Ready for better breathing and a softer look - Stanford, CA

I have my rhinoplasty/septoplasty scheduled for...

I have my rhinoplasty/septoplasty scheduled for next year. Honestly, it has been torture waiting to have the procedure just because of the excitement but I think that booking it so far out (completely my choice) has forced me to think about any refinements I want to make in the choices that the doctor and I already discussed. Booking it so far out has also given me time to let the reality of the procedure really set in before I have it done.

I had my consult with the doctor over a month ago. I felt comfortable with my doctor the moment I met him- he made what was a nervous situation for me very comfortable. I can say that I went into the appointment thinking I knew what I wanted but I can say now that I didn't. By no means did he change my mind or sway me any particular way, what I mean is that as a doctor, he has much better insight into the workings of the procedure than a lay person like myself. He knew how to deal with that since he brought up topics about the procedure that I had forgotten to ask. He actually cared to take all the time possible during my consult to give me information and ask what I wanted from the procedure.

Now about my nose: I have a significantly deviated septum (in my humble opinion), a fair dorsal hump, and slightly drooping tip. There has been nothing in my life to prompt me to have the procedure considering that I have never been teased about my nose. With that said, I am doing this solely for me. I have two benefits that will come of this procedure- improved breathing and a softer appearance that I enjoy.

I think what I look most forward to after having this procedure is being able to smile without my nose drooping significantly downward and feeling what it is like to breathe out of both my nostrils.

A Few Before Photos

I do not have access to my computer with the majority of my before photos but I have a couple that show some of the problem.

More Before Photos

I wanted to update with some more photos. My nose really projects when I smile and also moves crookedly to the left because of the deviation. Anyone else had a similar profile as I do?

How to deal with coworkers

Before I say anything, I want to get out there that I am getting this surgery done completely for me. I am not trying to impress anyone else besides myself. If I did not have that mentality, I sure as hell would not do this because of all the side chat I know will go on at work when I go back.

I work in an environment where when people do things like this (cosmetic procedures, dressing differently), they become the topic of office jokes both behind their back and condescendingly to their face. I know I will be no different once I have my nose done. Although I don't care what they all think of my nose (my reasons for doing it are my business in my opinion), it is also uncomfortable and distracting to deal with people who might try to make the change less positive. I don't want to have to explain anything- that I did it for my health and that I also did it because I wanted to improve my appearance.

Phew, okay, now that I have that off my chest, what have some of you done to deal with going back to work? What were some experiences you had both positive and negative? I want to be mentally prepared for the unnecessary beat-down I might get.

Pre-op Appointment

I had my pre-op appointment a few days ago. It was very straight forward and went smoothly. I met the nurses and doctors that will be there the day of my surgery. Everyone was friendly, knowledgeable and more than willing and answer questions.

What I like about Dr.Most is how practical, concise, and realistic he is. He made no false promises and was very clear about what I should expect for my outcome. He expressed that removing the dorsal hump on my nose was not going to be an issue. However, he did say that straightening my septum will be a challenge since it is fairly bent into a c shape (not sure how well you can see that in the photo I provided). Of course, he promised his best and I am sure he will not disappoint.

With all of the time I have had to do research before my surgery, I really only had one main question for him and that was regarding "nostril show" after surgery. I REALLY do not want to have my nostrils show from the front any more than they do now. He addressed my concerns and made me feel confident that any show increase from the front would be minimal, but may occur slightly. I can appreciate that he was completely realistic about it.

I am beyond excited to have the surgery done. I have 100% confidence in my doctor having seen his previous work and having talked to him. I really think he was the best choice. I can't wait to show you all my after photos in February!

Simulations

Only a few more days to go and I am obsessing over my septorhinoplasty. Here is a cropped version of the before/after simulations the doctor sent me. They tell a better story in the context of my whole face rather than the cropped version though.

Day of Surgery

It has been a few hours after surgery and I can say that I am already highly impressed with the entire team at Stanford. Not only is every single person friendly and understanding in the whole process, they are knowledgeable and organized.

I was feeling good from the moment I woke up. Actually, if it wasn't for the bleeding (which is normal), I feel like I could be up and on a hike if you can believe that. I was so surprised when I woke up and I was breathing through my nose. As suggested by the doctor previously, he seldom needs to pack the nose and thank goodness for this comfort!

I can already tell from the view beneath my nose that my deviation is fixed. Very excited and very positive right now.

6 Day Update

It has been an experience to say the least the past few days. I didn't sleep at all the first two nights and luckily got in some naps the following two days. Last night was the first night I slept for 4 hours straight which was great. It wasn't because of pain, it was just overall discomfort. I should mention I used ZZZQuil to help me sleep (I did not take pain killers with it).

Each day, the swelling that was at my eyes the second day has moved down. Now it has moved down to my cheeks and jaw and is just sitting there. I really hope the swelling in my cheeks goes down soon because it has been sitting there for 3 days now and it's a funny sight. Anyone else have a similar thing happen with the swelling?

Other than that, the bruising around my eyes has gone yellow at this point and is moving along.

I get the stents out of my nose tomorrow (to keep it straight since I had septoplasty too). I am not sure how painful that will be but I have not been able to breathe from my nose for 6 days. Not because of packing, but because of the stents and swelling from the septoplasty portion.

Excited for tomorrow so I can post pictures :)
Dr. Sam Most

Hey girl, how did it turn out? Hope you're breathing better, happy and well with your results!
Hey! Any updates? I hope you are well :)
Glad you're feeling we'll. happy recovery :)
Well*
Thank you...your recovery is encouraging. :)
What a lovely "after" sim!!!! Can't wait to see you result!
How exciting your surgery is just around the corner. I look forward yo following your journey. Thanks for the update.
Thanks...starting to get nerves but more excitement than anything!
Your big day is coming up! Excited for you!
Thanks! Just had my pre-op two days ago. It was really straight forward. I can't wait!!
I'm really sorry to hear about your gossipy coworkers. Seems kind of childish to be honest! But I think that since your change will be a positive one (also to fix your deviated septum), the comments probably won't be as condescending as you expect. Luckily for me, I was ready for life after only 1 week. With a little makeup and playing with my hair, no one noticed at all. Especially by the 2nd week when most of hte swelling is gone and the sutures/incisionhas healed completely, you would be astounded at the fact that you still look like you. A good way to deal with mean coworkers is to just hold your head high and own it. If they guess you had something done, so what?! You'll look and breathe better. A little confidence will go a long way! :)
I also have my surgery scheduled with Dr. Most and I was also immediately comfortable with him. I'm more than happy to give you any extra details as I continue. I'm scheduled for October 30th. :) Good luck! Message me anytime!
Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you!
Will your insurance cover part of the op cost since you have breathing issues? Good luck.
I did not try to go through insurance because I have HMO and when I asked my doctor to refer me he told me that it was purely cosmetic and that he would not refer me to a specialist because of that. Not to mention even if he did, I would have to go with a Kaiser plastic surgeon and I'm not taking that risk! I could enroll in another health plan for next year but I want to do more research on other outcomes of doing so. As much as HMO can be restricting, it i also very convenient. I will update with the verdict.
Oh, and to add, the PS that I went with did mention to me that it was possible to get coverage if I switched and went through the proper modes of testing.
Pray for me that everything goes as planned!
Will do :) It's such a delicate surgery!
I have a dorsal hump and a drooping tip too! My procedure is scheduled on the 23rd with Dr. Most. I booked the surgery with him one month out from my initial consultation, I'm not as patient as you! :) Good luck, I hope yours turns out well!
Thank you! I am booked with Dr.Most as well. I am going to follow your experience very closely since we have a similar situation. I'll post pictures soon so that you can see what my nose is like. I am middle eastern so it's a little different from yours but we have the same issues. I hope your recovery goes smoothly. I am excited just to hear how close your procedure is. You must be very excited :)
I am definitely excited, but a little nervous :) Mostly impatient and ready to get this thing done already, haha! The anticipation is killing me! Thanks for uploading your pics- from the profile I definitely see similar hump/tip issues although your tip is not bulbous as mine is (hello Asian heritage, sigh, you're such a lucky duck), and your radix isn't too low (mine is- have to add some temporalis fascia there!). No wonder you've never been teased! I'm sure you're absolutely stunning :) but I love that you're doing this for yourself. That's a wonderful reason to get this done, IMO! Good luck!!!!!!

Thanks for starting your story on RealSelf! I can attest that it's super liberating not having to think about how much you dislike your nose after a good rhinoplasty. Please keep us posted as you get nearer your big day. You can also gather supplies while you're waiting. :)

Thanks for sharing the page.
You do what you need to do...I have one more consult in a couple of weeks and I'm so anxious I don't want to wait, but the correct thing to do is to get a second opinion. As soon as I meet with the next doc, I'm booking my procedure asap because it's what I want and I ant my new me before years end. Don't take too long to decide because you'll be deciding forever.
Do you have an idea of when you are going to schedule your surgery? Will you be doing it this year?