Still Have Swelling and Bumpiness 4 Weeks After SmartLipo on my Chin

I had weight loss surgery 3 years ago. My double...

I had weight loss surgery 3 years ago. My double chin improved some but seemed to be saggy and I could see I was starting to develop my mothers jowls. I had seen SmartLipo all over the news and decided that would be a smart choice for me.

I have to say the procedure was extremely simple. Much easier then I had anticipated. I felt no pain and in fact, I think I fell asleep during the 60 minutes it took to complete.

I did have an unusual amount of swelling and bruising. Even my doctor was suprised. I bruised from my neck to my ears. The pain was minimal, just sore like a sunburn. I took one Vicodin the first night to help me sleep because I was advised to sleep sitting upright to aid in swelling reduction. I still have some areas that are sore to the touch but with massage they feel much better.

My jaw line and neck look great, very sculpted. However, I do have a line of swelling under my chin thay concerns me. I am having weekly lymphatic drainage massages and SmartSound treatments and am noticing slow improvement.

I'm trying not to panic as I know it takes several months to get the final result.

If this area dissipates, I would say that SmartLipo was 100% worth it. What I see so far is great. If it remains and I have to be retreated maybe I may feel differently.

Dr. Mark Lowney

Dr Lowney is very kind and will take his time to explain everything. He seems to have a genuine love for cosmetics and is well trained. His office is very accommodating with my crazy work schedule.

i had smart lipo triplex done 10 days back on cnj my jaw line has small improvement but below the chin is saggy and i am very concerned with dr on 3rd day visit was happy with the results not me and now she is asking venus freeze will help i wanted to know from other people who had saggy skin below chin if eventually it went away or not
I had my jowls and neck done. It is 4 weeks post op. The right side jowl looks smoother than the left. I actually have a crease from the lump which now give me the howdy doody look. My neck has loose skin and I am concerned that this may not have worked for me. The surgeon said I would be very pleased because I didn't have a lot of fat to remove. However this turkey neck look is what I was trying to get rid of. He told me my age was no problem. I am 64. I just had my flanks done 2 weeks ago and I see the difference now and I'm, very pleased. I just want my face to respond as well. I was told it's still too early to be concerned so it's good to hear from others. Do you have any advice for me. I am still wearing the head compression dressing to bed every night even after 4 weeks.
Thank you... I appreciate it
I will keep you posted
3 weeks is way too soon to notice any results. Try to be patient and re-evaluate it at the 3 month mark! We all want to see instant results especially when it's on our face! But with any cosmetic procedure (especially lipo) the real results aren't really evident until 6-12 months post op! Had my upper arms done with Smart Lipo Triplex last fall and I had tremendous skin retraction. However, it took several months!

I will be patient but... I have been taking photos every week to see the improvement and it looks to me my profile a day after the Smartlipo looked better then it does now. Which seems strange.

Another Question? The first 3 days I had to wear the Velcro strap around my chin. Plus for the following 3 weeks at night I supposed to wear it. It is now going on the 4th week, do you know if it still a benefit to wear it. I am seeing the DR next week and it will be one of my questions.
I see 2 different docs for my lipo as each one has their specialty "area". My second doc who did my arms is a facial specialist. He believes light/short term compression is best. However, my chin doc had me do the compression just like you're doing. Not to worry you but I've had 2 revisions to my chin. First additional lipo about 6 months post op, and just a month ago a fat transfer (he actually took out too much during my revision and left me with banding and pulling). So does the skin tighten? definitely. Things can be revised, so no worries if it isn't perfect. Chin's are the hardest area to get perfect!
I had smartlipo 3 weeks ago on my chin. My main problem was it was sagging down in the middle.

It has been 3 weeks and I am still not happy because I feel the skin still looks saggy. (not as much) my doctor is telling me to be patient, but I am nervous it will not tighten up.

Is this true?

Chins are one of the most difficult areas to get smooth with lipo. I found this out after talking to several board certified plastic surgeons after my revision. Hopefully your doc will do a revision for you at little to no charge, especially if he left fat behind!!
The tightness and soreness lasted for months with me and I promise it will feel normal again! I had 70cc's removed the first time and about 12 cc's at the revision. The tightness is swelling or sometimes from the laser. I looked worse then I did before too and was very discouraged. It's still not perfect directly underneath but I'm hoping it will continue to improve over time. I'll get those photos to you soon! Don't worry too much, I know it's hard because you want to see the final results! Try to be patient, I was the same way :)
Did you stretch your neck and chin? My doctor advised me to start stretching those muscles even if it feels like it's pulling. They did reassure me that the uneveness and holes do smooth out over time and even though most people would be healed at 90% by now some people are slower at healing. When you had your revision done did you find that you are healing the same as your first procedure?
I had smartlipo on cnj 2 weeks ago, am not happy with results so far.Will this rippled fat go away or will i need another procedrure that I cant afford I wish they would tell you how you were really going to look!!! Boy was I blindsided
If you don't mind my asking, How old are you? I'm forty and worried my skin is not going to tighten up like I had hoped. I am almost four weeks post op. My chin is much better, still a little bumpy though. I have cought a glimpse of myself in natural light a few times and was startled. I've been paranoied when talking to people that are looking up at me. I also have a slight crease from my ear to under my neck. This has been so stressful!

I have heard that in 4 weeks you should see a 90% improvement, I hope this is not true for everyone! I had very little fat removed so I was told I would heal much quicker than most people. I am hoping it really is just swelling like you said and not my final result...I look worse than I did before the procedure, there is a line of puffiness that is right above the jawline bone but in the shape of my jaw so I'm hoping the doctor wasn't too agressive or sucked out too much. The puckering looks like the only way it would go away is if fat moved into the area, since it's more like a hole. I am very pleased with one side of my face but the other side is embarassing. I have not had any lumps but its very tight and tender underneath the chin.

Thank you so much, look forward to seeing your results. I did get a facial massage a few days ago and I do agree it helped with the tightness and soreness, I feel like I have superglue under my skin when I try and move my head back or stretch my chin forward. Does it ever feel like normal skin again?

I actually had a revision (a second procedure) in August '09 because of some residual fat pockets. My jawline is much more sculpted now but I still have some minor lumpiness right underneath in the middle. However, I'm happy overall. Another plastic surgeon advised me to not touch the area again for at least a year to allow for proper healing. He also told me the chin is one of the hardest areas to lipo, and it is very common for lumpiness to occur but to be sure to allow lots of time for healing.
Did you ever experience puckering, almost like a dimple? Also did the residual fat pockets look loose or were they lumpy and firm? I am concerned because it looks like one side of my jaw is uneven, due to the pucker. I also noticed when I turn my head I see wrinkles where it is uneven and below the jawline looks puffy and didn't tighten up like the other side did, when I touch it feels like the rest of my skin, not hard like the other side. I can't tell if it's swelling, it's been almost 3 weeks post op. How long did you have to wait for the revision?
I had my chin, jowls and neck done on Feb. 26th, about a month before you did. I still have some lumps and bumps but they are going down week by week. Some days I find it looks worse then others, it's strange. I go for lymphatic drainage massages on the area once a week plus I massage daily and this really helps. They say the chin area takes at least 3 months before you begin to see the real results. Some days I get really discouraged but I guess we have to be patient! It does get better so don't worry. Initially I thought I had made a huge mistake having the procedure because I looked worse then when I started, but as the weeks go by I am feeling better about it.
I'm curious as to how your chin and jowls turned out? I am a little concerned about my chin/jowl area and am hoping it gets better with time.
I had my abdomen, flanks, jowls and chin done on March 20, 2009. I am very happy with the abdomen, flanks and neck. The jowl area concerns me. It is real lumpy and has obvious puckering which makes my skin look older than it is and it is still tender to touch. I have been massaging the area for awhile now. How many of you have had the same problem? I realize that it will take a couple months to see the end result. Still hoping to see a change for the better.
Did the puckering smooth out? I am experiencing the same issue.
Glad I could help some. I had a bumpy neck for what seemed to be forever, but it really takes time. Good luck!
Thank you so much, you have made me feel a lot better. I've been depressed over this and very self conscious. I work in health care and I always feel like people are looking at my weird, bumpy chin!
I had by chin and jowls done in Oct 08, I was swollen for months and still have a little more swelling to go. The swelling and lumpiness started to really go down a the 3+ month mark. Be patient it really does take time. But is worth it. I hope you are extremely happy with your final results.