IPL for Acne - Sydney, Australia

My experience with this IPL was really a freaking...

My experience with this IPL was really a freaking out one! Went through a VERY TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE! I am A very busy professional..experiencing some mild adult acne and past scarring problems.. I visited a famous laser clinic in Sydney called ResultsLaser. Went for my consultation first and the lady said IPL would work with my skin tone(type IV)..I went on 18th Dec 10..asked plenty of questions before hand (but didnt go through this review unfortunately)..she said I can go back to my daily routine straight after the treatment, only need to apply SPF 30+ bla bla..

The treatment was v v painful! after the treatment I felt like my face was going to melt down..they put some icepack straight away then aloe vera gel...told me to wash my face continuously to get it cool down..that night was a sleepless night for me! When I woke up in the next day morning me and my hubby really freaked out!! My face was like I had a very bad chicken pox spots on my face...I rang the center and they said it is normal and will come off in day 2..but they second day(Monday) it was like chock cookies sticked on all over my face and I started crying..visited the centre..they also seemed to be freaked out! It was my last week of my work before Chrsitmas and I had to take days off from work..needed to cancel my important work meetings..my christmas shoppings and chritmas parties.. everything ruined out!! I was totally under stress emotionality and mentally! I contacted the health commission and they told me to wait few days and send a complaint form to take any actions against the clinic due to the act of an unexperienced staff. I had to hide from my family and friends during the chrismas so stayed in a hotel room during my important days!! In the 8th day the flakes alomost came off...but there was a pink marks left out for few days..almost 25 days now after ipl..I got more break outs in my skin..the pink marks became brown spots all over my face, like 2nd degree burn scars! my face full of new pimples..looks very ugly..no makeups cant hide those! the clinic sacked that staff member and offered me a free chemical peel to get rid of my scars.. I am really scarred now! I cant afford to take any more days off from work..I already read few reviews about the chemical peel and its side effects..it says i need at least 5 days to flake out the skin..but i have to do something to get rid of these bad conditions on my face! anyone got more info?

My suggestion is that if you have a olive skin(may be other type too), this IPL is not a good idea..not worthy...you need to research a lot..use a good clinic and experienced staff
I will post my before and after photos..

laser Clinic technician

pls read my review before doing an IPL and do not choose Results Laser clinic! will get REALLY BAD RESULTS!!

I agree. I don't think people should get IPL for acne. It's not a permanent skin discolouration, and shouldn't be zapped that way
I had IPL in Bristol, in the UK. Mine was just like yours - awful purpls marks that were gooey in the middle and took ages to dry out properly and scab. When they did, like you said: exactly like choc chip cookies stuck on the face. Dropped off after 3 weeks leaving red marks and deep holes. Red marks took months to fade to pink and a year later are still pinkish. Now have mottled complexion, cheek fat loss and facial numbness. The salon said it was an unusual reaction. Mmmmmmm DON'T DO IT, IT IS NOT WORTH IT.
I heard that Fraxel treatment might help for freckles and other uneven skin tone. IPL might work work very fare skin tone, but not my type!!! Currently I am doing a fortnightly special care facial with my nearest beauty clinic and good news is, it is improving my skin and acne is disappearing and scars are fading now! The lesson I learnt that before we do anything with major treatment offering instant results, dont just rely on it..first try with the traditional methods like facials, which wont harm your skin and if anything dont work only go to the next step like antibiotics and major treatments.

all the best for everything!

Regards,
Sydney
I learned the hard way that IPL does not cure acne! As for freckles, I too wanted them gone, gone, gone. Now, I would give anything to have my face back to the way it was before IPL.
All the best Kellstar!
IPL on your skin type is not recommended !! I was also told by my therapist that certain acne treatments / antibiotics should not be taken / used for at least one month prior to IPL as risk of bad reaction can occur (she gave me a list of medications that can not be used prior or after IPL) I am about to have IPL for freckles as I have three large freckles under my eye and freckels on my face, I hate freckles ! I am fair skin with strawberry blonde hair and freckles all over my body. I have had a test patch done, still waiting for it to crumble off.
Don't do any peels. My face is injured like yours. I also have the breakouts like you do. I have extreme fat loss after three ipl's. My skin is dead with horrible acne. I had minor acne when I went for the first treatment.
Thanks for posting some pictures. I get a good picture of what you've been talking about now. Your skin has a natural tan, which seems to me to be a risk for IPL if the pigment is left uneven.

I really think with your type of skin and acne a dermatologist is the best bet. They may put you on antibiotics for a while to calm down the breakouts.

Keep using a good daily sun block while the pigment evens itself out.
Thanks Lisa for your comments. I appreciate your advice.

Regards,
Sydney
Sydney, I don't think you should do any chemical peels right now. I know the desire to fix the damage is strong, but you could be causing more scarring and more problems because you are shocking your delicate skin. Skin was not meant to be unnaturally peeled and lasered, and it saddens me that so many of us have been hurt due to these methods. Your skin is likely inflammed right now. It needs time to calm down and heal.
I'm sorry to hear that. Apart from the IPL issue, I know acne is a real hard thing to deal with. Good luck.
Thanks for your enquiry..the things are not really working with me! after my chemical peel, I got more break outs and I went to other clinic for their opinion, and bought few products of 'Cosmedix'brand ..its helping to healing my acne..but scars are still there! I am also taking contraceptive pills and minomicine (antibiotics) for my acne based on my doctor's suggestion..after a month time I will do another chemical peel by the new clinic(using cosmedix products)... anyway everything started as a result of bloody IPL! I am so distressed!!
I think with any treatment it's going to look worse before it gets better. Certainly with pigmentation IPL the skin looks pretty bad until it heals up.
How is it now? Hopefully after your treatement things have settled down.
I am really confused! after the peel i got more break outs than usual and very embarrassing now to look at anyones face! the therapist says that it will be healed after the next peel...I am thinking to change my clinic for more experienced technician...any one heard about a product called Cosmedix?i am very upset...IPL ruined my face!!!
Sounds like a traumatic time, sorry to hear.

I have been going to that same clinic for 6 months now and the results have been great for me. However I have very pale skin, and went for pigmentation I can't comment on how it would be olive skin.

Dark spots after IPL is usually a great sign, ie that the IPL took to your skin. However in this case clearly the IPL went too deep.

It's unfortunate for you, and for that technician, as this sort of thing is very hard to judge, and seems to be fairly rare. It would have been better had they done a patch test on your arm first.
Thanks for your comments. its nice to hear that you had a nice experience with IPL..I just had done a BHA chemical peel 4 days ago to get rid of my acne and burning scars. first two days were not too bad..my skin look like very dry, tight and flakey in few places, especially around my mouth area..few flakes already came off..luckily I was off from work last 3 days and had a chance to just stay at home(without facing any one:))..but yesterday I noticed that I have new break outs on my face!especially on my cheeks.. very scared now dear! I am really waiting for a recovery from this face disaster...that lady ruined my face, this is too bad!! all the best for you and take care..
I don't really get how IPL is used for acne. Pigmentation and hair sure, it occurs in a fixed place, you zap it and hopefully it's gone. But acne flares up in different places, and heals by itself. It's also caused by overactive sebum glands, and I'm not aware of IPL targetting those.

I hope your peel goes well. From my experience with acne, some of it sits beneath the skin, and doesn't erupt. So even if you break out, possibly the peel will bring up some of the dormant acne, which will be a good thing.

Hi Sydney,

Welcome to the community. I'm so sorry they did not fully prepare you for how long the recovery is and what you should have expected. You might want to check out the answers from our doctors Q&A about IPL recovery. Please keep us updated and thanks for the review.

Thanks,

-Britt

Thanks Britt for your reply and the link to IPL recovery. For my my case, the spots were already flaked off within 9 days, but the brown scars are remaining underneath(like burning marks) and new break outs are appeared!scars look like permanent! The clinic says that they can completely get rid of these scars and acne by chemical peel...I am very scared now..would you have any reviews for BHA chemical peel..they are offering this peel next week..fingers crossed!

regards,
Thanks a lot Britt!

Cheers,
Sydney

Of course! Let us know how it turns out.

-Britt

Definitely will post my experience! I am bit nervous actually! talk to soon.

Cheers,