Lip Lift in Houston :) - Sugar Land, TX

I've researched lip lifts for the past 3 years and...

I've researched lip lifts for the past 3 years and consulted with doctors in Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Boston, and Houston. Each surgeon I talked to felt confident they could do it, but several of the surgeons would modify the underlying muscle in some way, or suggest fillers (Juvederm, etc) to go along with the lip lift procedure. I've done fillers and was tired of them. I didn't necessary want a 'poutier' upper lip, I just wanted more tooth show (I had zero tooth show) and I wanted my upper lip to be a little 'wider'...just increase the size vertically, not necessarily 3-dimensionally, if that makes sense.

I found Dr. Gary Horndeski on Realself and scheduled a consult with him. From the start, I liked him, mostly because he abhors fillers like Juvederm in the lips. His desire is to give long-lasting permanent results and fillers don't do that. He basically said "it's a waste of money and I don't like seeing my patients throw their money away when I could do something about it". I had a lip lift done last Friday (6/14) in Houston by Dr. Horndeski. He removed approx 2-3mm of skin. I actually wanted more, but he stressed that we needed to be conservative with this because it's easy to take more out, but impossible to put it back. I'd read all of the reviews (since I've been researching it for 3 years) and I was prepared for a long painful recovery, given the stories I'd seen.

Honestly, it was so easy! The worst part was the numbing injection. I'm not gonna lie: that was excruciating. After that was done, he and his nurse draped my face and did the procedure. I was wide awake the entire time and it took about 10 mins. Afterwards, I was given a prescription for antibiotics and painkillers. About 30mins after the procedure, the numbing started to wear off, so it became a little painful. I took my pain pill and antibiotic and went back home. It was uncomfortable for about 3-4 hours, then it was totally fine. I never needed another pain pill, I just managed with Tylenol. The next day, I was really puffy but I went out and ran errands and went to Whole Foods. It was fine!! (I'd heard horror stories about people who didn't leave their house for days or weeks after the lip lift procedure). I was out and shopping less than 24 hours afterwards.

The following 4 days, the swelling went down bit by bit. I had my stitches removed on Day 4 (Monday). I'm now on Day 6 and the incision is pale pink and hardly noticeable. I talked to Dr. Horndeski when I went back in for my suture removal and told him that I would wait a month or 2, but I may come back to have more skin removed. Right now, I have about 1mm tooth show and only at certain angles.. I was hoping for closer to 3-4mm tooth show, so he'd probably need to remove another 3mm of skin which he said was absolutely no problem. He's very conservative, but it's also because of the nature of the procedure: you can always take more, but you can't put it back, so he would prefer to take less, and have you come back for a little more to be excised than take too much and risk you being incredibly unhappy. I will tell you the worst part of the healing process that no one told me is that you can't blow your nose; and yawning and sneezing are a little uncomfortable as well (since your nostrils flare and when you're swollen, it's very sensitive). Again, nothing terrible and I would do it again (and am planning to) in a heartbeat! He charged me $2K for the procedure which was actually less than other surgeons I'd consulted with ($4K-8K), so I'm very very happy :) I'll post pics soon!

Progression pics update

I've posted pics of what my lips looked like before the procedure, The results I wanted to achieve (with the q-tip), and my results 9 days post op. As I said, I have a tiny amount of tooth show, but not as much as I'd like. He told me to wait approx 1 month because a lot can change between Week 1 and Week 3. I've also read reviews of disappointed women who had no tooth show at Week 1, then by Week 3, they have plenty, so I'm just being patient :) Hopefully I'll get a little more lift, but if not, I'll just go back for more skin to be excised.

12 days post op

Here's a better view of the tooth show. The pic I posted yesterday was taken early in the morning (so there's still more swelling in the morning from sleeping horizontally). This photo was taken this afternoon. I like the tooth show, but I want more. I really want the Q-tip result!

14 days post op with lipstick

Here's a photo taken at 2 weeks post op with lipliner/lipstick.
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Wow how kind of you to be so helpful with these details. Thank you.
Great results! I too am looking for a lip lift as well as a corner lift. Do you know if he does corner lifts as well? Does he charge for a consult?
Still waiting pretty lips ❤️
How is everything with u dear hope everything going nicly with u Waiting ur update
very nice result sister
So it's a good thing or a bad thing to get muscle hemming?
Barnaby, Hope all is well. Haven't heard from you in a while. Would you consider posting another photo now that some time has passed? I would love to see what your scar looks like now. Blessings.
I second that request!

Thank you for that article. Here is another take on rejuvenation of the mouth, plus this doctor has some amazing before and afters of the entire face on his website. Very interesting philosophy. http://faceliftdc.com/techniques/mouth/

Interesting info. Great before and after photos as well. Thanks for sharing.
Wow, quite fascinating, thanks for sharing. i had never heard of stomapexy before. position. Seems it reshapes the contour of the lips (upper and lower) by operating on the muscles that surround the mouth? There isn't much more information on stomapexy that I could dig up on the web, and it seems like there is just the one surgeon in Washington DC who performs it? Still, quite interesting. When I have my lip lift, I doubt even then I will get much tooth show. I think it's my anatomy. Still, I will be happy to excise some skin - my upper lip is 20 mm long (3/4 inch) from bottom of columella to Cupid's bow of my upper lip. Ugh! Dr. Niamtu's blog said that to really see much of a difference, you need 5-6 mm removed. Everyone is different I'm sure, but I've noticed some who seem dissatisfied with their LL results only had 3-4 mm removed. Still, people should understand going in that getting a LL does not necessarily equate to tooth show when you part your lips. Thanks again for the intriguing article.
MischiefMermaids, You are correct, it seems as though he is the only one who does this "stomapexy" procedure and for that reason alone, I certainly would not recommend it, but I just thought it was interesting reading!!
Oh, I forgot to mention, if after your liplift you feel as though you want more removed, you can always go back, but as you know, if too much is removed there is no turning back!
Excellent reminder!

Hey girls, I found another informative article on the LL procedure in case any of you want to check it out. It's from Dr. Joseph Niamtu's blog. He also has a video clip of the LL procedure being performed, on his website. Here's where to find the article: http://niamtu.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/lip-reductionsometimes-needles-are-not-enough/

Great article. Thank for sharing!
You are so smart that you did your research. Unfortunately I am left with permanent damage (for the rest of my life!) because I had my OO muscle operated on too. Speaking and eating will be a chore everyday for the rest of my life. These are things that we take for granted.
I want to thank you for all your research and for posting your pics. Your results look so beautiful! Keep us updated please.
You look GREAT!!! I did a phone consult with Dr. H today. I'm in California, but honestly it seems worth the trip to me!
Wow! Your results are great and your recovery time is a lot shorter than other stories. Did you have any nostril distortion at all? I read that that's a common problem. Do you happen to know if he "hemmed the muscle" and lifted the muscle as well as the skin or just the skin?
No nasal sill/nostril distortion and yes, the recovery was amazing! I'd read horror stories and was prepared for the worst, it was fine. He didn't touch the muscle, just removed a small strip of skin. Dr. Haworth in Bev. Hills does the muscle hemming technique which just seems fraught with problems. Dr. Svehlak (in LA) sutures the skin to the underlying muscle which can also yield really negative results over time. (I consulted with both of them, and didn't particularly care for their demeanor or approach). Dr. Rodriguez in Baltimore, Dr. Epstein in Miami, and Dr. Horndeski in Houston don't touch the muscle. Hope that helps! :)
Thanks so much for all of your info -- it's been so helpful to those of us interested in this procedure. And by the way you look gorgeous in your latest photos! Absolutely amazing!
I'm so glad to be reading this. I am scheduled for LL surgery with Dr. Svehlak later thus summer, after consulting with him by phone (sent him photos). He was really nice and spent quality time with me, but the cost is about $5,000, plus what I will have to spend on airfare and hotel as he asks his LL patients to stay in town for five days - he removes stitches on day 5. I did a Skype consult with Dr. Rodriguez and he was great on the phone too. Dr. R was half the cost of Dr. S. and said he has done over a hundred LL's. the only thing that gave me pause with Dr. R. was that he does dissolvable stitches and I read a review where that can be bad because the scar doesn't heal as nicely. What stitch technique did Dr. Horndeski use on your procedure? Thank you!
Dr. Horndeski uses regular sutures but you can't see them, which is amazing! Literally you can see the ends of the sutures on the left and right side of the nostrils, but none in the middle (I've also seen pictures of where you can see each individual suture underneath the nose) but this wasn't the case. Here's the other great thing about Dr. H: if you can't stay for the entire 5 days, he said you can pull the sutures out yourself when you get home if you can't stay 5 days. I know, it sounds really freaky and really gross, but he showed me how to do it, when he removed mine. I had to cut my trip short by a day and I notified his nurse over the weekend that I'd need to fly back a day sooner. I asked if he could just remove them on Day 4 or would I need to wait and do it by myself and she asked me to send her a pic via text message of how it looked. She said it should be fine for him to remove it on Day 4 (which was Monday, since I had my surgery the previous Friday). I went in to see him, he literally grabbed one end of the suture and pulled. It was a really weird tugging sensation, but 5 seconds later, it was done. So, I would say that if you can stay 4-5 days (i.e., fly in on Friday, get it done Friday afternoon, fly out Monday or Tuesday), then great. But if not, you can always just fly in for the procedure, stay for a day or so, fly back out and pull the suture out yourself when you get home. Also Dr. H does Skype, so if you wanted, you could have him with you on Skype when you removed the sutures (for moral support as well as guidance) ;)
Thank you so much for all the insights! I am going to call to check his schedule. Where did you stay (which hotel), and could you eat regular food afterwards or did you have to drink liquids?