IPL and Palomar 1540 Laser Scar Removal - Stony Brook, NY

I started laser scar removal in July at my...

I started laser scar removal in July at my dermatologists office with Kayleigh who is a licensed nurse and esthetician. I've been suffering from severe scars due to ingrown hair cysts on my legs. I had been picking at them to remove the hair and I ended up with terrible thick dark scars all over. I went to my dermatologist Dr. Rafal absolutely distraught over this. She took a look at me and very homestly saorecommended all the bleaching creams etc; I had already gone that route with no significant difference. So, the next step was laser scar removal. She introduced me to Kayleigh who was the laser tech. She was very upfront with me and said dont expect a perfect miracle. We can definitely get your scars minimized but, nothing is 100% effective. Once u have a scar it's pretty much there forever. I remember feeling really let down at that moment but, still hopeful. I went home that night and began googling IPL and palomar 1540 laser scar removal. I came across this site and it scared me half to death. There was so many horror stories. I almost considered cancelling this procedure. I'm so glad I didn't. Dr. Rafal my dermatologist and Kayleigh my laser scar removal tech have worked hand in hand together to get me the best results. They have shown such concern and care. Kayleigh does the IPL first and then the palomar 1540. It does sting but, it's tolerable. Dr. Rafal has me in a regimen of obaji clear bleaching cream and glycolic lotion 15%. I have to discontinue use 2 weeks prior to my next procedure. I just had my 4th treatment today. They say you need at least 5 or 6. I may need more because of the severity of my scars. But, I can honestly say I have had some dramatic improvement on my scars. Some of them are barely visible, others are faded and the ones that where worst are about 50% better and in only half way thru this process. I just felt compelled to tell my experience because, I know I had read so many negative stories about this. I felt maybe I should share my positive story so people can hear the good as well as the bad. I strongly urge anyway considering this process to go a Dr.'s office and make sure whomever is using the laser is licensed and knowledgeable. Because, it can burn and ruin your skin if you use someone who is not fully educated about the laser and licensed to use it.

Happy to help

I just wanted to add that if anyone is considering this process of laser scar removal you can feel free to ask me any questions. I'm happy to help. I know the emotional anguish that goes along with be scarred. I am a female who always took pride in taking good care of myself. My struggle with deep folliculitis started out of the blue a few years ago. It destroyed my legs along with my self esteem. I began to pick at these deep ingrown hair cysts obsessively to try to remove them. I'm left with prob close to 30-40 scars all over my legs. I haven't been comfortable enough to wear a dress or skirt. Haven't been able to go to the beach or swimming because, I'm afraid people will make fun of me. Worst off I'm too humiliated to even date. It's become the most emotionally devestating thing for me. There is hope. Just be realistic about it. There may never be perfect results but, there can be good results. Be smart, do ur homework and be prepared for some downtime. If you combine the IPL and palomar expect your treated spots to get bright red after treatment and then turn brown like coffee grinds. Until these flake off (do not peel) you will have to hide them with make up. Luckily I'm having my legs done so my pants cover them. For some reason I did read the legs take slower to heal and don't heal as well as the face or other parts of the body. Good luck to all of you who are considering this. So far, I've found this particular combo of IPL and palomar 1540 laser combined with Obaji and glycolic lotion 15% to be successful. The only other thing my Dermatologist might do is add some intralesional injections into the puffy scars. Most importantly do not pick and wear sunscreen and avoid the sun.
Stony Brook Dermatologist

Kayleigh M. Quinn is the laser technician at Dr. Rafael's office.

You are so lucky to have found a great doctor and technician. Best of luck with your treatments. Glad to hear your getting good results. Thank you for sharing your story.
Thank you so much! I feel very blessed to have found my Dermatologist and Laser Technician. They have been so caring and concerned for me. I must've been to 8 different Dr.'s before I found her. It's been a long road and I'm not thru the woods yet but, for the first time in a few years I can actually see that getting my life back is possible.

Thank you so much for sharing your story! It's wonderful that you are seeing great results!! Would love it if you could post some photos if you feel comfortable with that. Keep us posted :)

Hi Eva.. It's my pleasure to share my story. I only hope that others that are dealing with a similar situation will realize there is hope. It breaks my heart to hear about the horror stories so many have endured from laser. It goes to show that it's all about the person who is treating you. My technician took a bunch of pics from before treatment and she is taking some as we go. When I finish up I will ask her to send me all the Jpegs and ill post a timeline of the scars. I think that will be a great deal of help to others. Since it is on my legs nobody will see my face and I can still remain somewhat anyonymus. :)

Thanks so much!! I love it "since it's on my legs...." that was cute :)

Look forward to your photo update.