good luck on Your Journey ;)
Hey Newbooty... thanks for the comment. I have and will.continue to do my research. I am excited for my consultation bc I believe it will help me figure out exactly what I need and where to go from there.