Advice for the Pain! - Sydney, Australia

I just had my teeth whitened this morning using...

I just had my teeth whitened this morning using Zoom whitening and am very happy with the results.

Colour - went from mid range to best possible white (but not looking fake)

Time taken - 90 minutes including a clean and 4 x 15 minute sessions

Pain during the session - I had no pain for the first 2 x 15 minute sessions, but started to get the zings shortly into the 3rd session. I moved the light away when this happened and it went away, i probably had 5-6 zings during the whole procedure.

Pain after the session - the zings do continue BUT i have noticed what makes them happen. If you talk or open your mouth the zings will come back. If you keep your mouth shut (and i suspect your teeth wet with saliva) I don't get any zings. I had none for about 3 hours and then spoke to someone and got them straight away.

So the No. 1 advice of the day is to keep your mouth shut after the procedure and hopefully you are ok like me!!

Pyrmont Dental

my teeth hurt so much 8 hours post treatment with zoom system i wanted to rip them out of my head. dentist should provide patient with desensitizing solution before they leave the office. otherwise i would have gone over to the emergency room. it hurt that much. no kidding.
How long does it take for these 'zingers' to go away? Thanks!

From the reviews I have read it seems most people say the zingers dissipate within 24-48 hours.

There was a question posted in our Q&A section that has many dentists answers on what to expect from Zoom as far as sensitivity is concerned. Click here to see their answers.

I've just sent an update to Real Self to upload my before and after photos.

It's now over 24 hours since I had the whitening done and keeping your mouth shut is definitely the way to go. The only zingers I got at all were when i had opened my mouth. When i had dinner i noticed going from hot food to a cold drink caused it too. But seriously I can't believe how simple it was to combat it! (made for a peaceful evening at home too)

There hasn't been one zinger today, or last night while i was sleeping either. I just have a little sensitivity on the ends of my teeth, otherwise i'm back to 100%!

I have sensitive teeth (in general -- nothing to do with teeth whitening) so I'm definitely going to try keeping my mouth shut when it starts acting up again. Hopefully it'll help.

Great photos, btw! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the great advice! I'll definitely pass this along to others considering the treatment. Hope it works. :)

Do you have any photos of your results that you can share?