Extra Strength Rogaine: Aged 5 Years in 2 Months, Even Though Hair Grew - Tacoma, WA

As a 25 year old female, one wouldn't think I...

As a 25 year old female, one wouldn't think I would be a typical candidate for Rogaine - and I wasn't. I visited a hair transplant surgeon because I had a bald spot on my scalp from hair being ripped out a few years back and because my hair had been receding due to hypothyroidism. He suggested that I first use Rogaine 5% foam to improve my condition before going ahead with a more invasive procedure. The first few weeks were fine, I had noticed my fine hairs thickening, and I knew that if I had stopped using Rogaine, the results would disappear. Hence, I continued. As weeks went by, I noticed my skin was increasingly sensitive and flaky. Ah, perhaps it is my moisturizer. So I changed to the best, yet skin remained dry and flaky. Then dryness under the eyes became quite noticeable - these quickly turned into dark hollows under the eyes in a matter of weeks. I had dedicatedly been using the Rogaine morning and night, and not until dandruff occurred in my switch from foam to liquid that I made the connection between the ailment of my skin and the Rogaine. After all, our skin is the largest organ
of our body.
After I had terminated its use, my skin has improved slightly - only the flakiness and sensitivity - but all else has remained. The dark circles under my eyes and a loss of elasticity. I choose not to show photos for privacy purposes.
On a good note, my hair has remained full where I had been putting the Rogaine. However, if anything, I would rather have balding hair than look 5-10 years older than my real age. Depending how the Rogaine is stored in my body, it could take months to years to restore to my former self. My fear is that it may be permanent or damaging.

Please, a note to women, read as many reviews and side effects as you can before starting this product. There is a reason why Rogaine states women should not use it; unfortunately they don't care to elaborate why.

The dark circles under my eyes are still there,...

The dark circles under my eyes are still there, and now nasolabial folds are starting to form. I look much better than I did at the peak of my use, however, I am certain I will never look like I did prior to the Rogaine, which is unfortunate.

The substance that makes Rogaine (minoxidil) was originally used for men to treat high blood pressure. One side effect of the usage was regrowth in hair, and so they developed it into a hair regrowth product. What I now realize is that I most likely developed severe hypotension from the Rogaine - which explains the pallor of my skin, lightheadedness, and the shallow breathing. Low blood pressure equals little blood being pumped to the veins or arteries, hence very little to the skin.

Before going on Rogaine, make sure you consult your general practitioner to check your blood pressure level. I'm surprised that Rogaine is not a prescription based product, and angered that they do not mention the risk of hypotension - overuse can generate serious health problems, and if not diagnosed in time, can cause permanent damage to the organs.

The under eye bags are now starting to get a...

The under eye bags are now starting to get a little bit better. The loss of elasticity of my skin (mostly due to pore enlargement from the hypotension) has not improved, however. I've been trying to keep my face as clean and hydrated as possible as not to exacerbate it.

I called Rogaine to report the side effects and push for them to add risk of hypotension on the label, in which they were extremely cordial. They will be reimbursing me for the $60 I had spent, which I appreciate.

Hopefully the label change will come through and no more women or men will understand that any adverse affects from the Rogaine could possibly be correlated to hypotension and nothing else.

*Oops, correction in last paragraph - meant to say...

*Oops, correction in last paragraph - meant to say "...and *more* women *and* men will understand..."

My face is still quite gaunt. A friend who had...

My face is still quite gaunt. A friend who had seen me only prior to my Rogaine use saw me for the first time today and was shocked at how "skinny" my face is right now. I'm eating a lot as well, which makes me wonder if the Rogaine contributed to facial fat atrophy. Posted are some pictures of before Rogaine, and during. I will post after pictures later.

Had told me there were no side effects he knew of, but I am kindly assuming he's worked with few women of my age let alone women. At the same time, this would surprise me, considering he has been in the practice for over 10 years. Update: I talked with the Doctor again and he made no apology whatsoever. Was very nonchalant about the whole thing. Quite disappointing.

Hello ! I´m writting you from Spain I hope you understand my poor English Juliabars, by this time , did skin damage improved for you? How is it going? I´m a 41 old woman, who nobody never thought I was my age when I said it. ( Before using Minox). I´ve been on Minox for 3 years. (I stopped 4 months ago) and switch to a natural remedy. My face definitely got an important Minoxidil damage.. I´ve always had lot of fat face, nice cheeks, full face. I have now a sunken face, with no cheeks, marked nasolabial wrinkles, shagging, puffed eyes, and I would say caursing features . I think I´ve lost more than a 50% fat from my face. I´ve got a completely spoiled skin, not alive , dry, but whith some milliums and black marks, big pores.... etc . Horrible. When I meet people who haven´t seen me in 2 or 3 years they look amazed and say " You´ve lost a lot of wheigth. But I´havent. I have 2 or 3 more kilograms than my ussual. I knew this was not a Normal proccesing aging. Yesterday and after 9 months of research ( when I firts realize the huge changes in my face) I magically found through internet " Than Minoxidil had the fault!. I´m completelly convinced now. Yes, Minoxidil inhibit collagen formation , and I vitro showed to kill collagen existent cells. Does anybody recovery with the past of the time? How long did it take? What it has been helpfull? Juliabars, many thanks for this contribution , and I wonder myself, by this time , did face damage improved ? How is it going? Eva
Sorry , I made a mess with the copy and paste!
I just started using Rogaine 5% 2 weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was my ears became red and swollen. A few days later my left eye was just about closed and itchy. Now my skin has broken out with hives or just incredibly itchy. Will this pass or should I try smaller doses?
You should cease to use the product and contact your physician.
Minoxidil Hair Growth Solution oil’s a good choice. Unlike olive oil or virgin coconut oil, it’s lightweight and non-greasy! But it helps make scalp and hair healthy (when your hair and scalp are both healthy, you won’t have to worry about hairfall) I’m using Minoxidil oil from Pro Naturals Hair repair system, and I tell you, it helped say goodbye to bad hair fall. It also helped me restore my hair back to its normal lustrous condition as it repairs and protects the cuticle layer. I’m so happyyyy with my hair now! :)
Impressive post lot of things to learn for . if some body want to get rid of baldness have a look on this very help full http://www.hairtransplantdubai.com/
I used Rogaine extra strength foam for 120 days. I began having symptoms at 3 weeks but continued using Rogaine. I'm a cattle rancher and my physician thought my symptoms were related to tick bites. So I went on a 3 week regimen of Doxycycline and had no improvement. By the time Rogaine came into the picture as a possible cause I no longer could use either of my thumbs, they were swollen to the size of baseballs. I lost 75% of the range of motion in my neck and my knees were so swollen I couldn't walk. I was living on 2400 mg of motrin a day to deal with the inflamation in my joints. I've been off Rogaine for 8 days now. My symptoms are still present but are fading slowly day by day. I would rather be bald than experience this gain.
Hi All. I used Regaine for 9 years and it subtley plumps up your skin, making it look fine, while it damages the DNA, collagen and elastin from the constant edema and by damaging how the collagen and elastin form. My face as left completely screwed! Thin, stretched, lifeless, non-robust and loose skin. It has taken me 4 years to find a solution. I tried it all, tretinoin, retinol and retinaldehyde I could not tolerate. Then I found Environ, AVST; retinyl palmitate and retinyl acetate; very gentle and basically your skin converts them to tretinoin, so it begins to heal the DNA damage and give you your natural skin tightness and thickness back. Drop me a message or call me on skype. Cape.Town.Pete. I can help you. The products are also not expensive. Do NOT do any kind of laser, peel or dermabrasion or irritant. They do not work and will cause more damage. If you already have done, do not worry, just contact me. You will begin to see obvious healing from 3 months! God bless.
Hey I Have Question In My Mind, I Read The Article On Ultrasonic Hair Therapy Is There Any Side Effect For This Therapy
Hello Julia, Did you ever got back your original skin? I am another victim & not seeing any improvement after 6 months after discontinuing minoxidil...almost in the verge of getting into depression
Hey Anvesha, Yes, I pretty much have my skin back to normal. A little sag, but it now at least is on par with my age. What is your skin care routine? One thing I'd do is start washing your face with green tea. Topically it can reduce inflammation, which is a huge effect of the rogaine. When I have time I'll post what I did to improve my skin.
Hello Julia, Have you got your original skin & complexion back? I am another victim. Its been 6 months that I stopped using minoxidil, but there is no improvement noticed so far on my face :( i am almost going under depression now
Phew! Thank God I'm not the only person on earth who is having these issues. Just so you have an idea, I'm 24, and have 11 siblings (7 of which are boys). 3 are balding, 2 aren't, and the last two aren't of age. I saw my brothers balding and started doing research on hair loss and prevention. Everything I read suggested that it would keep the hair you currently have but might not bring anything back. This brought me to propecia, which I took very irregularly, because I have a full head of hair ,and taking a pill every day wasn't the first thing on my mind. I stopped taking propecia because I was playing soccer in college and found out that it was a steroid of sorts and didn't want to fail a drug test. As soon as I left college I started taking propecia regularly, but the sexual side effects were too much for me to handle, so I stared taking a form of minoxidil, and have been ever since (about a year and a half) life in general has been a complete and utter blur since I've started using ;P But really, my overall quality of life has changed dramatically, and I know for a fact that minoxidil is the culprit. Besides the cosmetic side effects, it completely drains me of energy, I'm mentally foggy, extremely moody, and depressed easily. Physically I've lost muscle tone(which is also due to less energy, hence less activity), water retention in my face, stomach, hands, and breasts, plus dehydration which causes constipation. I am trying my best to just say, screw it, and stop applying, but am really terrified of loosing all the hair on my head. Really don't know where to go from here....
Chances are the propecia was actually the cause of the change in your quality of life. It can have major changes on your hormonal balance, especially on women since it was definitely not meant for them. But I would definitely stop taking the minoxidil as well. With anything you start using, it is critical that you do research on any negative side effects it may have. Minoxidil and any drug used to control high blood pressure tends to negatively affect the collagen for some unknown reason. With all that I have studied, I would highly recommend that you stay away from any type of topical or orally implemented drug for hair growth. By the time you will actually need it, science will be miles ahead of where it is now and could provide alternatives such as unnoticeable hair transplants. Good luck.
Hey julia! Did the wrinkles fade away or they lasted ?? I had the same prob :(
Hey Kkmm, My wrinkles have faded. It took a while to find the correct skin care routine via trial and error however. I'll post my specific routine when I have more time. In the mean time, you can tell me what you are doing and I'll let you know what you can do better. The key is to avoid any type of inflammation while your skin is healing.
Hey julia! Did the side effects last or they are reversible ??? Thanks
They have rogaine for women, it's in a purpleish box. Did you know about that? I wonder if the ingredients are the same. I'm sad now, I have Hypert. Too... This was my last resort :/
Julia any coments after a year. Is your skin healed from the damage of minoxidil, you pores? Thanks for sharing this.
Wow, I am sorry to hear all the problems people have had with Rogaine, I haven't noticed any problems except for my pours do look larger but i am a picker so i thought it was that. i had major hair loss after surgery and started using Rogaine liquid, it seems to have helped but I still shed a lot even after 8 months, but my hair is long. i had no idea Rogaine could cause all these problems,
hey I have been using rogain for 3 years, 0.5 ml per day, 5% , and the only side effect I have is a little tachycardia... when I did overdose (more than 2ml per day) I had more severe tachycardia - 120 heart rythem per minute... I have increased hair growth on the face hairs from rogain - and I plucked them. but I haven't seen side effect like you said.. wrinkles and etc..
I'm speaking from a male's perspective on my experience with Rogaine liquid and foam solutions. I also experienced the dark circles under my eyes and what seemed to be a dried out, older looking appearance in my skin while taking it (more so with the foam than with the liquid). It took me about 3-4 months to get rid of the circles. I experimented with different skincare products (Loreal facial scrubs and coenzyme Q10 seemed to have the best effect for me personally). As far as the facial aging goes, I will agree that that is the thing that freaked me out the most. But I'll say this much, I believe that it has more to do with short-term effects that deny nourishment and blood flow to the skin than anything else. I've been off of Rogaine for about 1 yr and 10 months and I can say in my experience, 1 year was the turning point for me in terms or significantly noticeable improvement of the side effects I suffered from Rogaine. I took Propecia as well and fortunately enough, none of those effects were permanent either, so you can rest assured I'm not some guy that just talking out of this ass....I've walked that plank before and I'm still here healthy again by the grace of God. I would say the best thing you can do is find a very good fitness routine (if you have one, find a new one to push yourself further) and switch to a healthy diet if you aren't already eating well. THOSE TWO THINGS ALONG WITH PAYING MORE ATTENTION TO FACIAL REVITALIZING CREAMS HELPED ME TO BRING MY SKIN BACK TO LIFE. I can say honestly that I look younger at 25 than I did at 22. *****One thought you might want to take into consideration, and this is a theory that I'm trying out myself as we speak, is gaining a moderate amount of fat weight through your diet gradually over the course of the next couple months. I work in a lab with adipose-derived stem cells (i.e. fat cells) and they possess a tremendous amount of proliferative and self-renewal capability in the body. People with more fat in their face (I don't mean obesity.....just a healthy amount) tend to have less wrinkles and age marks than those with smaller fat deposits around the eyes and cheeks. Maybe increasing your intake of protein and good fat along with a good workout routine as a counterbalance to more fat may aid your body in repairing your skin and the underlying connective tissue. All in all, these are the things that have worked for me and even when I felt I was assed out and nothing was gonna work, I stuck to it. Now 17 year old girls (and women my age) give me the "googly" puppy dog eyes and while it is very creepy for a 25 yr old to have to deal with haha, at least I know I don't look like Im in my 40's like I thought I did. You can do it too, just don't give up and you'll find what works for you.
Hi Julia! I've just recently used the 2% rogaine for about around a month or a little more, I was aware of the side effects I saw on the packaging but then I started getting like snow ball sized dandruff o___o... and I thought that wasn't very normal, so I was googling it to find out what's going on, only to stumblr upon people and blog posts about how wrinkles is an unmentioned side effect, and other scary ones that lots of people reported having, such as bloated/fatter/rounder face, really dark circles under eyes or heavy/inflamed eyebags and pores. But there were so many people on many forums that reported these side effects, but everyone would shut the people down, and downplay the side effects as aging or stress.. Anyways, so after I found out that wrinkles might be a possible side effect, I threw away the drug. But now I'm freaking out because I'm scared that I won't grow back the hair I started with before I used the drug. So I really need the information right now, because everyone I've found that quit this poison quickly got back on it after getting the "dread shed" from quitting it. I needed to find someone that quit the drug and didn't go back on it, so I wanted to ask you, since you quit using it I'm guessing you lost the hairs you ~gained~ on it, but is or did your natural hair return. Basically. Did your hair return to what it was before you used the drug after you quit it? I'm scared that the natural hair that fell out from the initial shed is gone forever and I can never grow it back to what it was before using the product a month ago. The drug says that once you stop using the product, you will lose the hair you gained from it. But in order for the product to grow it's artificial hairs, it had to make you lose your ~weak~ natural hairs first so that it could replace those with artificial hair. But after you quit, do you go back to baseline, aka what you started with or are you doomed to have thinner hair than you had starting out, forever? Please reply julia I really need your experience right now!
Lushh, Firstly, I'm glad you did your research and quit before anything too drastic happened to your face. I had used the rogaine for a small patch of hair that had been pulled out from power equipment when I was 14. I was using it for 2 months. Once I stopped using it, the hair didn't disappear or fall out rapidly. It took about 4 months (i.e. only now) - very incremental and hardly noticeable - for the patch to return to it's original state. Take a deep breath though, if the state of your hair previous to rogaine was drastic, I would think you have enough time to find other means of recovering your hair, whether it's through hair transplants or a-cell + prp injections (which is still an experimental procedure as of now). Trust me, if you read heyheyheykids' post, it's far better to save your collagen by stopping now than to damage it. If I could, I would pay 1 million dollars to get back to my younger skin. I would trade a bald head for nice skin any day. At least you can wear wigs or hats on your head. So to answer your question, yes, you do return to baseline but it takes about the same amount of time you had been on it or longer, for those hairs to stop growing again. And no, you don't get thinner hair - at least from what I've experienced. How bad is your hair thinning? If it's pretty bad, I would go get your thyroid checked, just a suggestion. Hope I answered your question, and let me know if you have anymore! - Julia
Oh my god FINALLY, thank you so much for the information Julia, I've been looking left and right for someone with experience like you, I'm lucky I used the weaker version and for only 1 month, but god I did notice that the skin on my scalp felt dead and "artificial" and my undereye area was really dark, but not only that but my face was really bloated and fat looking, I'm really thin, I eat very healthily, and I always sleep on schedule. But after I found all these other people going through the same things I was, I was like, NO, and dropped the rogaine faster than a hot potato. But then I scared myself going through all these forums and posts and only being able to find people freaking out about how much worse their hair was after quitting rogaine and THINKING it was permanently damaged, and then hopping right back on it, ugh. But before you replied I was able to find a formal study done on people that quit the rogaine, they had a MASSIVE decline and shed in hair after they stopped using it , but then by 6 months their hair was back to baseline along with people on the placebo and people that were untreated as well, made me so relieved. I feel like rogaine is really shoddy and didn't do much research themselves on their own product and it frustrates me I had to find answers from terrified and frantic USERS instead of the providers themselves. What's funny is the people on the placebo tricked themselves in believing they had a massive shed after they were told to stop using the product, which is why I feel like another reason people that quit rogaine go back on it without waiting it out and seeing if they get back to baseline, they lose the hair from their own minds making them believe they're experiencing the dread shed, and from all the stress of going through it and expecting it. Anyways I feel so much better in knowing I'll be able to grow back the hair I lose from the initial shed from using this drug, I just need to be patient, and a lot of things in life are always bad before they're good. Yeah I saw a lot of people refuting the whole minoxidil stops collagen from doing it's thing theory and saying stuff like "I'd rather look 50 when I'm 20 than have thin hair" and I was just like..................o.........k...........lol........... But yeah, I'm so lucky I found out in time, I'm such a paranoid worrywart, and I guess that paid off this time since I was able to quit this before it was too late. And for you, I suggest investing in antiaging products and possibly botox if it's that bad? Also, make sure to take Hair, Skin, & Nails vitamins/supplements, and clean your diet, drink 8 glasses of water a day, possibly start being more active! (you'll see your skin improving no matter what!)