IPL Photo Facial: Wow - Sunset Beach, CA

I decided to have IPL done to improve the Melasma...

I decided to have IPL done to improve the Melasma and patches I had on my forehead, cheeks, chin and nose. I was informed that IPL isn't the "best" laser for this condition and it could actually cause it to become worse. Melasma doesn't like heat, so it could flair up with the laser. I decided to do it anyway because years ago I had 1 treatment and it did improve the area I was treating.

I believe in many cases several IPL treatments are needed to get the full result, however just 1 did the job for me. I think this is because the nurse must have used a higher setting? Not sure though.

I can tell you the procedure was uncomfortable, even with numbing cream. I was miserable for approx. 3 1/2 hrs after. I wasn't expecting the intense burning sensation I was having. I had to sit with a fan blowing on high right up close on my face. I also had to keep icing non-stop. Finally once the burning feeling subsided, I was fine....My face looked fried, but that's what I expected.

It took about 11 days for my face to completely peel, which I think is longer than normal. Prior to the procedure I had quite a tan face. I now have a pale more smooth face with no pigmentation patches.

The only complaint I have is that there was an area around my forehead that wasn't "hit," so I had this ring around my hairline that looked dirty or like I dyed my hair and it stained the area. I went back to the place I had this done and the nurse was kind enough to re-laser that area to even things out. You can only go so close to the hairline, so having this sort of color demarkation, may be par for the course....

I'm a couple of months out from having my IPL done...

I'm a couple of months out from having my IPL done. Thought I would let everyone know the hyper-pigmenation has now come back. I knew this was a possibility because my issue is hormone related more than it is sun damage. I did have a combination of both, but the more annoying problem stems from the large brown patches as a result of the pill. So, until I decide to no longer take it, I'm out of luck I think.. I am using prescription grade bleaching cream to try and keep the patches from getting worse, but I fear it's not winning!
Derm FX

Suzie was the RN who performed my laser procedure. I would request her if at all possible. She is the only person I trust!

Hi gypsy, I'm so ready to have ipl so im looking around but can you please tell me the name of the doctor/nurse who performed yours? Thank you!

what is the prescription grade fade cream
burned by laser during hair removal sessions

Hi Gipsy,

This is a good review, it provides the community with what to expect ie burning, longer healing time etc, which is good for them to know. Pictures would be cool if you have them.

Thank you, hope you have a great weekend!

-Britt