Vitalize Peel - So Far Very Impressed - Tampa, FL

I have been struggling with acne since my...

I have been struggling with acne since my mid-thirties and have tried everything from retinoid creams to microdermabrasion and glycolic peels with minimal improvement. I was about to sign on for three pro-fractional laser treatments when it occurred to me to try a series of stronger peels for less money and less downtime. I researched some of the TCA and other deep peels and opted for a less invasive peel. The way I figure it I am only 40 so there is plenty of time to get lasers and deep peels to stave off plastic surgery as a age.

I had the peel two days ago (Thursday am). It only took about a half hour. After my esthetician used alcohol to remove any trace of makeup or moisturizer she made three passes with the peel using a fan to keep the tingling to a minimum. I won't say it hurt but if that little fan had broken down...well let's just say it is a pretty unpleasant tingle but not painful and by the time they apply the last step (retonic acid) its little more than bothersome.

Afterwards your skin turns very yellow and looks greasy the rest of the day. She told me to moisturize constantly and reminded me not to pull off the peeling skin - told me that Friday would be a good "date night" but by Saturday the peeling would begin. Friday (as I was warned) I woke up and my skin looked great - tight pores and virtually no redness. Friday at dinner my chin started to peel. Have you ever given yourself one of those Freeman cucumber peeling masques? Well that's exactly what this is like - except its your skin shedding not a masque.

Today (Saturday) the peeling began in earnest after I washed my face with Cetaphil. It doesn't hurt at all and barely itches - there is no redness either. Its just annoying and I have to say I have caught myself pulling these thin layers of skin off my face all day. I But I can see what is underneath and I am really impressed. They recommend a series of three peels three weeks apart and I think this is going to give me the result I wanted without the expense of a laser. I am sold on this method.

Thelma at St. Lukes Cosmetic

Thelma is awesome! She answered all my questions and was patient and helpful the whole way through. The entire cosmetic group at St. Lukes are amazing ladies (Barbara is the nurse practitioner - Laurie is her assistant) - they take their time explaining procedures (I had a very long consult with them about the laser before I changed my mind - for now). They answer all your questions and are honest and clear about what to expect from the different treatments. I found them through my dermatologist and would highly recommend them to anyone!

Loved reading your review, as I am planning to do some peels this fall, and one of my primary concerns is acne. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you! How long did the peeling last?