I have been battling melasma - Fraxel for Melasma - Switzerland

I have been battling melasma, which I think is...

I have been battling melasma, which I think is epidermal as it responds well to treatment, for 1.5 years now. It was brought on by taking Yasmin birth control pills, which I was on to clear minor acne. I have it on my forehead, cheeks and upper lip. Wonderful! I am often outside in the sun, and therefore, my melasma often returns.

I have had great success with IPL and Triluma, although Triluma causes broken capillaries with me and I only used it for 2 weeks. Meladerm did not work at all!

Below is a picture of my forehead before and after 2 Fraxel restore treatments, set on low (ie treatment level 7). I just had one more and think I will stop now after three. The pigment faded significantly and I can easily cover up the rest with makeup. I only did my forehead as I wanted to “test the laser” and will likely do the rest of my face. I have also stopped taking OC pills, so I hope this time it will not return. What does everyone think?

I am 40 with- my skin has great texture and no lines. I have suffered with melasma for over 20 years - sometimes it's lighter and sometimes darker. A year ago I tried IPL and it worked for a couple of months and then came back WORSE. I would never do it again. Please be very careful with the fraxel, you have very nice smooth textured skin in both pics. You're melasma is really not so bad - I'm a makeup artist and I think you could cover it quite easily if you wore sunscreen, concealer and pressed mineral foundation. I am experiencing good results with cosmelan. I did the mask myself on my forehead only. But I'm taking a very GENTLE approach - spot testing, using only minimal product for half the treatment time and monitoring results carefully. You have pretty skin, I hope your remain happy with your results, but I've come to realise it's about maintaining good internal health and less stress and using good sunblock!!
Laser Center Zurich