Sun Damage As a Side Effect to Micro-dermabrasion and Glycolic Peels?

I had a consulation with a nurse as I was...

I had a consulation with a nurse as I was concerned about forhead wrinkles and crows feet. I was recommended a 6 week course of micro-dermabrasion with glycolic facial peel.

I spent a couple of hours sitting in the sun in the garden a few weeks after my last micro-derm and glycolic peel. When I came in I had a large mottled brown patch of skin on both cheeks. I returned to the clinic I had the treatment who said it was hyper-pigmentation caused by the sun. I've googled micr-derm and realised that this can be a side effect. The clinic have sold me a furter 6 micro-derm and glycholic peel sessions to restore my skin colour. So far I've had 3 with little effect.

I wasn't made aware of potenial side effects.

I only ever had one treatment of microdermabrasion and still have extreme sensitivity to sun and pigmentation.I have tried to find something that can heal this reaction but have not been able to find anything. It has been 3 years since this treatment. If you have advice please leave a comment. Thank-you
A glycolic peel is a pretty serious treatment. The esthetician should have made a clear point that there are certain precautions that must be taken after the treatment. We must treat all clients as though they have not a clue. Most clients do not. They are not trained in our profession. No sun, use an spf all the time and you must moisturize a lot. We are dealing with fresh sensitive skin. Always use a licenced esthetician for these type of treatments. The dermatologist more than likely has an esthetician on staff with the same products on hand. Better safe than sorry.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. Can we assume that you are a esthetician?

Thanks,

-Britt

When getting any sort of chemical peel or microderm procedure you are getting rid of old skin. Yes the person administering these procedures should have told you to avoid sun exposure. However you should not have needed someone to tell you to protect yourself from the sun- you exposed fresh skin to the sun... really dumb idea. Besides if you really concerned with wrinkles why were you sitting in the sun without the proper spf? So dont give a bad review if your lapse of judgment caused you to have a bad experience.
Wow kind of harsh don't you think?
As she said she asked if there were any possible side effects on two occasions and was told the procedure was completly safe, and also living in england myself, you wouldnt expect a short time outside to give you hyper-pigmentation to such as a degree as she described. It's a review column so reviews and experiences can be freely given whether good or bad, i also disagree with your comment about her 'lapse of judgement' as her judgement was made on the advice given by a beautician who gets paid to do the procedure and tend not to advertise the downside of chemical peels.
Hi Summertime, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Every skin care professional should be up front about the fact that ANY treatment that removes the outer layer of your skin (peel or dermabrasion) will increase sensitivity to the sun, and should ALWAYS be followed with an SPF 30 or higher sunscreen. You may want to check out a phenomenal cream for hyperpigmentation called Lumixyl. It shows great results within 6 to 8 weeks, and you can get 1 ounce for about $120 US dollars. You should be able to get it online, or your dermatologist might offer it as well. I hope your recovery is going well. Best of luck!
I wasn't informed about any possible side effects. I asked about the risks and was told it was perfectly safe with no side effects! I was only in the garden for a short time, in the weak April sun in England - hardly sunburn weather. Had I been informed of the potential risk, I obviously would have taken the necessary precautions. It's the fact I asked, on two separate occassions, what the risks/possible side effects were and was lied to that I'm annoyed about. I have since had a private consultation with a dermatologist who recommended a course of 6 IPL laser sessions to rectify this. He said the results were not gauranteed, and it may only FADE the pigmentation. He also informed me that if I EVER exposed my skin to the sun again, it would return. So I guess I have learnt NEVER to take at face value what a beautician tells me, and to do thorough research about ANY procedure, no matter how "harmless" I am told it is by the beautician.
Sorry you had a bad experience, but every surgery should tell you not to sit in the sun after a peel. Cant blame the peel on that I'm afraid!