48 Years Old with Otherwise Good Features, Except the Chin Sag - Surry Hills, AU

I've been a bit bothered for 18 years, but over...

I've been a bit bothered for 18 years, but over the last 5 my face profile had developed a straight line from my jaw to my chest. I thought that it would require a neck lift by Dr Nair said that it was a fat issue, and that lipo would be very effective, the skin would snap right back.

After much delay I finally got vaser lipo on it. I bundled it with other problem areas (pecs and flanks) to make it worth the money. I only had local anaesthetic, which was fine, not painful at all on the chin. I think local is actually better if you can handle it so you can follow instructions, plus quicker recovery.

I have a chin pressure bandage to wear for 3 full days, and then 5 nights. It's not a hassle, just looks silly. But really I can go out for short bursts without it. I have no bruising, luckily.

After my day one shower I inspected the effects. Still a bit puffy and tight if I look upwards, but I'm very happy the curve I've got back in my profile so far. The surgeon removed about a full cup of fat from my chin. Even she was surprised how much came out.

I'm very positive about the results so far, and am surprised just how quick the recovery is. I'm sure I could've go back to work in 4 days if I needed to (though I took 1.5 weeks just to be safe).

How much time off do you need?

The minimum is 3 full days off work because you need to wear the pressure bandage all that time.

But at 4 days I still had a yellow discolouration on my neck and slight swelling around the incisions near the ears, so going back to work then would have been a stretch. I think for a guy, growing out facial hair would cover it. Fake tan or some other product might also help to cover it.

But in reality, 5 or 6 days would be best, also to allow for any extra bruising that can happen if the bandage is too tight in parts.

10 day update

I stopped using the pressure bandage at night 9. Though I'm still super happy, things are still settling down at times. When I ceased the anti inflammatory meds I noticed my chin was a little puffier than the week before. Have some minor lumpiness under the chin that's barely visible.

I'll post some final pictures when all the swelling and tingling has gone away as you can't really tell the final results until full healing occurs.

18 day post

Yesterday a friend said I've lost weight, he could see it in my face. Hmmm.
I've pretty much healed, just a little lumpiness if I stretch my neck looking up, and the skin is tight. This is actually good as I found the fat was causing my neck to crease a lot and the tightness is gradually ironing it out. I don't think the curve is going to get much more defined because of the adams apple in the way, but I'm happy with it.

3 months post

After three months all the knotting and tension under skin is pretty much gone. It was only visible if I stretched my neck upwards.

I've also noticed the horizontal creasing on my lower neck has reduced a lot (it occurred because of the fat deposits pulling down my neck skin) and after the lipo the skin was pulled and stretched back to the normal state, hence reducing the creases.

One slight negative is that the amount of fat taken out one side of my jaw is not totally mirrored by the other side, but it's only really noticeable to me. That's a real risk with lipo, that you get asymmetrical dissolving of the fat by the lipo fluid.

But at the end of the day, I'm 100% happy I got this done, and wished I'd done it sooner.
Dr Nair

Ashbrooke primarily focus on lipo and they do it all the time, so it was a good choice for me. They were also flexible with the booking times (I wanted the afternoon before the Easter holidays so I could recover longer). I'd recommend them to anyone.

You look Good!
Great story! So helpful. I think it looks great and well worth any discomfort and the cost!!
Thanks for sharing on RealSelf.  A cup worth of fat is pretty amazing, glad you are happy with your results so far.  Have you left the house yet, or are the bruises too obvious?
Thanks Jill. I'm really happy to have had this done. I thought about it for years but I never wanted to give up my holiday time for the work. I'm out and about now, which is great. Chin is super quick to repair compared to other body parts.
Yeah I'm sure it is a nice feeling to just finally have it over with!
Yes, especially as it's something you only need to do once, unlike so many other things. ie once the fat is gone, it doesn't come back (well I hope I'm right on that!)
I hope you are right too.  You've found a community here that totally gets what you mean :)

How is the bruising?  Feel ready to go to work next week?
The bruising was gone by day eight Jill81. I did notice a little puffiness when I stopped some of the meds. Will need a few weeks before I see the final results. Still very happy with the procedure, though I can appreciate that the success depends a lot on how elastic the skin is.